What Would You Do To “Bring Bournvita Quiz Contest” Back?

Posted on April 5, 2011 in Featured, The Opinionated

By Anshul Tewari:

What is the faintest memory that you have of a smart television show, aimed at empowering kids with the power of knowledge? Think! Think hard. I bet the first thing that came to your mind was Derek O’ Brien, in his active posture and inspirational voice, asking smart kids some of the most interesting questions.

With the growth of commercialization in television, the demand is for more and more hot and peppy shows that aim at garnering the maximum TRP, and in the process, degrade the Indian culture (Yes, I am referring to the Bindaas youth channels). Bournvita Quiz Contest (BQC) has been one of the most important and integral part of the lives of many amongst us, the end of which certainly brought end to an era of intellectual television viewership and information dissemination for the youth.

If given a chance, what would you do to Bring BQC Back? This was the question that entered the minds of a few young followers of BQC about 2 months ago, leading to the launch of a campaign that is not just unique, but also one of India’s most prominent social media success stories, “Bring BQC Back“.

Started as a Facebook community page, Bring BQC Back is now a full fledged campaign with the aim of collecting lakhs of followers and push Bournvita to bring BQC back. With a whooping 135,169 fans (at the time of publishing), the Facebook page has now emerged as a quizzing platform and a forum for smart people to engage in Q & A. A look at the Wall of the page will expose you to enriching community generated quizzes. This knowledge hub, run by 7 students brings back the memories that one has of the truly enriching show.

The Bring BQC Back facebook Page's Wall - raging quizzes

Rahul, one of the initiators of the campaign says, “I believe most kids plug into the world of television long before they enter school. But in todays day and age there is clearly a “lack of quality programming” which needs to be immediately addressed. The last of this genre was Bournvita Quiz Contest on mainstream TV, way back in 2006 & since the time this show has gone off air, there hasn’t been any show as successful as BQC to challenge the kids, entertain them & educate them in the process. “

They are targeting everyone who has watched the show, ever, is interested in quizzing and wants BQC back. This group of enthusiastic individuals have managed to get the support of Derek O’ Brien, and are now planning to approach Bournvita.

When asked about the series of thoughts that went through the team’s mind, Rahul said, “When I recall the days, as a kid I used to look forward to every Sunday morning clutching the TV remote, waiting for BQC to start. Bournvita Quiz Contest holds a ‘nostalgia’ for many of us since our childhood as we grew up listening to Ameen Sayani on radio and then watching Derek O’Brien on television. I looked forward to the thrill of challenging my knowledge & my uncommon common sense. It disheartens to see that nothing as exuberant as BQC is present anymore for the viewers. The time when ‘Bournvita Quiz Contest’ was aired, was the time when becoming a celebrity meant representing our school in the quiz contest & coming back as the winner. All these things lack in todays day and age, this was the reason we started with this movement! Should we not pass on the legacy of rich knowledge called BQC to the next generation?”

Very right Rahul. Youth Ki Awaaz extends its support to Bring BQC Back and urges you to be a part of it. To Bring BQC Back just visit http://www.facebook.com/bringbqcback and hit the like button.

Sanika

BQC was one of the best quiz contests on television. No other show could impart general knowledge to young minds in a fun way like this show did. BQC and Derek O’Brien bring back memories. I would love to get it back!

AKSHITA

GK IS REALLY IMPORTANT

Vivek

today we have a bizzare of tv programmes but most of them have negligible value knowledge.Therefore, i ‘m really very keen that display of bournbita quiz is very important as it inspire student to move forward………

1 2