Top 5 Film Making And Television Colleges In India

Tweet
Add an opinion

By Chaitu Nampalli:

If you are looking for a career in Film-making and television then here are the top five colleges in India which offer the best courses in the country.

1. Film and Television Institute of India, Pune:

Among the top five the most preferred is Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune. It was established in 1960 and is currently celebrating its Golden Jubilee year. The ambience of the place is filled with best aspects of film-making. It is considered as a centre for excellence not only in India but also abroad. Its alumni include such luminaries as Naseeruddin Shah, Shabana Azmi, Jaya Bhaduri, Subhash Ghai, Mani Kaul, Shatrughan Sinha, Mithun Chakraborty, Tom Alter, Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Raj Kumar Hirani and Vidhu Vinod Chopra and Oscar winner Resul Pookutty. The campus covers an area of about 30 acres and is planning to add 27 acres of land behind the present building for an international campus.

“We believe in giving students the freedom to interpret and learn things their way. So we don’t follow any textbook rigidly. Apart from some basic principles and theories, everything is fluid,” says Kedarnath Awati, professor of music.

It offers courses in Direction, cinematography, sound recording and sound design, Editing, Acting, Art Direction and Production Design, Animation and computer Graphics and Feature and screenplay writing. Apart from Acting, where it takes 26 students every year, all the other courses take 14 students. Excluding the above courses, it is also introducing new courses in film management, ad films, television journalism and 3D animation, and these courses will have a batch of 30 students, 2/3rd of the students being Indians and the rest foreigners. For admission in the above courses one must need a bachelor degree. For animation and computer graphics course one must clear XII class examination. Physics at the Plus Two level is essential for those seeking to study audiography. To support these courses this institute has outstanding faculty. Students get hands-on knowledge in all aspects of filmmaking and television.

It is equipped with two film studio floors and two television studios and in sound department it is exclusively equipped with Harrison audio mixing console. It has a spacious film and video library with a good collection of films and videos all around the world, and also a computer library has been set up recently.

2. Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute, Kolkata:

Next to FTII is Satyajit Ray Film And Television Institute (SRFTI), Kolkata, established in 1995. It is an autonomous academic institution and is administered by the ministry of information and broadcasting of the Government of India. Similar to FTII, it also offers Post graduate courses but only in four areas, they are Direction in screenplay, audiography, editing and cinematography. There is abundance of opportunities for the students as they are allowed to watch films in the institute. The institute consists of two theatres; one is main theatre and the other is called preview theatre, in addition to this there is also an open air theatre and also 35mm and 16mm screen projection facility. Libraries are brilliantly equipped. Batches are limited to 40 students and SRFTI attracts some foreign students as well. The institute has a canteen and provides hostel facilities.

And if someone wants to try out for Fiction and Non-fiction Movies production and everything related to it then SRFTI is the best option!

3. Whistling Woods International, Mumbai:

On the Top Five list third comes Whistling Woods International, Mumbai, established in the year 2006. It is chaired by the iconic Filmmaker and leader of Mukta Arts Production, the showman Subhash Ghai. The campus is designed with expert guidance of Australian Film, Radio and Television School. It offers a balanced, modern and complete course to the film making industry. It gives unparallel training in different aspects of Filmmaking. The infrastructure is fabulous and is geared with all the latest equipment. You can get every detail of it on their website.

The Whistling woods International Offers full time intensive courses which span over two years. The specializations available are: Acting, Cinematography, Direction, Editing, Business of Film & Television, Sound Recording, Design and Music Production, Animation and Screenwriting. There are Subhash Ghai, Shyam Benegal, Naseeruddin Shah, Hema Malini, Shah Rukh Khan, Karan Johar, A.R. Rahman, Dilip Kumar, Javed Akhtar, Mahesh Bhatt, Om Puri, Ramesh Sippy, Shabana Azmi, Ashutosh Gowariker, Nagesh Kukunoor, Satish Kaushik and many more as the faculty and part of the advisory board. Now, what more can we ask from this institution? The Institute is also helping students from less affluent backgrounds in getting loans and scholarships.

Mind You guys and girls, this is the Institute which is totally equipped with Sony Media Technology! And it is a platform for any of the aspiring candidate from all kinds of backgrounds as they have the chance to make their dream come true. Overall, WWI is modernized, amazingly equipped and it will give hands-on approach to both theoretical and practical aspects of filmmaking and television.

4. Center for Research in Art of Film and Television, Delhi:

The fourth on the list is Center for Research in Art of Film and Television (CRAFT), Delhi which is a non-profit, non-governmental organization registered as a public charitable trust to impart quality education in the field of film, television, and other media arts through short and long-term courses with specialization in various disciplines. It was established in the year 2009.

This one has a low teacher-student ratio, with 10 seats per course, guest faculty from the Mumbai Film Industry, training oriented towards film aesthetics, hands-on experience based on current industry requirement and rigorous training assuring guaranteed top placements. It is offering all the courses that FTII is offering and it also includes News Reading, Creative writing and Radio Jockeying. But the sad thing is that it doesn’t provide any accommodation for the students. Facilities are comparatively poor and faculty, though good, is not as impressive as the other colleges mentioned here. Overall, CRAFT is not so bad when it comes in satisfying students in terms of Teaching.

5. Asian Academy of Film and Television, Noida:

The fifth college is Asian Academy of Film and Television (AAFT), Noida. It has been training students in the art and craft of filmmaking since 1993. The Academy was built as an alternative to formal film schools and since then has established itself as one of the best film institutes in India. It proudly stands as the only film school in this part of the world to be certified by ISO 9001:2000 (International Organization for Standardization).

AAFT is offering four types of courses- 3 months course, one year diploma, two years diploma and 3 years course. These programs are taken into account based on the impact of media present in the day to day life. AAFT offers almost all the courses one wishes of when he/she is thinking of making filmmaking/television as their life’s goal!

All the modern facilities needed for the curriculum are present at AAFT, which includes 6 shooting floors, conference rooms, Rehearsal hall, film club, library, private screening rooms and 16 air conditioned class rooms. The health conscious students can use the gymnasium or they can play games like badminton or volleyball in the ground attached to the hostel. Students living in the hostel often get the opportunity of observing professional filmmaker and television producers at work. Security as well as an attendant have been provided round the clock at the hostel.

The placement of AAFT students is looked after by a special cell for rendering opportunities in the film and television industries, and since its inception the faculty of AAFT has been known for properly guiding and helping the students with their placement in the industry. The students are also given opportunity to work under Mukta Arts Ltd., Venus Ltd., Tips india ltd., Maruti International and also B.A.G Films.

Overall, AAFT is fifth best among the 5 options!!

Hopefully, this review might help most of the people. If you have any questions, please share them in the comments section below and we would be happy to help.

Tweet
Add an opinion
Like us on FB?  

Disclaimer: Youth Ki Awaaz is an independent, non-partisan media platform. The views of our writers don't necessarily represent the views of the platform. If you disagree with anything we publish, please send us an alternative view, or comment and register your disagreement. Know more about how Youth Ki Awaaz works.

Join the conversation

86 comments

1. Neha Gupta

Hello,
    Just like many of the people here, I wish to learn direction. But I cannot afford institutes with higher fee structure. My research says that FTII has seized the admissions this year for the film direction course. Have read about CRAFT in previous threads…but m still confused with MFA and CRAFT. Can somebody please help me. Any suggestions other than these two are also welcomed.

P.S. – Please drop ur email-id if u r an alumni.Would b pleased to have a conversation so as to clear my doubts.

2. dushyant

hi……………i m dushyant me ek poor boy hu to kon sa istitute aachha rhega

3. suriender Dhatwal

yes when somebody said beloew that if you have money go to whisling wood……………………but where the poor people will go who donot have money…pl post more list of institutes where poor students can apply.now we know CRAFT film school is one but that is in Delhi
    what about students who are in North east

4. Ravi Goel

hi guys,yes FTII and SRFTII is the best…………..but among private institute Whistling woods if you have money………if you donot have money then CRAFT film school in Delhi……..rest are all useless

5. sunidhi

hi guys,
    i am delighted to see that CRAFT is considred in this list.I am agrdaute of CRAFT and doing fine in my carrer.working as an editor in madras.If you canonot join FTII you must think of CRAFT.only problem is that they accept 10 students in each batch

6. R. Singh

Want to spread a word of caution for students of film making. Recently got cheated by a place called Institute of Creative Excellence Mumbai, who have offices all over the country to admit students.Only good presentation and tall claims. Not worth a fraction of the huge fees they charge by making false assurances. Very arrogant administration. Make students sign a one sided agreement after receiving all fees in advance without giving them a copy. Facing many legal cases for duping students of huge amounts. Advise all prospective students extreme caution before paying them a penny. Do not get carried away by the false dreams they show.

7. Rony

My name is Rony and I am a student of Mumbai Film Academy. I am proud to say that the Faculty members are highly qualified and experienced in Film Making. I would recommend this to all the aspirants.

8. rhythm92

The colleges listed in this article are really some of the best ones in India. I am a student of film and television from FLAME,Pune and so far I have had a very good learning experience here. The faculty is exceptionally good and most of them have taught courses in Indian as well as international universities. When I was looking for colleges for film and TV in India,I did not want to join the horde and pick one of the mainstream colleges. I like it here, apart from good education,it’s a beautiful campus in the valley.Do take a look at it before applying for courses anywhere else! here’s the link to FLAME’s website: http://www.flame.edu.in/

9. Hi! My name is Hesham and I am an International student learning Film Making & Cinematography at Mumbai Film Academy, I find this film school as one of the Best in India with Hostel Facility. The Staff & Faculty members are very co-operative and provide Hands on Practical training as they have their own Cameras, Lighting Equipment, Recording & Editing Setup. Overall it is a great experience at Mumbai film Academy.As their tagline says…IF YOU HAVE DREAMS…THEY HAVE MEANS.

10. Mumbai Film Academy is rated among the top 3 International Film Schools, I am a Film making student from Mumbai Film Academy and have been trained by the best faculty members of Film & TV Media. I am currently Directing episodes for Crime Patrol on Sony Channel in Mumbai and wish to recommend this school for all aspirants of Film & Television Media.

11. arun dhaiya

Dear Neeti,
    films schools mentioned above are Really top five.I am graduate from CRAFT film school and studied cinematography.today i am working with very good production hose as DOP and getting 30k per month.what i learned in CRAFT film school is coming handy,though i did not go to FTII.
    arun dhaiya

• siri vijji

hi can u please suggest me how is CRAFT film school and studies cinematography.

12. Neeti

Hello!
    This post is almost 3 yrs old!
    Can you please post a newer article on this topic because the status keeps on changing!
    Thank you :)

• roma

how does it matter FTII is staill no-1

13. shashank chauhan

hello sir,
    i compleated my bechlor in last year in fine arts, at msu baroda, m intrested in cinemetography, bt m nt know which one is gud at all sides like fees, education, placement? can u gave me some informection?

• Abs

Hey! Have you looked at FX School?

I have many friends who swear by the quality of the institute and its faculty. They’re all film students and are producing some outstanding work in their projects.

Plus, they have an international partnership with FXPHD for visual effects education!

I’m gonna join them soon… check them out at http://www.fxschool.in

I went for a counselling there and their Foundation level is awesome because you actually get to learn the basic level of not just Filmmaking, but also related subjects like VFX, Animation, Photography, Digital Art, etc. for 3 months before you go deeper into your Film specialisation areas.

Find their facebook page and follow them to keep updated… I think it’s called “filmmaking at FX School” or some such…

I judge an institute by their student work, and their students are producing some awesome stuff!

Good luck!

14. hlo sir i want tobecomea film director but i dont know from where i start and how should and what steps should i take, and in my surrounding there are no one who can guide me compeletly, and my family could not support too much financially..

15. abhishek

my friends laugh.. when i say i wanna be film director..!!! my parents who were there for me as my backbone in each n every stage of my life ..umm i don think they wil support me in this matter..me a film director..!! well born n brought up in village.. my people always wanted me to be a doctor.. fr which even i sacrificed my 130th ranking in architecture ..!!! but now .. i have made my decision.. decision to become a film director..!! so guyz… i need ur suggestions on this… if u consider ”direction” course alone.. which institute you suggest..!?? can anyone say how to get scolarship in Whistling Woods International, Mumbai .. !??? or can nyone say how one can get a scholarship in the above mentioned institutes…!!! please i need ur valuable suggestions… before the time takes me over again …!!!!

16. muhammedsha

Sir,
    I like to know About
    how to apply for Film And Television institute of india,pune
    is this a good institute for Film Editing Course..i like to learn from this institute.what is the course fee.and tell me about Placement cell in this institute.if you could please inform me then it will be very helpful for me….

17. Kshitiz Srivastava

Hello sir,
    . I am joining AAFT for 3year course(Direction)….. How is it ?????

18. Bishal

I have completed my diploma course in Electronics and Communication Engg. However my dream is to become a Video Editor and a Cinematographar. So please tell me what should i do to achieve it and make my carrier as a successful film video editor and cinematographer?
    p.S. I have not Studied Class XII as took admission in diploma directly after my matriculation.

19. ikshu khera

Sir/Ma’am ..
    I have just passed my 12th class(isc) .. now i want to make my career in (acting/editing) ..
    just because i have a keen interest in this kind of field…
    so please guide my about the best schools/university for the same .. thankyou :)

20. FTII is very good film making university. I want to learn this university, What is the syllabus for the written test? what is the course, fees,and tell me about placement cell in this institute. waiting for a fast reply .Thank you

21. solankimadan

what r the requirement for ftii and what r the cutoff for it and how to apply for it and it proceger

22. Lucky

hiii A….ok but how is the facuties of trainning…???????????????…….Is their any placement after trainning…..?????????????

23. Hi I m Mayank ,I want to do diploma in editing and VFX so please tell me the best institute for this .

24. Vikash

Hi I m vikash , I m joining zima for masters in filmmaking ,pls advise me if I should go for it

25. Ramesh kumar

I think ICE is the best in filmamking prog as they have live sets in mumbai .. I have got a very good experience with ice .I was a part of batch 8. I’m working with Balaji as assistant director & gaurav sharma my batch mate is also working Sanjay leela bhansali in Saraswati chandra..as an intern..They have guided visits also in live sets where they are doing rounds of shooting of the serials & movies..

26. Rahul kumar

27. soumava

Hi, I am planning to join ZIMA for the cinematography course. Can you kindly let me know whether is is good or not. AAFT and Craft offers Diploma course of 1 year each. On the other hand, zima does not offer any diploma degree.

also, as XIMA is based in mumbai, will it be helpful to get a job post completion of the course ??

28. I am doing graduation in english..i want to be a director….can someone tell me which clg will be suitable fr me?…and kindly tell me what course/courses i hv to do in order to bcome a film director

29. mohan velu

iam mohanvelu from coimbatore,( tamilnadu),,iam doing my bachelors in visual communication(electronic media) nd hav keen interest in cinematography ……i hav a lot f confusion wether 2 study DFT or 2 try into film industry….if i want 2 study which s d best? ,as iam frm a middleclas family with lot f dreams…i dnt hav any political nd financial background…..2 enter into d industry witout knwing anything….give me a suggestion ….pls..

30. raj

Hey I want to join the best school for cinematography, can anybody give me their expiriences and which school would be ideal to join.

• maesh.

join CRAFT film school.it has the best teacher in cinematography.suresh.a.graduate from FTII IN 1984,having field experince of 20 years and 8 years of teaching exp.

31. gopal

Sir,
    I like to know About
    Institute Of Creative Excellence(ICE)…Mumbai..
    is this a good institute for Film direction Course..i like to learn from this institute.what is the course fee.and tell me about Placement cell in this institute.if you could please inform me then it will be very helpful for me….

32. Garanpal Neota2012

when i read the below comments by some students on CRAFT.i feel like re-responsible  this story which i did 5 years ago in yahoo questions answers session.It looks like some useless students are joing CRAFT film school and trying to damage the reputation of it

I thought of sharing my small story with you.i came from small town Dehradoon ,where I grew watching bolloywood films. I also wanted to study direction but got rejected two times from FTII interview . Then someone wisely advice” that film school is just begin to gain confidence that you can Make film. One has to prove oneself in the industry. “Not knowing what to do decides to find some private film school and almost visited 30-40 odd film schools (so called) based in delhi.Either they were mass communications or some media management when ever I met the admission counselor ,I always get this feeling that I will not be able to develop the “ sense of proper understanding for cinema”. I somehow came to know about this institute Located in Rohini called CRAFT(www.log2craft.org) which sounded like mathematics School from their website name but later it was more creative way to spell their Acronym!The moment you enter in this place while climbing the 3rd floor,you get the appropriate feel of cinema and I realize that they are right guys if one can get in here. I was interviewed and chances were that I will not be selected but somehow the interview board felt I am desperate and definitely wants the admission.Luckily I was 2nd in waiting and two people in the waiting list dropped for some health reason or something. Today I am so confident after our one year of study where we got to see best of international cinema which widened our horizon. At the moment I am working on this international project from Italy, docudrama about Monuments of India as an AD a contact I got through their International network of its director, naresh Sharma, who always say “If you are worth all my links are yours, so just study hard and Develop the cinematic magnet within you”

gaganpal neota.direction pass-out CRAFT.2007 BATCH

33. Rohan 667855

i really like the above selection of yours

34. Saur_stranger

I would like to disagree on your comment for CRAFT. I have personal experience with craft as a student and it does not deserve to be in the above mentioned list. First of all the institue is first-floor based business. It does not provide the students ambience. The theory of 10 students per batch is wrong; when i studied, there were as many as 18 to 20 students out of which 3-4 separated themselves in early days. There teaching method is too of not high quality and i was not satisfied with it. I had to leave the course midway. I must say that they have a very UNIQUE STYLE OF IMPARTING TEAHCHING. They would introduce the new relevant words to you and ask to get detail of it from GOOGLE,,,WOW IMPRESSING!!!! I am not being skeptical regarding CRAFT but the aspirants please make a thorough research before you join in…good luck

35. niharika

HEY,THANKS FOR ENLIGHTENING US….IF THE CONDITIONS ARE SO PATHETIC, I WON’T CONSIDER THAT COLLEGE IN ANY CASE.THANKS A LOT!!

36. sureshkumar07

“GESTO Culinary & Hospitality
    Academy” is a renowned network of Educational Institutions dedicated to provide
    highest level of Culinary and Hospitality Skills Development Training through
    Top Class Programs. GESTO is a hospitality training Initiative of
    Emerge Learning Services Limited, India which is one of the fastest growing
    Skill Development Institutions in India to know about Hospitality Institutes
    visit http://www.gestoacademy.com Its very Useful for your Feature

37. SS.RAMU

iam intresting direction cource 6monts fee how much

38. Subham

hey..plz..rply..waiting for ur rply..And sugestion.

39. Subham

Im in class 10..i want to study film direction or cinematography..after completing my class 12….which would the best to join WWI or the FTTI…im planning now onwards so that i dont chosse a bad institute in hurry..i hv a lot of time to thik….plz give the advice of joining which one the best….waiting for ur rply..rply fast..plzz

40. Kritika

I’m going to apply in Roshan Taneja’s school of acting.. Can some one tell me how is it? Is it really worth joining there?

41. surendra pathak

i want to about the admission in film direction and writing and what is the procedure if i apply that.
    i m waiting your reply

42. prem sagar verma

sir, please suggest me which is better either zima,(mumbai) or digital acadmy,(mumbai) for film making course and which one gives a better placement.
    Thanks……

43. prem sagar verma

sir, I want to do the course of film making from digital acadmy mumbai.So, please suggest me is it the right place for doing the course or I will have to choose the another one. please suggest me soon.
    Thanks……..

44. pawan

sir main craft me acting ka corse karna chata hu plz help me ye koi farji to nahi

45. vikash singh

46. gatti aditya

watz the eliggibility to do direction course in film telivision&institute of india…me waiting for your reply

47. amit pushp

which is the best institute of film making
    1-ftii
    2-aaft
    3-zima
    4-ice
    give me answer plz
    and i living in gwalior mp

48. gaurav sharma

i want to take information that one course. sir please send me on this id

49. rohan agrawal

is there a guarantee that all students of these colleges will have a part in films?

50. milan kochar

who is best institute for film direction beetween AAFT,noida and CRAFT,delhi.plz give me fast reply

51. gaurav sharma

i want learn film directory

52. Rahul bhardwaj

53. srirup sett

sir i want to know within craft Delhi and Noida Asian film academy which is better? though i know craft’s course fees is not expensive but it will help me to find a job?

54. kishor kumar thakur

Sir i want to know what is fee structure of ftii pune in 3 months and 1 years

55. akhira

I am from Craft. Craft is a better institute i have ever seen in india with a low cost and with very experienced faculty from bollywood…defenetly everybody will like it…..

56. A

DO NOT JOIN Institute of Creative Excelance in Mumbai..
    The management is ver bad.
    They are only after the money and nothing else..
    They will keep calling you until you pay the money and thats it..
    After that they dont care about you at all..
    They say, if you have any problem with the course come talk to us…but they never help you..
    TRUST ME there are other better places to study about film and acting!
    ICE is not good!

• RD

Hi, thanks for this review. I was thinking of joining ICE. but based your feedback/review, it appears that they are no good/genuine. Thanks again

• Ramesh kumar

I beg to differ as I’m working with Balaji as an assistant director after doing the prog & as an institute I think AAFT is much moremoney minded as they charge you Rs.3600/- initialy before go for a selection process.

• Lucky

Hiii A….According to you I.C.E is not good…but how…????????????????

57. Varun Batra

Dear sir/mam
    If i have to make a choice between CRAFT and AAFT , which one is good as Craft faculty and infrastructure is not of a standard level.
    For Mumbai , Is there any other institute apart from Whistling Woods which provides valuable teachings.What about Zee Institute of Media Arts? Is it good?

Awaiting for your reply.Hope to get substantial reply from you.
    Thanks

58. kaushik saikia

Respected, sir. i want to be a directer like james kemorun. so plz tell me which institute is best for me. course fees, placemant, i m contact to whislewood international, there course fees is to high. film direction fee within 2year diploma is 16 lakh 45 thousand. so, i m requesting you to suggest me, what is best for me

59. akshay vasishtha

i have completed my xii and i am looking for some real good courses in film institutes

• YouthKiAwaaz

We hope this list helped you, Akshay :)

60. Dron Guha

Sir,
    I like to know About

• rahulsharma

i would say,ICE is not a better choice the fees is all around 3
      lakhs,they keep calling u for money,they dont provide good placements
      too,students are rarely placed from there,even they have their own
      production house…

61. sayan chowdhury

how to apply for Film And Television institute of india,pune?and what is the syllabus for the written test?waiting for a fast reply.thank you

Type to Search

See all results