The Story Of A “Decision” You Had Best Known About

Posted on January 15, 2012 in Learning+

By Shobhana Sridhar:

I am going to let you in to an excerpt from my life: 17 years old, 12th boards didn’t go that well, hadn’t cleared any medical entrance exams, life was looking dull for me. Standing on the balcony I was wondering what to do and then, I saw this beggar shivering due to the slight chilly air and coughing continuously. Everyone cut a wide arc around him on the road. I wanted to help him, but I could not because I wasn’t a doctor and I wasn’t independent. My parents wouldn’t and couldn’t allow me to go and show him to a doctor. That’s when I decided to become a doc, to serve the people — a noble cause for a noble profession.

The next year I worked hard, I got through. Simple story, I should be satisfied now and working hard to become a good doc, yes? No, it’s not so simple.

After completing my first year of medical school which is difficult given that med school hierarchy takes some getting used to and the studies too aren’t all that easy, I felt that I lacked passion. I had my reasons for saying it .

The point is – isn’t 18 years a bit too young for us to make a decision about what we want to be for the rest of our lives, huh? No, don’t get me wrong, I am not licensing our parents or anyone else to take the decision, on our behalves. The gravity of the decision escaped me, with all the tension in the atmosphere and combine with it the fact that I didn’t have too many options.

What I think we would be better off with is – interviews at the undergrad level for admissions and having a system which gives importance to participation in extracurricular activities rather than separating us into “geeks /nerds” or “sportsmen/women” at the senior secondary level. We can take admission in a college on the basis of the percentage we scored in the Boards or under the sports quota- how weird is that?

We have a nation full of people wrongly matched and stuck forever with whatever it is that they are doing. Wouldn’t the nation progress better and be happier as a whole when the majority of these people had chosen what suited them best (I will take it as given that people normally know at some point in their lives what they would/are/will be best at)?

Had there been interviews I may have gotten into a course very different from the one I am currently pursuing and the interviewers would have more than amply highlighted my deficiencies for the particular course.

Chakradhari. Rowe

Hi Shobhana,

If you go back in time, what attracted foreign rulers to India was not gold, money or any other glittering metal. What got them to this great nation was FEAR of being defeated by the Indians. From the earliest of times, our education system has been the best ever in the history of mankind. This education was solely built on “Awareness of the Self”. Complete focus was towards the individual realizing and discovering their inner potentials and talents. That explains, how we ranked the highest. India’s “Original Education System” gave birth to world leaders like Chanakya, Swami Vivekananda and the likes. The produce of such great men from one soil was the biggest threat to the world which then was in a war mood.

That is why the British came in and brought in their education system. That is when they wore expensive & stylish clothes and lured few Indians to think it was great to be “Educated in Their Way” and its was considered high class to go for a “JOB”. Before these concepts came in, Indian was a less than 2% poverty country.

Fast forward to today…. In spite of the British going away and giving us the “SO CALLED FREEDOM”, we are still following the education system that jams the mind and doesn’t allow any scope of “SELF REALIZATION and DISCOVERY”.
As Swami Vivekananda said – “The present system of education is all wrong. The mind is crammed with facts before it knows how to think”. (CW.8.280).

I perfectly understand what you feel. But you might not be completely right :)

The point you mentioned that – (isn’t 18 years a bit too young for us to make a decision about what we want to be for the rest of our lives, huh?)
Is not completely right. The education that we are given from the age of 5 to 18 “DOES NOT” allow the mind to think by itself. We are all programed to become who we are compared to. I’ve always been compared to my cousins who are toppers in their academic fields and NONE of them can do what I can do. Compose music or sing in front of 10,000 people.

now i can go on and on and on and on…….and on …..on this topic. Write books and talk sense too. But I’m just wasting my time and of those who read my script. So, what I’ve decided to do is to take ACTION.

For the extreme love i have for this great nation, I’ve decided to start a Leadership Organization where we help the young India become what they wanna become. We help them make a lot of money first (so that the parents don’t come in the way with livelihood issues) and then we help them in self realization.

We are currently facing loads of challenges and resistance from all the oldies (with due respect) and their industrial revolution mindset. But we will not go down quietly !

We are here to stay and help the Young India tear the roof that is holding them and make the vast universe their limit !

I know i’m all over the place in terms of the topics i’ve written about …. but this is the best a musician can do in a 20 mins break 😉

Maybe we can catchup on FB and talk more on this sometime !

FB – Chakradhari Rowe (pic with a Tiger)

God bless you and all the Young India !

InService
CD