But Why This Kolaveri Di?

Posted on November 30, 2011 in Media and Culture, The Opinionated

By Anshul Tewari:

Yes you know what I am talking about. Everyone is talking about it. The song, Kolaveri Di, has taken the country on a roll, and is now going beyond borders and creating ripples everywhere. Is it a music masterpiece? NO! Is it a lyrical masterpiece? NO! Then what is it about the song that has made it viral, cross the 10 million mark on Youtube, and get thousands on shares on Facebook?

NDTV even went to the extent of calling the song a “youth anthem”, which I think is an absurd statement. However, leaving aside all the critics of the song, the song catches the nerve of the listener just through its simple and layman lyrics, and music beats that are extremely easy to relate to.

Just the fact that the song, composed by 18 year old Anirudh Ravichander, has been composed with funny lyrics and is sung in an unconventional manner makes it all the more interesting, and the listener curious about it.

Even Amitabh Bacchan could not help but go gaga over the song. “‘Why this Kolaveri Kolaveri Kolaveri Di .. Ahh…just not leaving the lips and the mind and the system…such an endearing experience. Brings a smile and laughter and rhythm instantly to the face… get to YouTube, type Dhanush and Kolaveri Di… its his latest song that has become a rage all over,” Amitabh posted on his blog Bigb.bigadda.com.

“Dhanush, son-in-law of Rajinikanth, a young brigade superstar in Tamil Cinema married to Aishwarya, Rajini’s daughter…its lovely. Kolaveri… Tamil for rejected lovers rage, in a sweet way…now getting used as verbiage in almost any walk of life, social, political…every where!! tremendous,” he posted. (source)

So, what does “Kolaveri” mean?

Kolaveri is a highly popular slang among Tamil youth, normally used to silence a cranky person in a group. It is among several Tamil words which youngsters use between themselves without implying actual meaning. The slang has been used by the makers of 3 to depict the anguish of a person who has just tasted rejection from the hands of a girl whom he liked.

So what do you think? Why THIS Kolaveri Di?

Vineet Gupta

hmmmm

Samonway

The rhythm my friend, the rhythm… And of course it’s always hard to do the most simple things in life in simple ways… :)