By Misna Sameer:

Social-networking sites have taken the world by a storm leading to nothing less than a revolution. A lot of concerns have been voiced about social networking sites taking over in our lives. However, one major issue that has been overlooked is the changing mind-set of the youth due to the social networking sites.

The adolescence years shape our outlook, our personality and mould us into what we are. So when we grow up in a world where our popularity is directly proportional to the number of “likes” and the “haaawt” comments we get on our photoshop-enhanced profile picture and live with people constantly competing for the coveted title of the king/queen of the virtual world, it is bound to have a profound impact of the psyche of an entire generation. The focus and time we spend on creating our brand on these social networking sites is a standing testimony to the awakening of the narcissist in us.

At any hangout or get-together more time is spent on clicking snaps and updating the virtual world on what’s going on, rather than enjoying the event. The photos are uploaded within an hour, and then begins the flood of “Likes” and comments. The social networking sites and the culture they have created is thus a breeding ground for a vain, self-obsessed younger generation. We forget that we chose the people we want to interact with on these sites. So the validity of the opinions on these sites need to be reconsidered before we get cozy in a shell of false sense of unwanted self-importance, but this is conveniently forgotten by most of us.

On the other hand the time, energy and clicks you spend on getting that perfect picture – all goes away to the drain when your friend’s picture gets more attention. On one hand when vanity is on rise, some tend to lose their self-esteem owing to the lack of online popularity. Since when have we become so petty that our virtual world takes over our real life? Are we that silly to let these things affect us?

Another aspect is the loss of private space. For today’s generation, things that were considered personal a generation before, are all public. Status updates, wall post and tweets yell about every move we make, every step we take and every relation we make or break. We are ourselves violating the sanctity of our personal space in an attempt to keep up with the current fad of publicizing intimate details of our lives for a few minutes of attention among a few hundred people in the virtual world. How healthy a trend is this – is something to ponder over.

This is not a dreary, condescending, ‘wake up call’ by some old fashioned, boring person of the last generation; this is just an account of a teen watching the world around me possessed by the spirit of social networking. This is just my take on the renaissance these sites have brought in the culture and outlook of my generation.

Years later, looking back at our teen years, do we want to remember spending time bothering about an elusive world where we are judged on how we ‘portray’ ourselves to be? Do we want see ourselves as a vain, self-absorbed people fussing about the pettiest of things, totally nonchalant to the bigger and more important issues of the world? Do we want to be uninformed teens, ignorant about the world and doing nothing constructive? I am sure deep inside each one of us would rather see ourselves doing something productive towards our career, the society, and the world for a better tomorrow. The social networking sites and social media has revolutionized the world, bringing us closer than ever before, making life easier than it ever was. We can exploit this and use it for a better life, a better tomorrow. It should be used to connect, stay in touch easily, share views and not waste time on.

There was the Stone Age, the Bronze Age, and the Iron Age- all turning points in the history of human civilization. How should the virtual age etch itself in the history of mankind depends on us- the choice is ours now!

Img: http://www.introvertsencyclopedia.com/archives/53/facebook

Harvey Specter
Posted at 10:45 pm March 12, 2014
Rhythm Sachdeva
Reply
Author

Everything has its pros and cons. Elucidating only the negative side of the story is not fair. So lets talk about the news that we get to read on FB. Increase vocabulary by reading the posts of “Spell Bee” , “Becoming a Shakespeare” and others. Constructive videos we watch. Blogs we read (like yours). Become an immature authors by putting up statuses. Market our products or college events. Save hundreds of rupees on messages per month and stay connected with our loved ones.
Your concerns about being self obsessed and materialistic are true enough but lets not blame today’s generation’s best partner.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 7:12 pm February 16, 2014
shiwani
Reply
Author

yeps..SNS is gud bt be safe..and thanx to dis page for helping me to do my practical better on SNS…

Harvey Specter
Posted at 2:25 pm January 12, 2014
Parvathi Preethan
Reply
Author

Moderation is the key. But sadly youth, especially the adolescents, don’t realize their addiction until it’s too late!

Harvey Specter
Posted at 4:10 pm July 9, 2013
deepika
Reply
Author

great viewwss!! gr8 article!

Harvey Specter
Posted at 6:09 pm March 15, 2013
Rohit sinha
Reply
Author

what an article thnxx!

Harvey Specter
Posted at 7:02 pm December 10, 2012
Nandini Kathuria
Reply
Author

Well, as simple as I could say is that “not all Social Networking sites are bad”. Google+, one of the Social Networking site by google is not that worse. But, whatsoever it is, it effects the youth, specially the teens. The 12-13 year olds are so much engrossed in “twitter” and “facebook” (specially) that they often get depressed and sometimes become destructive. I am a teen,one who has friends having fb accounts and who tweet almost all the time. Some of them are always online on their i phones and apps. I don’t have a fb account nor a twitter one. I have a G+ though as it gives good and motivational ideas towards careers and life. Secondly, I like the info provided as it helped me a lot. And Lastly, u r saying they don’t have a good impact and stuff……but, on my left I can CLEARLY SEE writren:
14- TWEETS!
145- LIKES!
35- SHARES!
and
5- +1s (G+)
wat is this now?

Harvey Specter
Posted at 1:45 pm December 7, 2012
tanu
Reply
Author

totally agree..we all are shallow and self obsessed.its crazy to see a father commentin on his daughters pic saying ‘nice one’ or having a status update wishing your sibling on his/her birthday.its hilarious to see such whimsical behavior.but, banning is no solution. the solution is to use it in moderation and in a mature manner. letting d virtual world invade your real life is wrong!

Harvey Specter
Posted at 10:58 pm November 15, 2012
shreeya
Reply
Author

very impactful….well-written…i’m happy you brought out this issue of how networking sites have impinged on our lives….but i suggest you take the brighter side of the coin a s well..

Harvey Specter
Posted at 5:14 pm October 15, 2012
Gaurav Lath
Reply
Author

amazing essay thanks to who so ever has wriiten this
it has helped me to complete my homework

Harvey Specter
Posted at 8:02 pm September 15, 2012
ritarani
Reply
Author

hmm……… good points and to be considere of!

Harvey Specter
Posted at 3:23 pm September 8, 2012
Abhishek singh
Reply
Author

the only reason u wrote this article to get ATTENTION …and that’s wat all facebook users seek…thats all about it……..

Harvey Specter
Posted at 1:15 am September 5, 2012
ankit
Reply
Author

everything has pros and cons, excess of everything is bad so is the case with fb , i have been using it for 3 years and never done anything constructive on it except remaining in touch with friends, china has banned facebook for its youth to engage in productive aspects and not waste time , desire for self admiration and getting it from others is quite natural , i have often noticed a give n take policy in likes and comments, how stupid u may look or talk u still manage a few likes ,its awful,its virtual n that bubble will blow off one day . so we should work towards real aspects and geting inspiration n admiration from it.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 12:04 am August 30, 2012
Pranjal
Reply
Author

this is very true that today whatever we are doing is just to attract attention and people who are always negative about others and dont ever see the positive aspect of life. Due to this people are happy living in virtual world and they dont see the better aspects of life in reality which has a lot of fun and livelihood. Solutions are very simple, it is to come out of this world and lead a more constructive life instead of wasting it on social networking sites.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 8:50 pm August 29, 2012
Naina
Reply
Author

yup…its very true whatever u had said in this article….so many peoples waste their time on facebook and chatting with someone…so its simply a wastage of time and every person should read this article who waste their alot of time in such things….
So its awesome article…

Harvey Specter
Posted at 12:14 pm August 14, 2012
roz3636
Reply
Author

Harvey Specter
    Posted at 1:04 am September 5, 2012
    ankit
    Reply
    Author

hahhaa oh hahhah

Harvey Specter
Posted at 5:32 pm March 15, 2012
tushar
Reply
Author

i am also not on facebook now but i use to ………
i deleted my account as i think that a lot of Psychological games are played with us in it to give a lot of time to it and there is no productive towards our career .
i think it is simply waste of time and nothing more .

Harvey Specter
Posted at 4:03 pm March 12, 2012
sarath
Reply
Author

ya really its beleivable…………

Harvey Specter
Posted at 11:38 am February 2, 2012
Ajith
Reply
Author

Good article. This is the way our youth communicate with others because these social networking sites are that much popular among youth. thanks for this article man.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 11:50 pm January 31, 2012
Silas Alexander
Reply
Author

wowww!!!! awesome article!!!! thnxx a lot!!!! xD

Harvey Specter
Posted at 1:56 am January 10, 2012
Obbo
Reply
Author

I totally thank you for producing this article.I want to know though how to deal with the issue at hand. You didn’t really mention any solutions to resolve the issues you raised.Doing so would have been a very nice and knowledgeable addition especially to the younger generation.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 12:10 am November 6, 2011
Mabolaya
Reply
Author

Well said… Man needs to read this and perhaps some will open their eyes and appreciate living in the “real world” more than the virtual world.

Unfortunately I am no longer on facebook.. I would have put a “like”

Anyways:me “Likes” the passage