Blue Ribbon’s Social Leaders Program: Applications Open

Posted on August 13, 2011 in Events, Volunteerism

We live in a city faced with lots of challenges. Did you know Mumbai is the world’s 5th worst place to work. We have potholes, corruption, pollution, traffic jams, political violence, poor sanitation and inadequate civic services all at the same time.

Why then we, as youth don’t do anything beyond clicking FB ‘like’s or volunteering a few hours?

We think there are 3 reasons:

1. Its too time consuming – we have other things to worry about – studies and our career

2. Its not fun – atleast not as much fun as catching a movie and hanging out with cool people

3. Its too huge a task, and problems are quite un-solvable. System hi kharaab hai

We started with this question: How do we make social work connected to careers, make it fun and make it impactful. We put together knowledge from industry experts, social entrepreneurs, NGOs and youngsters like you. And here is our answer – The Social Leaders Program (SLP).

SLP is a 3 month program which pushes you to take on a leadership role in your immediate context. You are exposed to leadership education and mentored to take on one social problem impacting you.

BUT “1. Its too time consuming – we have other things to worry about – studies and our career”

In the process of SLP, you build in depth knowledge about yourself and your leadership style. The leadership education and project itself equips you with useful skills (and something to speak about in your interviews!). You have a certification in the end – so what you do directly impacts your career.

BUT “2. Its not fun – atleast not as much fun as catching a movie and hanging out with cool people”

Then, you build amazing networks with peers, corporates and the government. You meet inspiring people and experience the conviction and power that drives them. Instead of on-screen heroes, you meet real heroes. You make new friends and hang out with people who are self driven and making a difference.

BUT “3. Its too huge a task, and problems are quite un-solvable. System hi kharaab hai”

Using systemic problem solving, you break the issue down into one that can be solved. This small step is a blue print for larger changes. And your project is your personal manifesto – its your personal challenge to ‘make it happen’. A genuine committed effort will not only contribute to social change, but also help you actualize the potential you hold.

With corrupt leadership and a city that’s breaking down, its a great time to do the SLP – there is just so much to do! And more importantly, its something you need to do.

The application cycle for SLP is now open – you can apply for it on www.brmworld.org/slp. Mail them for more queries on [email protected]. Or, call them over to your college or company and give them an opportunity to share this initiative in greater detail.

Blue Ribbon Movement – is a youth organization working on building and nurturing leaders in South Asia. Visit them to know more.

DISCLOSURE: Blue Ribbon Movement is a partner organization of Youth Ki Awaaz.