Growing Traffic Menace In Bangalore

Posted on October 29, 2011 in Society

By Arshia Chatterjee:

Bangalore happens to be one of the more developed cities of India, it has its fair share of greenery, and everyone who has been in Bangalore claims that it has a lively and upbeat aura about it. But visitors and citizens of Bangalore all have the same complaint about the city — the traffic problems. There are very few cities that do not face this problem, but in Bangalore it takes a completely new level. There is not a single person who has been to Bangalore and has not been faced the frustrating and exasperating roads and the traffic in Bangalore. The traffic jams and problems here have increased by about five times since the time I started living in this city six years ago, and it looks like they simply keep getting worse.

According to statistics, the number of vehicles used in Bangalore have multiplied by twenty times in the past seven years, and there is about one policeman or woman to every two thousand people. This poor regulation of the streets makes it extremely difficult to get around in Bangalore. As soon as you ask someone from Bangalore about any problems they face in the city, the prompt reply is “the traffic and the roads”. One of my friends complained about how he was stuck on MG Road for an hour on the way to an event, and another one of my friends has to travel two and a half hours every day to just get to school.

There are several ways the government can attempt to solve these problems and make travelling within Bangalore easier for the public. In some countries, the government gives out special rewards for not using your car except on the weekends. A more viable method would be to use legislation — the government could set limits on the age of the vehicle used, and a pollution permit. Carpooling or using the school bus is also effective for children going to school. Bangalore can also adopt a stricter system for penalising those who do not obey traffic rules, and in the long run it can also implement a more rigid system of issuing driving permits to people.

Rahul Sinha

Time has come when Bangalore start using the services of IT to improve its traffic condition. Systems like GPS enabled public bus system, electronic road pricing etc. be adapted which are efficient and economic considering the present problem galore.

Beulah

My brother recommended I may like this web site.

He used to be totally right. This publish truly made my
day. You can not imagine just how so much time I had spent for this information!
Thanks!