Dear Jobless-Hooter-On-The-Road, Let The Girl Walk In Peace

Posted on January 23, 2012 in Society

By Pavitra. K:

Incredible India, as it is claimed to be. Or, is it? Eve’s descendants are atrociously unsafe. If a girl/woman walks free of cat calls, whistles or anything remotely similar, 100 meters at a stretch, in any public place- I should stop dreaming, right here, right now. And ‘they’ blame us for the ‘provocative’ dressing. (?!). Highly unintended from one side, and totally aimed at, from the other. Post sunset, not many places are ‘safe’ enough. Statistics might claim that there are places relatively more unsafe, but let us think of it on an individual note: How many girls would count in when asked if they have been spared of such acts? A scarce number. Some matters can’t be generalized; but this is an issue for sure.

There is the ‘modern’ Indian woman, at par with the ways of the world, graduating, earning and getting financially strong and independent. But, when she gets back home, there she is, trying to avoid stalkers and scurrying back home. What a contrast in scenarios she is exposed to. Practically, no girl would want to halt and react in return- its consequences are unknown. Instead, she would want to escape out of the situation as soon as she can. Hence, the practice continues to remain. ‘Petty’ matters as hooting and cat calls make the network spread far and wide into horrendous and traumatic activities like sexual exploitation and rape.

So, how do we put an end to all this, apart from writing about it? As philosophers say, realization must come from within. Each human-male-being out there, involved in such disrespecting, immoral and uncivilized acts must start looking within and realize that he would start being human if he stopped such uncouth and unrefined acts. And then will be the time when Eve’s lineage will be safe in the real sense; and India would be Incredible.

Dear jobless-hooter-on-the-road, it’s not a sin being a girl; neither is it a matter of choice. It’s a matter of chance; and a way of existence; let the girl walk by in peace, do not make her conscious of what she is, and, kindly realize- what if someone did the same to your mother.

Ashwin

Good post. Crisp, to the point and practical. But certain girls ‘do’ dress up provocatively. Although that doesn’t justify men going to atrocious lengths mentioned above (which I, by all means condemn). But the fact that certain girls dress up explicitly remains. And that’s something to be checked. Sadly , that sense of shame can’t be imposed. It should come from within……
Again, good post! Keep them coming :-)

Urvashi Sharma

Really?? Girls do dress up provocatively??!! and how do u define that?? what do you think is provocative?? Do you really think only “provocatively”(whatever that means) dressed women/girls are subject to this??
    You want to check what a girl wears, is it? who are you to decide that?? the Taliban??
    Why should a girl not dress up as she wants? Even if it is “provocative” to you… Men can wear anything and a girl can’t, is that so?

Please open your eyes and look at this world. And more importantly, open your mind. Stop posting idiotic comments. Sadly, shame should come from within you!!

wingslost

By the term provocative, you are simply pointing out your inefficiency of controlling yourself!!
    And come on, you said “certain” girls but what about the rest of the females?? I guess each and every female has been through or will go through things mentioned in the article! So what do you have to say about that? Or do you consider a school uniform or burqa also “provocative” ??