India”s Less Known Writers Among The Well Known

Posted on August 14, 2011

By Rini Sharma:

India is a country where you will find everything in an array, ranging from culture, language, religion, people, cuisine, and also the literary people. From time to time many notable and certainly less notable writers have been contributing their bit to the Indian literature and have indeed made a mark in the history, geography and the science of the writing world.

Here is the list of some well known writers of India:

Khushwant Singh: He was born in the year 1915 in Hadali and is one of the best known Indian novelists. Famously known for his humour and abiding love for poetry, this novelist has contributed in various fields. Starting with working as a journalist with AIR in 1951, he moved on to work as an editor for Yojana, Illustrated Weekly of India and Hindustan Times. His work ‘With Malice towards One and All’ is still carried by Hindustan Times in its Saturday’s edition and is liked by one and all. A winner of Padma Bhushan in 1974, Honest Man of the year award by Sulabh International in 2000, Padma Vibhaushan and also the Sahitya Akademi fellowship award in 2010, this novelist has written many known great novels, some of which are- Delhi, Train to Pakistan, A History of Sikhs, We Indians and his latest, The Sunset Club in 2010. Apart from novels, he writes short stories for children as well, one of which is the most famous, The Portrait of a Lady.

R.K. Narayan: A person who brought alive the district of Malgudi through his stories. His writings were based on the life of common India and ordinary people which made it easier for the readers to relate themselves to the stories. The beauty of his work lies in the simplicity and humour he is famous for. His books are widely read and published in and outside India. In all, he wrote 29 novels based on Malgudi. He won many laurels too, for his work. His novel The Guide (1958) won the National Prize of the Indian Literary Academy. His other novels include Swami and friends, The Man Eater of Malgudi, Waiting for the Mahatma, and The Vendor of Sweets. Short stories have been a part of Narayan’s work too. He also won the A.C. Benson Medal in 1980 by the Royal Society of Literature.

Ruskin Bond: Not a relative of James Bond, this novelist was born in Kasauli and now resides in the valleys of Mussorie. His writings are based upon the nature. He captures the serene beauty of the Himalayas and manifests a deep love for nature and people in his works. His first novel ‘Room on the Roof’ came when he was just 17 years old. Bond has written many novels with time, some of which have been adapted by the directors in Bollywood. His novel, A Flight of the Pigeon which is about an episode of the Indian Rebellion in 1857 was presented in the form of the movie Junoon in 1978. Bollywood’s ‘7 Khoon Maaf’ is a based on Bond’s novel ‘Susanna’s seven Husbands’. He worked in the movie as well. In short, he has contributed to the Indian Cinema too. He is an icon among the Indian writers and novelists. He has a great love for children which can be seen in the pile of short stories he has written for them. He has won Padma Shri in 1999 and also the Sahitye Akademi Award for his ‘Our trees still grows in Dehra’.

Now not so famous writers of India:

Githa Hariharan: A not-so-known face in the era of the Indian literature, Githa Hariharan, was born in Coimbatore in 1954. She has contributed a lot to the Indian prose with her writing skills. Her novel, ‘Thousand faces of Night’ won the Commonwealth Writers’ prize in 1993. Her notable works include The Ghost of Vasu Master (1994), When Dreams Travel (1999), On Times of Siege (2003) and Fugitive Histories (2009). She has also written many short stories for children as well, one of which is The Winning Team (2004).

Shashi Deshpande: She was born in Karnataka in 1938 and is famous for taking up the serious issues most of the time. She has contributed some of the great novels on Indian women in past years. Her novels mostly depict women as the protagonists. She has also won awards in appreciation to her work. Her famous novels are, The Dark Holds no Terror (1980), If I Die Today (1982), Come up and Be Dead (1983), A matter of Time, The Binding Vine, In the Country of Deceits, Small Remedies and Moving On. Her renowned novel, ‘That Long Silence (1990)’ won the Sahitye Akademi Award and the Nanjangud Thirumalamba Award too. In this she revealed the intriguing picture of a middle class educated woman in India which received huge praise and appreciation. She was also honoured with the Padma Shri in the year 2009.

Still there are many Indian writers who have written some exceptional novels but do not fall under the popular faces among the writers worldwide. In short, India holds a range of talented writers who still needs to be recognized for their contribution to the great Indian Literature.