Aakash Tablet: Features, Analysis, How Do I Buy It, Is It Worth It?

By Anshul Tewari:

After a lot of buzzz about the world’s cheapest car, India came up with yet another technology that has created uproars – globally. The Akash Tablet is the world’s cheapest tablet PC that features the setup of a professionally made tablet at a highly affordable rate. Aimed at the school going youth, the tablet is priced at Rs. 2500. Another version of the tablet available for consumption by anyone and everyone (non-students) is called Ubislate 7 and is priced at Rs. 2999. The tablet has been made by a company called DataWind.

The best part about the tab is that it levels the availability of technology to anyone and is a fantastic initiative to bride the digital divide in India.

At such a cheap rate, we find out if the tablet is really worth it. Let’s have a look at the features and analyse them along side:

• Android OS 2.3: The device features the latest Android 2.3 (Gingerbread). If you have used an Android phone, you have already experienced it. For others, it is a smooth operating system with nice features and a backend that is literally smart.
  • Cortex A8, 700 Mhz Process with HD Video Co Processor: This is great. The video below will show you the quality of the video playing on the tablet. The feature is an unexpected add on in a tablet as cheap as Rs. 2900, but is surely a welcome add.
  • 256 MB RAM: Works well.
  • Storage: (Internal) 2GB Flash / (External) 2GB to 32GB Supported: No need to say much here. Store movies, songs, photos, videos, whatever you want – and enjoy on the go. Good part? Most of the Android apps are stored in internal memory and the tab gives you enough space for the same.
  • Peripherals: 2 Standard USB Ports (Ver. 2.0): For best connectivity with USB devices/computer.
  • Audio Out: 3.5mm jack: The standard headphone jack used by all Apple, Samsung and now – almost all Nokia devices. You can use the iPhone headphones, or any other headphones compatible with this.
  • Display and Resolution: 7″ Display with 800×480 pixels: This is fantastic. The tablet fits easily in the hand and is big enough to be a comfort to your eyes.
  • Supported Document Formats: All Version Office Document formats and many more. Need I say more?
  • High Quality Video Streaming & HD Quality Video Playback
  • Input Devices: Resistive Touch Screen. Works best. However, the prototype model that Datawind came up with had some problems with the screen. Reviewers mentioned that the screen did not respond fast and took time to load. It also had to be pressed harder to get the functions started. Hopefully, the final product being launched January end will not have this issue. But again, we’ll tell you more when we get hold of the device.
  • Connectivity with GPRS & WiFi IEEE 802.11 a/b/g: We were hoping it would have 3G connectivity too. But then… this is literally the best you can under in Rs. 3000.
  • Battery: Upto 180 minutes of battery, AC adaptor 200.240 volts.

Is it worth it?

Simply, yes! It is more than worth it. The tablet is good looking and is better than many other low end tablets. The world never thought that you could get a tablet PC in as cheap as Rs. 2900 (USD 58). A highly affordable device that is loaded with all Android features.

For someone who cannot afford an iPad or another high end tablet, this is the best buy. It can increase your productivity, give you access to internet browsing on the go, looks cool and swanky and would add that extra gadgety touch to you.

However, you could (and we believe you will) face problems with regards to the touch screen. It might get irritating at times, but that is the best you can get in the given budget. But, if you can afford a Samsung Galaxy tab or an iPad, then don’t even think of getting this.

How do I buy it?

The first batch of tablets coming out January 2012 end have already been pre-booked. However, the bookings for the tablets coming out in March are open and can be pre-booked at http://www.ubislate.com/ or http://www.akashtablet.com/.

Aakash Tablet from Venturebeat on Vimeo.

Check out the video review below:

Will you buy the Akash tablet? Let us know in the comments section below.

Receive the week's top youth opinions right in your mailbox

We hate spam as much as you do!

About The Author

YouthKiAwaaz.com is an award winning, India's largest online and mobile platform for young people to express themselves on issues of critical importance. This article has been written by a Youth Ki Awaaz Journalist/Contributor. You can submit an article too. Click here to write for Youth Ki Awaaz, or to submit a photo or a video.