Northeast India: Magnificent Face Of The Nation #PhotoNama

Posted on September 10, 2011 in PhotoNama

By Tarun Vaish:

This summer break, I happened to go on a trip to the North-Eastern states of the country. You must have seen pictures and must have heard about the place’s beauty. But let me tell you, you’ll only realize how beautiful it is when you visit it. One thing which I kept thinking was that, the government is advertising places like Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Kerala, etc. for tourism quite a lot. But do we see television advertisements of any of those Seven Sister States? The answer is no. Probably the reason is the Gorkhaland uprising, insurgency issues and the extreme poverty. Believe me, I happened to be at a lot of places where the very first sight would make you feel ‘how poor the people are here’. Specially in Cherrapunjee, the situation was pathetic. Here are a few pictures I took during my visit.

A dog sits outside the Buddhist monastery in Naharkatiya

The beautiful Elephant Falls in Shillong

The Magnificent Gangtok
Naharkatiya is a town and a town area committee in Dibrugarh district in the Indian state of Assam.

Sand footsteps at Naharkatiya
The science center in Kalimpong
The famous seven sisters fall in Cherrapunjee
The Tsongo Lake in Gangtok

All photos are copyright of Tarun Vaish/Youth Ki Awaaz. Do not copy.

Tarun Vaish

Thank you so much! :)
This is so encouraging!