Can We Ever Be Happy With What We Have?

Posted on March 27, 2011 in Youth Affairs

 

By Salony Satpathy:

“We may pass violets looking for roses. We may pass contentment looking for victory.”

It is a fast paced world and faster is the occurrence of dreams, desires and hopes. In today’s throat-slitting competition, everyone aims to be in the limelight and achieve the best that can be offered. In such a competitive era, where material and physical success has become synonymous with achievement, a very basic question arises: Are we contented? After all, it is assumed that all our hard work and hard-earned money and fame are supposed to contribute to our contentment. If the answer is negative, then what purpose do our so-called “achievements” serve? If we take a poll, 90% of the population will say that they are not content. Out of the other 10%, 9% are probably lying as they do not want to be open about their wants.

Everyone wants to achieve more. It may be a better salary, or a better job, or a promotion, the list of our desires is endless. Pressure builds up, expectations shoot and a queue of people has to be satisfied apart from ourselves. So does this mean that we adopt a carefree attitude and shun our dreams, desires and expectations? The answer is a clear and resounding “No.” The need of the day is to look into ourselves, find our true aspirations, work towards them, but at the same time, make sure that we are not overburdened.

It is advisable to spend some time each day with ourselves and our loved ones. Taking up a feasible hobby or some activity that can relax us is a good option as well. After all, “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.” If dancing gets us going, it should be incorporated in our daily lives. If fishing calms us, it can be included in our weekend plans.

We have to learn to enjoy what we are doing, that will happen only through passion and a positive attitude. This will decide whether we are content or not. Spirituality has the solutions to all our problems. If we connect with ourselves spiritually, we will never be discontented. A few minutes of meditation per day or a dose of yoga act as elixir for our souls which have been scathed due to the miseries in life. If we are able to see the fountain that runs cool water to quench the thirst of each passer-by, travelling will become less strenuous and smoother. Also, being contented is in no way being selfish as it is not only us who will benefit.

Contentment leads to an inner peace and happiness that makes the world around us a better place to live in. As a result we are happy and this reflects in our interaction and relationship with others as well. Thus, indirectly we affect their happiness as well.

Contentment of one person is able to arouse good and healthy feelings and happiness in everyone. It is thus the fodder for the soul. What is required is a balance between what we have to do and what we like to do. If we only do things we like, it will give rise to guilt at some point or the other, which will in turn lead to discontent. Thus a balanced lifestyle will fortify our souls and lead to our contentment and general well-being.

Img: http://regansravings.blogspot.com/2011/01/finding-contentment-in-our-busy-world.html

Youth Ki Awaaz

India's largest platform for young people to express themselves on critical issues - making best use of new media and online journalism.

Submit Your Story

Comments

You must be logged in to comment.

If you sign up with Google, Twitter or Facebook, we’ll automatically import your bio which you will be able to edit/change after logging in. Also, we’ll never post to Twitter or Facebook without your permission. We take privacy very seriously. For more info, please see Terms.

Dilip Satpathy

Its a good article. One should know his/her inherent strength and try to hone up the same to achieve ultimate happiness.Overstretching in an area where he or she is not competent will land up in chaotic situation thereby increase the level of frustration. No trade or profession is bad. One should try his/her hand in such an subject where his/her skillset fits as per his/her upbringing and attitude….

#StartTheChange

Submit your story