Are Social Networks Making Us Unsocial?

Posted on July 21, 2011 in All Things Social

By Ankur Garg:

Whom should we call a friend? Is he someone who likes our posts, comments on them? Someone who tags you in photos and videos? With social networking spreading across the world, new sites being developed with new features, with video calls and live chatting into picture, it seems like our whole world is just one click away. Though billions of users have registered for these sites, but are people becoming social?

Today, we see that people have lots of friends with friend lists consisting over hundreds of friends. But, are they really our friends? More than 50% percent of ‘friends’ on our list are those people whom we have never even chatted with, a few percent also comprise of those whom we have never even seen! According to the dictionary, a friend is someone who is attached to the other living being by feelings of affection or personal regard. Even our pet is our friend though it’s not present in our friend list. I agree that these sites help us to be in touch with our close ones but people have nowadays forgotten this and they think that ‘this’ is their home.

People these days find it easier to chat rather than talk to a person. Often, I hear complaints from my parents, my sister that I am not giving them enough time. Almost all the time, I am just sitting on Facebook or GoogleTalk, even though no one is there to chat with. All the time, I keep waiting for people but I never realise that there are people who are waiting for me outside this social network world. Maybe, I have even lost a few good friends in order to make few new friends. May be, this social networking has actually made me unsocial.

YouthKiAwaaz.com is an award-winning and India's largest online platform for young people to express themselves on issues of critical importance. This article has been written by a Youth Ki Awaaz Journalist. You can submit an article too. Click here to write for Youth Ki Awaaz - share your opinions and get heard.

Ankur Garg

Yes, ‘unsocial’ is a state of mind but what has led to this state of mind? The answer is simple enough I guess.

Shravya

This article does give a food for thought.. But come to think of it.. I have actually found a lot of my friends with whom I had lost touch from ages..Well the choice is always yours, dont you think? whom you want to add as your friend is always upto you..But I agree with you when you say that people find it easier to chat than to directly talk to each other

• Nothing Can Distract You When You Know What You Want
  • Joseph

Excessive use of facebook may induce schizophrenia. Facebook is just a creation of most people fantasies it makes you confused. You would find it difficult to differentiate between the real world and the virtual world and thus end up being mad sometimes in a mild manner. So I think he has a point

Ankur Garg

To sum up, I’ll say everything has pros and cons. As Shivani mentioned, we are accountable for our actions. But, on social media, your actions are judged by everyone in your circle. This has led to a kind of superficial behavior among people.
      I agree to the points that it has helped us in connecting with long lost friends, and meeting with people having similar interests. It has helped us in staying connected with the world – we get the latest news within seconds. But, this has also made spreading rumours fairly easy.
      Lastly, it has become a popularity game, where people are more concerned about their image is online rather than offline which as Joseph mentioned has the potential to induce a mild version of Schizophrenia.

P.S: I haven’t been active on Facebook for the last one month, and it has given me that extra time which I always wanted to pursue the things I liked. :)

1 2