By Twesh Mishra:

With the dust of elections settling in Uttar Pradesh, a new face emerges in the most politically motivated state of the country. Akhilesh Yadav successfully steered the Samajwadi Party to the status of Single Largest Party while capitalizing on the Anti – incumbency wave during the Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2012.

As of now, 217/403 seats out of are in favour of SP with the ruling majoritarian BSP crumbling near the 70s mark. The streets of Lucknow are filled with SP supporters who are leaving no stone unturned to mark their return into the corridors of power.

The two national parties Congress and Bhartiya Janta Party were seen struggling for a respectable 3rd slot. The Congress bigwigs were quick to absolve star campaigner Rahul Gandhi of the guilt for faring tragically in the elections. The BJP maintained a comparative studies silence and the Bahujan Samaj Party was completely neglected from all limelight.

The Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2012 are being witnessed as a mock test for the 2014 Parliamentary elections. Novel introductions into the campaigning and a wave of Anti-incumbency were the determining factors in these elections. If analysing the results one may draw some very interesting conclusions. The first loss at the Ayodhya assembly seat since the Babri Masjid demolition on has been a major setback to the BJP. The introduction of new media as a means of campaigning for elections has been a distinguishing factor.

Cynics of Samajwadi Party have been prophesising lawlessness with their advent in the state. Regardless of the criticism, the fact is that they have garnered a support of the majority in UP in an assembly election which has marked the highest voter turnout. The excitement of forming the government and the prospective Chief Minister has been dominating the television screens since 8 AM.

There is much that can be taken away from the Uttar Pradesh elections; the frightening anti-incumbency wave followed by the dismal performance of the national parties is certainly worth pondering over. For parties other than SP, there is ample time to procrastinate over their misdeeds. The Uttar Pradesh elections have once again reinforced the claim that this state will never be enslaved to one rule or establishment for long.

What has led to the commendable performance of the Samajwadi Party is continuous footwork and balancing the caste equations. The party ensured that it maintained a regular interaction with the workers throughout the tenure of Maya raj in the state. The anti-maya struck the chords of the voters.

For Mayawati the future is shrouded in darkness, with the CBI hounding her in cases ranging from the Taj Corridor and the NRHM scam the loss of the crucial seat of Uttar Pradesh may have far reaching repercussions than predicted. For Rahul Gandhi and the revolutionary brigade, the UP elections 2012 were enough to give the congress scion a taste of the dirty politics in the state. The BJP has already started licking its wounds and preparing for tackling down the Parliamentary elections.

A word about the UP elections is incomplete without mentioning The Peace Party, the party faired much worse than all the expectations it had garnered and eventually dissolved into virtual inexistence.

To conclude I wish to mention something which I overheard at a tea stall, ‘UP mein sabse jatil rajneti hoti hai, ek baat bahut zaroori hai samajhna ki yaha supporter alag aur voter alag hota hai’. (Politics in UP is the toughest in the country. An important point is that there is a huge difference between supporters and voters)

Harvey Specter
Posted at 12:04 am March 7, 2012
Bade Bhaiya
Reply
Author

अपने पास जो ख़बर है वो ये कि मायावती से नाराज़ सारे पंडितों ने इस बार मुलायम की झोली भर दी है। बाकी पिछड़ों में अगड़ों ने अपना नौ फीसदी काटे जाने के खुर्शीद और बेनी के बयानों के डर से साइकिल का कैरियर पकड़ लिया। वैसे राहुल बाबा अगर वोट मांगने के अंदाज़ में वोट मांगते तो थोड़ा बहुत उनका हिस्सा बढ़ता भी, पर वो तो यूं लगा कि वसूली करने निकले हैं। वोट देते हो कि नहीं…

Harvey Specter
Posted at 11:52 pm March 6, 2012
pallavi devpriya chauhan
Reply
Author

Crime, communalism and corruption have been dominating Uttar Pradesh politics. Let us see what the Samajwadi Party does to tackle these problems. We must give Mulayam Singh Yadav and Akhilesh Yadav a fair chance to do that.

l

Harvey Specter
Posted at 9:55 pm March 6, 2012
Saif Ahmad Khan
Reply
Author

The Samajwadi Party naturally inherited the benefits of the anti-incumbency wave against the rule of the Bahujan Samaj Party because it was the principal opposition party in UP. The inability and failure of the INC and the BJP to effectively communicate to the masses of their ability to reach the halfway mark, swung many votes towards the Samajwadi Party as the voters very cautious and wanted to cast their vote for the victorious party but the SP doesn’t seem promising to me. I say this inspite of the fact that my maternal grandfather today managed to win a seat to the Legislative Assembly for a third time on an SP ticket from a constituency of Azamgarh.The old leadership of the party is miserable and Akhilesh is the only hope who might steer the party to something constructive.