Agrasen Ki Baoli: The Unheard, Unseen Beauty #PhotoNama

Posted on August 26, 2011 in PhotoNama

Nestled amongst high-rise modern buildings this 14th century monument is unheard and unseen by most living and have-been —living-in-delhi-since-i-can-remembers – Agrasen Ki Baoli. The step well is made up of 104 steps and has a series of chambers, passage-ways and little cordoned window-like structures.

As one begins stepping down into the step —well, it gets cooler and darker. Climbing down these stairs at night is a very scary experience and not in the least recommended for the ones easily scared. One can hear the pigeons during the day and the whoosh of the wind at night in this baoli. Once midway the stairs, if you look up, you’ll see a three-sided rectangular piece of the sky where birds seem to be flying in a dream-like state.

This historical step-well, deemed as protected by the Archeological Survey of India (ASI) under the Ancient Monuments and Archeological Sites and Remains Act of 1958 lies unvisited and ignored. Located on Hailey Road near Jantar Mantar, it is a 10minutes walk from the N-block of Connaught place. Entry is free and it is open from 9am to 5pm for visitors.

These photographs by Anish Nair tell us the story of the Baoli.

manoj kumar

nice place………………………………………………………..