Snapdeal.com Nagar, The Inspirational Kunal Bahl Story

Posted on October 6, 2011 in Volunteerism

By Kartikaye Gilra:

A privilege last earned by Jamshetji Nusserwanji Tata (Tatanagar), and Gujarmal Modi (Modinagar) has been extended to snapdeal.com. A distant village in Uttar Pradesh is now known by the name of “Snapdeal.com Nagar” earlier known as Shiv Nagar. The tiny town had good reason to, because SnapDeal, India’s version of Groupon, provided it with fresh water.

Snapdeal’s founder Kunal Bahl wanted to do something with his company’s growing profit. The 28 year old CEO found the opportunity in water. He found this for a fact that a mere $5000 would install 15 hand pumps that would relieve the villagers from walking nearly 2 miles just to get clean water. The villagers were grateful for the generosity shown by the company and decided to rename the village.

Kunal Bahl hints at more such philanthropy in the works by his New Delhi business. When he was being asked whether this is a publicity gimmick following was his reply: “All we can say is that time will show our commitment to this project and even the things we do in the future. You need not be a multibillionaire company to make a change in society around you. This project was not about the power of money but the intent and efforts which our team took to give this dream alive. Even if one small company takes inspiration from this, we will feel our efforts have borne fruit.”

Previously, Kunal co-founded a detergent company in the US while at college which now sells products in 3000 stores in the US. He has also worked at companies such as Deloitte Consulting and Microsoft in the US. Kunal is an engineer from the University of Pennsylvania and holds a business degree from The Wharton School. The company was started with a seed capital of 40 lakhs. Following is what the founder had to say: “While I was studying and working in the US between 2002 and 2006, I realized that the retail landscape in India had changed. Buyers were becoming more sophisticated and small retailers had turned professional. So, while consumers still liked a good bargain, they weren’t interested in petty haggling. It struck me that starting a business that provided discount coupons would succeed in India and so I returned to Delhi in November 2007.”

The company is source of motivation for a lot of youth in this country as it gives them a hope to make it big and do something for the society which lot of us wishes to do but lack the means to. It instills a faith that numerous opportunities exist in the world and everybody can DREAM!

pallavi

Philanthropy comes from heart. If one really want to give back to society then should take an inspiration from Mr.BAHAL who has done a commendable job.
Kudos to your noble job.

ankit

The section of the people of India that has access to Internet sure is inundated with pop-ups and advertorial postings that speak of 90% discounts on various wares. Even with major companies fishing for, and serving in a yummy Sushi, irresistible deals to the denizens of more than 250 major and minor cities across India, the daily deals scenario is still just warming up. Are a rage among the elite sections of the Indian society who have broadband connection and a note-worthy dispensable income. Even with the revolutions in the corporate world, and the steadily increasing section of employees with considerable dispensable incomes, daily deals websites in India have not yet the reach they require to be the rage their peers do in the western hemisphere like . This is because Indians are sticklers of tradition, and virtual shopping is anything but traditional. Though the nation does crave hefty discounts, a possible reason of their unpopularity may be the fact that most of these deals come with expiry dates – they run for 24 to 36 hours only. This translates to shuffling your schedule to avail yourself of an economic meal, instead of being the master of your time and deciding what to do when. Besides, the reach of such websites is not impressive in the least, limited by the reach of technology in the country. 5% of the Indian population has access to computers, and about 3% enjoy the luxury of broadband. This means that a percentile of people much lower than 3 is actually consuming the deals offered by these online portals. This statistic can be improved by exploiting the various online and offline media of advertising available, but gigantic leaps of development can’t be expected unless technological leaps are made, and technology is made accessible to a wider range of people. India is not without its cyber space companies that stand as the nation’s response to American bigwigs. wish2buy.com is aspiring to become India’s biggest daily deals websites with a grip so tight on the country that market observers predict that Groupon’s venture into the Indian market will be rendered difficult because of the stiff competition being offered by SnapDeal, dealsandyou ,wish2buy.com. A number of foreign companies are working in collaboration with local companies to exploit what appears to be a highly successful line of trade, though still in its infantile stage. Swept with the current, a number of entrepreneurs had launched their own sites that offer deals every day, and those who were unable to stand up against the heavy competition either shut shop or coalesced into bigger companies that could. Foreign giants in the sector are buying, in part or whole, local websites on the field to venture into the Indian market. Regardless of whether or not the industry is developing at a phenomenal pace in India, fact remains that an astounding number of entrepreneurs are foraying into the field to test their luck and work. This sector has a lot of growing up to do, but the adolescent seems to be quite productive too.

jeevan rama

I just came across MyDeals247.com – it is really different way to purchase online..