Old Saga In New Cover: Revolution 2020 #Book Review

Posted on November 14, 2011

By Adeena Jamal:

So another Chetan Bhagat hits the stand. Fifth to be precise.The book is a Bollywood script with all the drama and jazz. Chetan Bhagat knows the Indian psyche and how to play around with it and thus has the best money making formula in his hand. He knows the little aspects of education and corruption that ignite the fire in the millions of Indians and that is exactly what he talks about. His new venture is the same old saga, without any unpredictable angles redefining the read. 296 pages later and you shall probably be amused to have probably sailed through a melodrama that is nowhere close to a literary classic.

The book starts with little friendship that blooms into a love story in Varanasi. The book begins to highlight the discrimination in the education set up of the country and the persistent corruption in every aspect. To start with Chetan Bhagat has tried all efforts to explain the rather redundant scenario of engineering coaching classes and the fact as to how there are such little seats. And that is where he gains the brownie points. Talk something half the country’s youth is worried about.

The book has a very clichéd ending that was predictable going by the stereotypes set by Chetan Bhagat and the Bollywood masala flicks. Even an ardent fan of Chetan Bhagat might be disappointed if you expect a lot of revolutionary stuff from the book. CB knows not how to deviate from his traditional style. By the time you are half way through you can perhaps guess the ending.(yes! It is predictable yet again) It is a regular love saga with a new age modern backdrop that has been incorporated with certain upcoming topics of national interests and written in a typical Chetan Bhagat style.

The book’s title could have been anything else, for Revolution 2020 is not the major theme in the book .Moreover; the title does not justify the storyline. An absolute folly in the title which sounds more like a superhero comicstrip.

The book was extended too long and dealt with aspects that were barely required and were present only to elongate the story and not add any substance to it. The first hundred pages were too long and could be dealt in a lesser word limit.

The grammar yet again is nothing that can be applauded about. It has its loopholes. Yet it is the grammar that would probably be understood by the masses. It has slangs and a jargon that the Indian youth use today. And something that sells. The language of the book is best suited for people who have just been introduced to the world of reading but will probably choke a refined reader. It is a breezy read that will leave no impression in the minds of the reader.

The rage that once was created by Chetan Bhagat amongst readers seems to be slowly dying. The charisma is lost and with the repeated style of writing, the audience wants to read something more impressionable. The saga by Chetan Bhagat might keep alluring the masses with the spoilt grammar and clichéd storylines. If you expect Chetan Bhagat to deviate out of his writing style, you are in for some major shock.

YouthKiAwaaz.com is an award-winning and India's largest online platform for young people to express themselves on issues of critical importance. This article has been written by a Youth Ki Awaaz Journalist. You can submit an article too. Click here to write for Youth Ki Awaaz - share your opinions and get heard.

Aditya

Its not that bad. In India if you want common people to read your book, then you need to add some spice to story, and I think it was a perfect blend of message and spice.
Message was encoded and conveyed properly to the public.
If it was only for revolution then Maximum part of the youth would have ignored the book.

Aditya

Agreed Aditya!

abhishek maurya

Hi, If you read the review and wanna download a copy of the book for reading before purchase, you can refer here. http://www.rajcomicscollection.com/2011/10/revolution-2020-free-download-chetan.html Its always better to have a soft copy of your fav novel.

Anonna Dutt

Despite of what people say I think Chetan Bhagat is a good author…. Yes, his books are extremely predictable but still don’t we get hooked on to the story and read the book in its entirety? …. Talking about the language, I think his use of flawed grammar connects us better to the book….

When I first started reading the book, I thought that the story is soo much like ‘Hazaaron Khwaishen Aisi’ but the whole point is that I still kept on reading and finished the book effortlessly!

If we look at it objectively, the job of an author is to make people read and not give messages so I feel he is damn good with whatever he does….

Adeena Jamal Ahmad

Anonna . There is absolutely no denial about the fact that Chetan Bhagat can hook you onto his books. That is what his charm is about .And it ends there.
    However to categorize him into a good author is extending it a little too much.

Can Chetan Bhagat ever give writers like Vikram Seth or other acclaimed writers? I am assuming you will say in the negative.

His English is flawed and that is why it appeals to the mass? So a country which speaks English at a large scale, has people who are appealed by flawed English?

Indirectly . No scope for Indians to even speak better and infact applaud a man who writes flawed English.

Shibesh Mehrotra

Anonna, getting a person hooked is not that difficult a task, really. Touch the right chords and it’ll take you less than a minute. Hitler had a whole country hooked to him. If you want examples from Art, look at the Rage Comics/Memes/Trollfaces so common on FB today. They’re famous because people get hooked to them. Some of they may even be witty but I certainly won’t call the guy creating those an ‘artist’ in any sense of the word. Draw a parallel between my examples and the man in question, you’d start seeing that he’s not a good author, he’s not even mediocre, I think Garfield comic strips are better than his books. He’s a good businessman with a sense of the average Indian mindset. He knows what sells. Simple.

Mohammad Khasimul Asif

I agree with you , Adeena. His repeated usage of life around IITs and coaching classes to grab attention of the aspirants is going way beyond a limit.He should have justified the choice of the title.He does not give much attention to the character involved with R2020. Moreover, I believe he can skip the usage of colloquial slang which is hardly entertaining.

He defintely succeeds in creating a rage with his masala love stories.Flipkart had to hire 500 more delivery boys on the book release day to dispatch the prints,but CB has to change his style to send a good message for he has a good following already.

Pratyush Prasad

well this would be a bit unfair towards the book and the author. yes, not a brilliant book but its good enough. and having spent some time in varanasi, i could relate myself to the places. the incidents given were true as to how the boys spend time at the ghats, a boy and a girl on a boat, the dam problem etc
so, basically chetan bhagat has taken note of the facts of the students in varanasi and the pressure for engineering in the families
so overall it was a book good enough to read and have fun