Is The Indian Music(Lyrics) Losing Its Sanctity?

Posted on June 11, 2011 in Media and Culture

By Saloni Mathur:

Few days back, I was sitting in a café in a good mood, humming a son called DK Bose from a movie Delhi Belly, which was at the same time being played on the radio inside the café. Suddenly, my friend interrupted me and asked me not to sing that song. Having asked the reason, my friend informed me that the song has double meaning in it. Being a music lover, I was inspired by this incident to express my views on how the sanctity of music is fading away.

Music in today’s humdrum life soothes man’s nerve. Music is taken to be an arrangement of sounds in a sequence which gives us a sense of comfort and relaxation of mind. Music is so powerful that it can bring life in a dead object. The importance of lyrical segment of any song cannot be ignored. The words of a song add grace to it. It is a medium through which the emotions and feelings of a writer are expressed. Lyrics of any song reflect the thoughtfulness of the lyricist. It speaks out that how dense and intense can be one’s thoughts and feelings. It reflects man’s sensibility and approach towards life.

I can mention a multitude of songs which speak out the heart of a writer. Of course, the musical part of them cannot be ignored. Not universally and generally, such intensity of feelings and density of thoughts can be found in love, friendship, break up, motivational songs. One can easily relate himself and with such songs. Such songs are so engrossing that they can take us away into an entirely another world.

But nowadays, an unconventional genre of songs is coming up. This category contains songs with unusual lyrics which usually have double meaning, for instance, songs like Sutta na mila, DK Bose, Tinku Jiya, remix of Dum maaro Dum, Char baj gaye hai etc. which are generally composed by the youth and for the youth. They are catchy and thus are sung by youth very enjoyably. I found these songs, though different from others, highly insensible. It reflects the thinking process of the youth of today. Using ‘F’ word and singing about sex openly on television shows a way of enjoyment which is seen highly cool and in fashion. What kind of contentment is gained by having double meaning talks? What is so enjoyable except the dance beats? The reason perhaps may be that it acts as an escape from the troubles of life or maybe it comes out of frustration or maybe it’s to gain attention. I am not quite sure because I am unable to find any possible logical explanation.

The creativeness of such compositions cannot be denied but don’t you think it reflects the degrading mindset up of today’s youth. Doesn’t it reflect the mall mindedness of the youth. Now someone can’t even sing them innocently. What we think, how we perceive, what we write and what we talk is determined by our values and the culture we live in.

As my teacher used to say, at a certain age, somewhere between thirties, we look back, analyze and realize the repercussions of our actions. Not now but definitely later we as a youth will realize that such enjoyment and happiness are just momentary. Real enjoyment lies in living life with simple and pure thinking. And as they say, Old is Gold, sooner the time of old classic songs is going to come back where romance, friendship are so beautifully articulated with a grace of soothing music that just cannot be resisted. :)

aroon

I do not imply that I entirely disagree with you on the Indian music industry and its recently adopted paths of ‘creativity’ in lyrics but your reactions seem a little too intense. The youth in India is certainly motivated and inspired to an extent by bollywood music; however to blame only the musicians/lyricists for propagating these deviations from ideal moral behavior/ thought is entirely unjustified. A point in case is the recent openness in scripts of movies, tv commercials, radio ads, billboards signs, etc that we have been gradually exposed to and have sub consciously learnt to accept as a tool of marketing (in spite of the medium/content being controversial) This has not only increased our threshold of tolerance to socially unacceptable language/behavior/images but also made us immune to detecting the constant undercurrent of similar exercises being influenced upon us. The sole reason for a song like DK Bose being the talk of town is its ease of recollection(owing to a catchy background score) and it being considered as a fad. Every song that has impressive and lasting musical impact on the mind stays on for longer than compared to their ‘less explicit’ cousins. This makes songs the object of scrutiny and controversy every time. Having said this, we being an evolutionary society and an upcoming super power in South Asia on the path of evolution, there are bound to be many developments and changes in our perceptions that need to be taken with a pinch of salt. There is nothing overtly immoral about such a display of ‘creativity’ in lyrics/scripts and we should learn to be more tolerant if not adaptive to them. Healthy criticism will work better in such cases rather than stoking the fire and blaming the individuals concerned for cultural discord.

akhil

firstly i dont know how to define music and i guess even you dont…. what you are talking about is what you like… how can you possibly expect everybody to be soulsearching at every moment….

I will take the point that music relaxes you and thats why perhaps we have multitude of genres to do that… we cant stick only to one emotion when we talk about music…..

everything doesnt have to have a meaning for its existense and if it does then i guess we dont hace right aptitude to get it

saloni

Let us respect each other’s opinions. Thanks

anonymus

Bhaag Bhaag DK Bose