MF Hussain Passes Away: Is India Ignoring Its Artists?

Posted on June 9, 2011 in Culture-Vulture, The Opinionated
[aside]He was made a mockery of by the religious groups in India and chose to stay mum and leave his motherland in peace, something he surely regretted. Youth Ki Awaaz pays tribute to this maestro who put Indian art on the global front. We deeply regret the fact that he did not get the support he needed. The level of sensibility and ideas he had were truly worth following. Rest in peace.[/aside]

By Anshul Tewari:

MF Hussain, a veteran artist, an award-winning painter and a global phenomenon passed away this morning in London, due to a heart attack. Hussain was arguably India’s finest artist, known for his enchanting modern art, and also in controversy for painting nude photographs of Hindu goddesses and bharat mata. Last year we reported that MF Hussain had moved out of India and was living in Qatar and London, in a self-exile. Later, he was awarded the citizenship of Qatar and was even working on a few projects for the country. He was popularly known as the Picasso of India (Forbes).

MF Hussain had a fatwa on his name, ordered by some Islamic leaders in India. He was also facing a continued protest by the Vishwa Hindu Parishad for his depiction of the Indian Goddesses.

As (M.F) told to the Editor of The Hindu, N. Ram, he had an approximate of 900 cases in his name in various courts. He was made a mockery of by the religious groups in India and chose to stay mum and leave his motherland in peace, something he surely regretted.

Those who questioned his love for the country, because of the nude paintings he made, should go and have a look at the monuments in Khajuraho. Those monuments, the largest group of Hindu temples in India, show sexual art, practice of tantric sex as well as facts of life.

When he was leaving India, he was in pain. As our Sub Editor, Abhirup Bhunia had written, When the word democracy is flamboyantly uttered by bigheads of democratic states, the biting wit which emerges, bites off the very flesh of the skin called democracy leaving behind very little to chew over. Constitution guarantees, not just provides, the right to freedom of ex-pression to every individual. At the same time, tolerance towards other religions is a part of the Indian constitutional offerings. MF Hussain, perhaps nowadays known more for denouncing Indian citizenship, is a case in point. His was a classic example of artistic freedom being curtailed to zilch.

Continued ignorance by the Indian Government, and the failure of the same to protect his rights led India to lose a celebrated artist, who died in vain, wishing to be in Mumbai in his last few days.

The media is to be equally blamed. We fight for our rights, media plays a role. But what about the artists? With all the news burning about Baba Ramdev, it is clear that the other, probably equally important news is left behind. Had the Indian media supported Hussain when he was leaving the Indian citizenship India would have never lost him.

Youth Ki Awaaz pays tribute to this maestro who put Indian art on the global front. We deeply regret the fact that he did not get the support he needed. The level of sensibility and ideas he had were truly worth following. Rest in peace.

I am forced to remember about the famous and celebrated Shehnai player, Bismillah Khan. Bismillah Khan was perhaps single handedly responsible for making shehnai a famous classical instrument. He lived in a poor condition and could never be served well for his contributions to the Indian tradition.

Do you think that India is ignoring its artists?

vaibhav tiwari

no doubt that India is ignoring its artists but it is more hurting that India is ignoring it artist on grounds of religion….at one point people have freedom of expression and at other point when they express it is termed as offensive…it is hypo critic..

And just think if the world famous M F hussain and Bismillah Khan are ignored by government how can we expect deserved recognition of other good artists who are never in limelight but still they far better then what they get….there are many artist who never get respect and fame which they deserve and only media is responsible for this..
At least artists like hussain saab and bilmillah khan who have made mark at world stage should have be given more importance and respect…
As far as hussain’s case is concerned government of SECULAR INDIA should have interfered and should have taken the case personally because i feel its high time when country and its people should think above than religion in this advanced 21st century, artists like him should not be wasted in the name of religion…