The Menace of Corruption – Affecting Rural India

Posted on August 18, 2011 in Society

By Aditya Sarda:

Human beings have a strange talent for adaptation. However hard the situation may be, after an initial phase of resistance and heroic attempts to maintain the status quo, they finally not only come to terms with it but also learn to live and thrive in it.

Our country is grappling with a number of problems- illiteracy, poverty, population and the list goes on and on. But the biggest of all these problems is that one to which people have closed their eyes and accepted it as a part of the system. By this definition, today corruption is the biggest monster in front of us.

Today people have grown so accustomed to it that they include bribes in their budget planning. They have no respect for laws and authority. They don’t fear punishment and penalty as they know that they can save their back by paying a paltry amount to some petty officer. Everything is on sale. You just have to pay the right amount to the right person.

When we ourselves are neck deep in corruption then why do we cry foul when some politician is caught? Isn’t this hypocrisy?

Last week I got an opportunity to visit Moradabad district in Uttar Pradesh to do a survey among the farmers of the region. Now everyone knows that India is a poor country with 37.2% of its population living below poverty line. But UP and Bihar are the crowns jewels of the goddess of poverty. For a person who has spent the major part of his humble life in metros, this experience came as a kick in the face. The first sight of the city convinced me that the rest of the week would not bring any nice experience either. And since my task was to visit villages and meet farmers, I mentally prepared myself to walk on broken roads, perform high jumps (or long jumps, depending on the situation) across overflowing drains and smell buffalo dung for coming days.

India being an agrarian society has a special regard for farmers and therefore all the governments offer various special schemes for them (more for the votes than for any social good). Every year, governments spend billions of rupees on these schemes and show off its farmer-friendly policies. But when you visit a village what comes as a real shocker is the rampant corruption.

All the Government offered schemes and benefits for the farmers are routed through a series of village and block officials- Sarpanch, Gram Pradhan, Block Divisional Officer, Secretary and many more. These people have the divine power to decide the beneficiaries and they know how to make the full use of their powers. In every sphere, the favorites are favored and the needy are ignored. Millions and billions spent by Government are siphoned off, everyone takes their share and the scheme is declared a ‘big success’.

The result of all this sham is that most of the famers in the villages are still living under the pre-independence circumstances. For them nothing has changed. Electricity poles have been erected but they get to see action only for a few hours in a day and that too at abysmally low voltage. Good schools and health care are still far-fetched dreams. Agriculture is still dependent on the vagaries of nature and mercy of money sharks.

It was a very humbling experience. When we urbanites complain about our lives and curse administration for cutting power for 2 hours, we do not realize that this much is what the people living in villages all get. These are the people who work the hardest in the entire country to feed you and me and still face difficulties in feeding their own families.

All the governments have failed in emancipating rural India. And these villagers, disgruntled, when head to the cities in the hope of getting a decent life, people like the Thackereys make their lives hell there.

More than 60 years after independence, when we celebrate and cherish our freedom everyday, savor new opportunities and relish the best of the physical comforts, just think once about those struggling people. For what fault of theirs have they been left out and ignored in the process of national development? How and when did India, the nation of villages, turned its back towards more than 65% of its population?

It’s time that we realize that the development of India is not possible as long as all, and I mean all, people do not enjoy the same benefits.

Img

YouthKiAwaaz.com is an award-winning and India's largest online platform for young people to express themselves on issues of critical importance. This article has been written by a Youth Ki Awaaz Journalist. You can submit an article too. Click here to write for Youth Ki Awaaz - share your opinions and get heard.

ani

i am from chhattisgarh and my father is a civil engineer in WRDO(water resource dev. org.) . he usually works in govt. sponsered projects and schemes such as NREGA……what i have personally seen is that these projects are being carried out very nicely compared to what they have been in the past..a part of the allocated fund may be misappropriated but a majorty reaches to the beneficiary…

moreever i strongly believe it is the high time that poors start believing that they have to start taking the baby-steps if they want to frustate poverty and not totally depend on such govt. schemes….they need to understand that its not their birth-right and they have no right of nitpicking on such issues…they need to be self-sustained and confident…..they need to understand that education is the best investment howsoever high the prices of gold may have been rising…
with educated people around corruption would also trail behind……

Siddhartha

Most of the communities in the entire Indian sub-continent(such as Bengali) succumbed in ‘Culture of Poverty'(Oscar Lewis), irrespective of class or economic strata, lives in pavement or apartment. Nobody is genuinely regret ed or ashamed of the deep-rooted corruption, decaying general quality of life, worst Politico-administrative system, weak mother language, continuous consumption of common social space (mental as well as physical, both). We are becoming fathers & mothers only by self-procreation, mindlessly & blindfold(supported by some lame excuses). Simply depriving their(the children) fundamental rights of a decent, caring society, fearless & dignified living. Do not ever look for any other positive alternative behaviour(values) to perform human way of parenthood, i.e. deliberately co-parenting children those are born out of ignorance, extreme poverty. It seems that all of us are being driven only by the very animal instinct. If the Bengali people ever be able to bring that genuine freedom (from vicious cycle of ‘poverty’) in their own life/attitude, involve themselves in ‘Production of (social) Space’ (Henri Lefebvre), initiate a movement by heart, an intense attachment with the society at large is very much required – one different pathway has to create, decent & rich Politics will definitely come up. – Siddhartha Bandyopadhyay, 16/4, Girish Banerjee Lane, Howrah-711101.