Dr. Vinod Bhakuni: Nation Loses A Great Scientist

Posted on August 8, 2011 in Specials

By Ranjeet Kumar:

Dr.Vinod Bhakuni a scientist of International repute working as a senior scientist in Central Drug Research Institute passed away at the age of 49 on Friday afternoon on the 15th July 2011 due to heart attack. He was heading the division of Molecular and Structural Biology. Reports say that he had some heart problem and was admitted to SGPGI Lucknow where he underwent treatment and when he was about to be released – this unfortunate event occurred. He was a young dynamic and focused scientist who hailed from a small town in pittoragarh Uttaranchal and carved out a niche for himself. Member of all major scientific societies and academies, he won the prestigious Shanti Swaroop Bhatnagar award for his seminal contribution in the field of biological sciences.

In his short career, he has produced more than 50 quality research papers, reviewed international journals, and has several patents in his name.

His contribution in understanding protein structure function stability and folding and there use as a potential drug targets has been praised throughout the globe.

In his short career, he has produced more than twenty doctoral students who are serving across the globe in various capacities. He was an excellent human being with mighty heart and perpetual smile on his face apart from being an excellent scientist. The nation has lost a great human being and scientist in the climax of his career which cannot be compensated by any means. He is survived by his wife and two young children Abhiuday and Harshita. We pray to the almighty to give courage and strength to the family and fraternity to face the loss. I express my deepest condolences to the family and my sincere prayer to almighty may his soul rest in peace. I personally had an opportunity to be one of his students who guided me in my formative career as a researcher nation looses a scientist but I lost a friend, philosopher and a mentor who has helped not only in professional but in shaping what I am now. He was truly a youth icon.

anser azim

We worked together for our thesis for six years and Vinod was always a great friend and more importantly a great human being. His humors and laughters still resonate my ears and its hard to believe that he is no more with us. I hope he rests in peace and may the Almighty give comfort to his grieving family…..

neelam bhakuni

Dear Ranjeet, You have done a great job!.We have lost a vivacious and generous personality that is rarely found in great scientists.His students’ success will be a true tribute to him.