Exit Exam For Medical Students – The Brain-Child Of A Revolutionary Mind

Posted on March 26, 2011 in Learning+

By Srishti Chauhan:

A recent proposal by the Medical Council of India (MCI) regarding an ‘exit exam’ for students is encountering a number of thumbs-up from various agencies like the Indian Medical Association (IMA) as well the different government-owned medical colleges.

The idea proposes to test the clinical skills of students post their one year-long internship. The idea is welcomed by IMA as it feels that this will lead to an improvement in the quality of doctors in the country.

With a flood of private medical colleges, the quality of doctors has degraded substantially. The reason for the same is quite simple. In a government college, no professor benefits from passing a student. They are unbiased as the passing or failing of a student does not affect them.

On the contrary, a private medical college often prioritizes the building of reputation amongst the customer base relative to quality of education imparted. Moreover, rampant corruption induces selling of exam papers as well as passing students who can shell out enough money for the same.

This exam, if implemented, will test the students on practical knowledge that they acquire over the years they spend in a medical college. This will lead to more seriousness amongst the students about the significance of their job.

Another massive problem that this will address is that all students, irrespective of whether they are from general category or from a reservation background, shall be tested on an even ground and this will equalize any difference in ability that the private hospitals may perceive. If a student from, say an OBC quota is able to clear the exam then there will be no doubt regarding his ability in the minds of the private hospitals.

However, like all good ideas, this one too shall face opposition from the medical colleges that have been rampantly involved in malpractices where producing doctors is concerned. Also, if this exam is not centralized, it is likely that colleges will set the papers and the practical such that most of their students are likely to clear it. The centralization of the exam is, therefore, a must.

Moreover, this exam will not put any extra pressure on the minds of the students. As is a known fact, the more difficult your task is, the better you are valued. Students, generally, aim to pursue post graduation degrees like MS (Master of Surgery) of MD (Doctor of Medicine) post their graduation. For the entrance of the institutes that offer post graduation, the students need to be well versed with all the knowledge that has been imparted to them in the span of the 4 years they spend in the college. Therefore, this exam shall be an added practice for the students who shall anyway have to revise their courses.

This exam shall be a way forward in the history of medicine in the country. India- already known for producing world-class doctors- shall move several rungs higher up in the ranking of doctoral abilities. Moreover, earlier there were few very exceptional doctors that made the country proud. With the implementation of this system, the average quality of doctors in the country shall go up enormously. Also, the implementation of this system shall lead to a change in the mindset of developed nations where students from India who are pursuing post graduation are not allowed to take up core areas of medicine like cardiology and neurology very easily.

Lastly, the lack of good doctors working in rural areas for the enhancement of health status has been an ever-increasing crisis faced by the country. The outflow of good doctors well versed in their subjects and tested in their skills-from both governmental as well as private institutions will address and reduce this problem to a large extent. With this, all that is left is for the MCI to give a green flag for the implementation of this much desired idea!

The writer is a Correspondent of Youth Ki Awaaz and a student of Delhi University.

Img: http://www.mynews.in/image_gallery.php?cat=S19&iid=84476

agrwl

https://www.change.org/p/2009230?just_created=true SIGN THE PETITION FOR HEALTY TOMORROW. We on behalf of PBMCI hearty congratulate health minister for innovative proposal of uniform exit exam for medical graduates to maintain uniformity in medical education. We also congratulate you for making it mandatory for permanent registration thereby overturning the malafide intention of MCI to avoid scrutiny of doctors produced under its own corrupt system. We also condemn the mci for having proposed exit exam to be optional there by attemptimg to shield competency of doctors produced by medical mafia controlled private colleges. Scores of dubious private medical college openly auction their seats in crores & pass them from their own private universities by taking crores again. People of india have every right to know if these graduates possess basic medical skills before allowing them to play with their life.

agrwl

https://www.change.org/p/2009230?just_created=true
SIGN THE PETITION FOR HEALTY TOMORROW.
We on behalf of PBMCI hearty congratulate health minister for innovative proposal of uniform exit exam for medical graduates to maintain uniformity in medical education. We also congratulate you for making it mandatory for permanent registration thereby overturning the malafide intention of MCI to avoid scrutiny of doctors produced under its own corrupt system. We also condemn the mci for having proposed exit exam to be optional there by attemptimg to shield competency of doctors produced by medical mafia controlled private colleges.
Scores of dubious private medical college openly auction their seats in crores & pass them from their own private universities by taking crores again. People of india have every right to know if these graduates possess basic medical skills before allowing them to play with their life.

agrwl

People for betterment of
Foreign Medical Graduates
President: R K Agrawal,
231, Lalbaug, Morbi-2
Gujarat
Dt.30.08.2014
To,
Health minister,
Govt of India,
New Delhi
Sub:- Providing level playing field to foreign medical graduates.

Ref:- 1. PBFMG letter dated 30.06.2014 titled “ Plight of foreign medical graduates & ways to improve supply of competent doctors while eliminating all types of incompetent doctors.
2. PBFMG letter dated 30.06.2014 titled ‘ Plight of foreign medical graduates’
3. PBFMG letter dated 10.07.2014 titled ‘ National exit exam for medical graduates.

R sir,
We on behalf of PBFMG hearty congratulate you & the committee formed by your good self for having come up with the brilliant proposal of exit exam which ensures uniform standards in medical education by making it mandatory for permanent registration & at the same time not affecting supply by innovative provision of temporary registration.

We also congratulate you & the committee to incorporate mandatory provisions to appear & pass the test for permanent registration, thereby overturning the malafide intention of MCI, giving option to local graduates to by pass the exam, to avoid scrutiny of doctors produced by medical mafia controlled private colleges under MCI’s own corrupt system. Hope, its their last try to avoid scrutiny of doctors produced by these dubious colleges. Let the people know if their competency level before allowing them to play with their life.

Scores of private medical colleges openly auction their seats in crores & pass them from their own private universities by taking crores again. Concerns regarding standards of education in such colleges are systematically overlooked by MCI, deciding their recognition & derecognition based on the weight of suitcase such colleges carry for likes of ketan desai in MCI.

Foreign medical graduates, on the other hand, are the committed souls to this profession, having earned their admission in adverse terrains, without paying a single paisa by way of black money & donations to MCI or the medical mafia. Their admissions were till recently directly monitored by MCI by way of eligibility certificate. The process was much cleaner than the way private college mafia takes admission in their colleges by open auction of seats through daily advertisement in local newspapers.
Still private college mafia in convenience with likes of ketan desai in MCI, having received no black money or donation from foreign students, has long been branding foreign graduates as incompetent by subjecting them to highly discriminatory level of screening test designed purposely to fail students to incite fear psychosis of not to go abroad & rather fall pray to private college seats, filled at huge donations. It is requested to direct MCI to desist itself from branding of foreign graduates as incompetent till relative level of competence is established by uniform application of exit exam to foreign graduates vis-a-viz medical mafia controlled private college graduates.

MCI in its history since independence didn’t find a single doctor fit for major penalty. It was foreign experienced doctor, who lost her wife while travelling to india, who compelled MCI to take few such steps in recent time through various litigations in which MCI was seen taking side of negligent doctors but MCI was forced to swallow her words, & thereby tought some lessions in competency to MCI itself.

It is therefore requested to give level playing field to foreign medical graduates by applying all the provisions of exit exam including the provisions of temporary registration uniformly in toto, in letter & in sprit to allow fair comparison of foreign medical graduates vis-a-vis medical mafia controlled private college graduates & let the country know the actual competency level of both.

Uniform application of exit exam to all, even if he is a foreigner, is the established norm world over. USA ,Canada, austrailia, newzealand or even the least developed Nepal follow this principal. In our case, these foreign graduates are not even foreigners. They are the very sons of mother india.

If at all india chooses to play in the hands of media mafia & likes of ketan desai in MCI once again & apply different yard stick for local & foreign graduates, which I am sure it will not, then india will have the dubious distinction of being the only country in the whole world, doing so.

This will send wrong signals the world over that medical mafia & likes of ketan desai in MCI still prevails in the country irrespective of political party in power.

I sincerely hope BJP will not let it happen.

Thanking you,

yours faithfully,

(Rk agrawal)

Copy to Respected Prime Minister of PMO India

Copy to medical council of india

agrwl

People for betterment of
Foreign Medical Graduates
President: R K Agrawal,
231, Lalbaug, Morbi-2
Gujarat
Dt.10.07. 2014
To,
The health minister,
MOHFW,
GOI,
ND
Sub:-Plight of Foreign Medical Graduates
R/sir,
REASON FOR STUDENTS OPTING FOR FOREIGN MEDICAL EDUCATION
Thousands of meritorious youth, who could not afford Crores of Donation & could not get meagrely available Govt. seats, go abroad for economical medical education.
DISCRIMINATION BEING METED OUT TO THEM BY MCI ON RETURN
But on return, they are being discriminated in the name of screening test by the MCI, in collusion with NBE. A glance at the pass percentage of screening tests (just 10% to 20% with an average of 15%) will reveal the amount of discrimination being meted out by MCI to these graduates. FOR THE LAST 2 SEASONS IT IS EXPECTED TO BE WORSE, LESS THAN 10%.
MCI’S ARGUMENT
I do not buy MCI’s argument that medical education all over the world is not up to standards as justification for such a low pass percentage. How come they have much better healthcare system than India has ? And if 90% graduates are indeed not worthy, why not ban this worthless education completely?
ACTUAL REASON
However, the fact is that such discriminatorily low passing percentage is kept deliberately to incite fear psychosis in the minds of students, so that they do not go abroad & ultimately fall pray to Pvt. Colleges. As the fear increases, demand for private medical seats increases,as the demand increases, the donation amount increases. Part of donation goes to MCI bosses is no more a secrete..
SITUATION OF PRIVATE MEDICAL COLLEGES
Scores of Pvt. colleges openly auction their seats in crores, & pass their students from their own Pvt universities by taking crores again. We know how their faculties & facilities are checked by MCI, which exist only on paper. However, the quality of Doctors produced is nowhere checked even on paper. They all are blanketly stamped competent without any scrutiny.
POINTED QUESTIONS TO MCI
Has MCI ever checked the standard of these Pvt. Medical College students by subjecting them to such a test?
Is it not possible that MCI is asking for some alien standards from foreign college graduates, which its own Pvt. College graduates do not possess?
THE PERMANENT SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM
In MCI vision 2015 document, the impartial Govt appointed BOG of MCI smelt the foul play of private college controlled BOG of MCI & also the competency concerns against private medical college graduates & hence proposed national exit exam being mandatory by 2015. As the private college mafia controlled BOG of MCI is now back in control, they have sent a proposal to health ministry in March –April 2014 for national exit exam, but changed the core of it to be optional for local graduates initially. MCI isn’t concerned about competency level of private medical college graduates & wants to continue its loot for some more years. God knows how long this ‘initially’ will mean.
WE DEMAND THAT THE PROPOSAL OF MCI BE CLEARED IMMEDIATELY IN ITS PRESENT FORM SO THAT A STAGE IS SET FOR NATIONAL EXIT EXAM.
WE FURTHER DEMAND THAT IMMEDIATELY THEREAFTER IT SHOULD BE MADE MANDATORY FOR ALL THOSE TAKING NEW ADMISSIONS PERTICULARLY IN PRIVATE COLLEGES. Even if it is made mandatory today, it will be effective after 5 years. DOESN’T INDIAN CITIZENS HAVE RIGHT TO KNOW IF THESE PRIVATE COLLEGE GRADUATES ARE ATLEAST OF FOREIGN COLLEGE GRADUATES STANDARD?
WORLD OVERVIEW IN SUPPORT OF PROPOSED SOLUTION
All the developed countries such as UK, USA, Canada, Austrailia, Newzealand and even the least developed countries like Nepal has uniform licentiate exam.
BENEFIT OF PROPOSED SOLUTION
There will be several benefits to mother india & only losers will be corrupt officials & Pvt. Medical College mafia.
1.There will be no discrimination against anyone as all are subjected to the same test. More & more students will go abroad for economical education thus increasing supply of competent Doctors.
2.Increased supply of quality Doctors will improve the health parameters of ailing mother India.
3. All incompetent doctors, will not be able to get in to the system, thus reducing medical negligence.
4. Only losers will be corrupt officials & private medical mafia making crores by auctioning their seats, & still giving sub standard education.
6.Healthcare will be free of corruption, money power & vested interests, which will reduce the overall cost of healthcare.
7. It will promote competence in Pvt. Medical Colleges as they will have no choice but to improve their standards.
THE PROOF OF VALIDITY OF ABOVE ARGUMENT
The proof of validity of above argument lies in the fact that the only opposition you will face is from corrupt officials, the Pvt. college mafia & the existing students of such colleges. Opposition from existing students of Pvt. colleges can be overcome by not making these rules applicable to existing students.
QUICK TEMPORARY SOLUTION
If all these need legislative changes, in the short run we can atleast reduce the discrimination meted out to Foreign Graduates by not subjecting them to some alien standards which our own Pvt. Colleges graduates do not possess, by SUBJECTING A REPRESENTATIVE SAMPLE OF SUCH PVT COLLEGE GRADUATES TO THIS TEST ON EXPERIMENTAL BASIS TO FIND OUT IF THE STANDARD EXPECTED ARE INDEED THOSE POSSESSED BY PVT. COLLEGE GRADUATES. OPTIONAL INVOLVMENT WILL NOT BE TRULY REPRESENTATIVE SAMPLE AS ONLY MERITORIOUS STUDENTS WILL DARE TO TAKE IT. Since, all these Pvt. college graduates are blanketly stamped competent, they all must easily pass this test. Or, else it will prove that blanket stamping of Pvt. college graduates as competent is indeed money driven & not merit driven & foreign graduates are indeed being subjected to some alien standards, which its own system does not possess.
BENEFIT OF TEMPORARY SOLUTION
This will reduce some discrimination in short run, will increase supply of quality doctors & Govt. will come to know the actual standards of Pvt. College Graduates.
PRECAUTION TO BE TAKEN
To get the real picture, all this exercise should be undertaken by an independent body free from the influence of MCI as this will also expose how these Pvt. Colleges were recognised by MCI.
ALTERNATE TEMPORARY SOLUTION OF RURAL POSTING
Alternatively, THOSE GRADUATES WHO SCORES 40% IN SCREENING TEST MAY BE GIVEN RESTRICTED/ SUPERVISED LICENCE TO PRACTICE IN RURAL AREAS. FOR EACH YEAR OF RURAL SERVICE THEY MAY BE GIVEN 5 BONUS MARKS. WHEN THIS ADD UP TO 50% THEY MAY BE GIVEN FULL LICENCE.
BENEFIT OF ALTERNATE TEMPORARY SOLUTION
Rural population is presently dependent on Quacks. These graduates are well trained in modern medicine. Healthcare of many foreign countries is dependent on so trained doctors only. They are deliberately branded incompetent by MCI for illicit financial gains. However, to alienate fear of MCI, it is proposed to give them restricted/ supervised licence.
Thanking you, Yours sincerely,
(R K Agrawal)
Copy to:
1. Prime Minister of India, sh. Narendra bhai Modi, New Delhi
2. National Board of Examination, New Delhi
3. Medical Council of India, New Delhi