By Anshul Tewari:

After a lot of buzzz about the world’s cheapest car, India came up with yet another technology that has created uproars – globally. The Akash Tablet is the world’s cheapest tablet PC that features the setup of a professionally made tablet at a highly affordable rate. Aimed at the school going youth, the tablet is priced at Rs. 2500. Another version of the tablet available for consumption by anyone and everyone (non-students) is called Ubislate 7 and is priced at Rs. 2999. The tablet has been made by a company called DataWind.

The best part about the tab is that it levels the availability of technology to anyone and is a fantastic initiative to bride the digital divide in India.

At such a cheap rate, we find out if the tablet is really worth it. Let’s have a look at the features and analyse them along side:

• Android OS 2.3: The device features the latest Android 2.3 (Gingerbread). If you have used an Android phone, you have already experienced it. For others, it is a smooth operating system with nice features and a backend that is literally smart.
  • Cortex A8, 700 Mhz Process with HD Video Co Processor: This is great. The video below will show you the quality of the video playing on the tablet. The feature is an unexpected add on in a tablet as cheap as Rs. 2900, but is surely a welcome add.
  • 256 MB RAM: Works well.
  • Storage: (Internal) 2GB Flash / (External) 2GB to 32GB Supported: No need to say much here. Store movies, songs, photos, videos, whatever you want – and enjoy on the go. Good part? Most of the Android apps are stored in internal memory and the tab gives you enough space for the same.
  • Peripherals: 2 Standard USB Ports (Ver. 2.0): For best connectivity with USB devices/computer.
  • Audio Out: 3.5mm jack: The standard headphone jack used by all Apple, Samsung and now – almost all Nokia devices. You can use the iPhone headphones, or any other headphones compatible with this.
  • Display and Resolution: 7″ Display with 800×480 pixels: This is fantastic. The tablet fits easily in the hand and is big enough to be a comfort to your eyes.
  • Supported Document Formats: All Version Office Document formats and many more. Need I say more?
  • High Quality Video Streaming & HD Quality Video Playback
  • Input Devices: Resistive Touch Screen. Works best. However, the prototype model that Datawind came up with had some problems with the screen. Reviewers mentioned that the screen did not respond fast and took time to load. It also had to be pressed harder to get the functions started. Hopefully, the final product being launched January end will not have this issue. But again, we’ll tell you more when we get hold of the device.
  • Connectivity with GPRS & WiFi IEEE 802.11 a/b/g: We were hoping it would have 3G connectivity too. But then… this is literally the best you can under in Rs. 3000.
  • Battery: Upto 180 minutes of battery, AC adaptor 200.240 volts.

Is it worth it?

Simply, yes! It is more than worth it. The tablet is good looking and is better than many other low end tablets. The world never thought that you could get a tablet PC in as cheap as Rs. 2900 (USD 58). A highly affordable device that is loaded with all Android features.

For someone who cannot afford an iPad or another high end tablet, this is the best buy. It can increase your productivity, give you access to internet browsing on the go, looks cool and swanky and would add that extra gadgety touch to you.

However, you could (and we believe you will) face problems with regards to the touch screen. It might get irritating at times, but that is the best you can get in the given budget. But, if you can afford a Samsung Galaxy tab or an iPad, then don’t even think of getting this.

How do I buy it?

The first batch of tablets coming out January 2012 end have already been pre-booked. However, the bookings for the tablets coming out in March are open and can be pre-booked at http://www.ubislate.com/ or http://www.akashtablet.com/.

Aakash Tablet from Venturebeat on Vimeo.

Check out the video review below:

Will you buy the Akash tablet? Let us know in the comments section below.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 10:16 am November 19, 2012
Roshan Bisht
Reply
Author

hw can i buy this tablet i m a student…

Harvey Specter
Posted at 11:19 am October 25, 2012
utsav
Reply
Author

Thanks Ansul tiwari for new version akash tablet.This tablet is really amazing any other tablet and this tablet will be very attractive for students and other people
utsav

Harvey Specter
Posted at 9:56 am June 11, 2012
Rajesh
Reply
Author

http://www.3gstore.in has Educational tablet PC for CBSE students & IIT JEE preparation.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 5:08 pm May 7, 2012
Nishant
Reply
Author

i want 2 buy

Harvey Specter
Posted at 12:25 pm February 3, 2012
sapan
Reply
Author

hey, nice review..would have been better if any information on how were they able to manufacture such a low cost tablet given the high input costs would have been highly appreciated.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 7:45 pm January 8, 2012
nishant bhati
Reply
Author

how can i buy it tell me

Harvey Specter
Posted at 8:13 am January 8, 2012
mohinder singh
Reply
Author

good morning sir
pls send me brocher and let me know how can
i booked for me and purchase and how it will take
time, pls send me features and asap
with regards
thanx
one agains cong for new invet. for indian people tablet phone

Harvey Specter
Posted at 12:43 pm January 6, 2012
ankur
Reply
Author

i need tablet pc aakash

Harvey Specter
Posted at 10:43 pm January 5, 2012
arun
Reply
Author

can we make calls from it ?

Harvey Specter
Posted at 6:04 pm January 5, 2012
ankit
Reply
Author

good

Harvey Specter
Posted at 2:29 pm January 5, 2012
SAGAR CHANDRAKANT SAWANT
Reply
Author

can it be used as mobile phone?
I am satisfied with other features on this price.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 1:26 am January 5, 2012
Ghalib
Reply
Author

I think this is pretty catchy device. Although i have an ipad stil i wil be getting my hands on it. It is worth it.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 10:00 pm January 4, 2012
Rohit Yadav
Reply
Author

Nice review of the device though i came across some errors. The point where you mention “256 MB RAM -it is too less to store applications” .Well the RAM is not internal memory, it is RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY and its never used to save anything. You have yourself mentioned in the following point about 2 GB internal memory which is where the downloaded apps are stored by default. Secondly, you mention that it does have WIFI IEEE 802.11 a/b/g and then you write that you wished it had WIFI. Well WIFI IEEE 802.11 a/b/g is just wifi mentioned with its IEEE certification. So , yes it does have wifi.

Harvey Specter
    Posted at 11:18 pm January 4, 2012
    Anshul Tewari
    Reply
    Author

Hey Rohit, I got confused about the point of RAM and have corrected it. The Wi-FI point was a stupid mistake by me while typing. I have corrected that too :)