The Dirty Picture Of Delhi

Posted on February 18, 2012 in unEarthed

By Minakshi Pharswal:

The national capital of India, famous for food, architecture and politics, is also famous for not being clean. Jasvinder Singh has been living in Delhi since 1987. He loves Delhi but the biggest thing that concerns him is the people living in Delhi do not respect this city. Jasvinder is a taxi driver at the Park Hotel and everyday he encounters people spitting or urinating on road.

Claire was born in Delhi. This is her first visit to the city as an adult after her parents moved to the U.S. Claire says Delhi is a beautiful city but not a very clean one. Seeing piles of garbage flooding the roads is not a very pleasant site. Spitting on road might raise eyebrows, elsewhere, but not in Delhi. Whether educated or illiterate spitting paan is a common trend among residents of Delhi and almost every pavement can be seen with paan stains everywhere in Delhi.

We can see people urinating by the side of walls and bus-stands every now and then. It is also very inconvenient for the girls and women who confront these sightings every day.
People clean their houses but make their city dirty by throwing piles of garbage on roadside. Seeing stray dogs and cows chomping on these piles is an assault on the senses. We claim to be cleanest but when it comes to cleanliness of public places why do we forget our civic senses?

Government started many drives like ‘Clean Delhi, Green Delhi’. But all the efforts are going in vain without full support and cooperation of public. During preparation times of the Common Wealth Games, the government of Delhi strictly warned the residents not to spit in public or urinate for the sake of the games but all the good manners ‘if there were any’ went along with athletes. Mahatma Gandhi said ‘Cleanliness is Godliness’. He not only meant physical cleanliness but also the cleanliness of the surroundings where you live. Delhi is our home and it’s our duty to keep it clean. All of us have to do just our own bit.

Image courtesy: http://dwarkainformation.blogspot.in/2010/09/second-side-of-coin-delhi-meri-shaan.html

YouthKiAwaaz.com is an award winning, India's largest online and mobile platform for young people to express themselves on issues of critical importance. This article has been written by a Youth Ki Awaaz Journalist/Contributor. You can submit a contribution too. Click here to write for Youth Ki Awaaz, or submit a photo or video.

Jayeta Gill

Minakshi i totally agree with your voice. Being a delhite i totally agree to the point you’ve made about the city’s deteriorating health conditions. It’s really sad that all people want their houses to be clean but they have no concern for their surroundings. I live in a locality where all the people are least bothered about the apartment surroundings. They dump their household dump sometimes outside the houses. It’s a shame they you don’t respect the city you’re living in. It’s a problem with the mentalities of our people. it really can’t be fixed without a proper education system to each and everyone. It really does make me sick. even when i want to do something, it has eventually no effect on the people. it’s pretty short lived.

pooja negi

Minakshi I also think the same about our city. It shows that the people here have become so educated that their life is now confide to their spacious air-conditioned rooms & offices which doesn’t allow them to peak outside & see the deteriorating condition of our city. It’s high time that government should make strict laws against those polluting our city.

Mohan chandra Pargaien

The whole matter of cleaniless can be linked with individuals initiatives and priorities. Before expecting Govt to do much (which is required )we should be really proactive to start small things at home .It can be as simple as separating waste into two category, reduction in use of plastic, reduced consumption in-spite of our improved purchasing power and last but not the least a will to make our environment less polluted and worth living not only for ourselves but also for the future generations.
http://anubhootiviewsnews.blogspot.in/2012/02/is-community-cleanliness-in-india-is-of.html