Alternative Career: Greeting Card Illustrator

Posted on March 20, 2012 in Alternative Careers

By Kaumudi Tiwari:

When I was asked to write about an out-of-the-box career option, my mind went back to a book I had read sometime back. The book I had read was written by Jennifer Weiner and was titled, ‘Best Friends Forever’. In this book, the main protagonist had a very peculiar but interesting job. She happened to be a Greeting Card Illustrator. That is where I got my ‘out-of-the-box’ career option- Greeting Card Industry!

Diwali, Holi, Christmas,Eid, New Year, Navratri, RakshaBhandhan, Birthdays, Belated Birthdays, the ‘Get Well Soons’— the reasons and occasions for giving and receiving cards are, to put in a word, endless. Now think of it, where do these cards come from? Who designs them? Who thinks of the sweet/funny/touching messages that go inside the greeting cards?

Greeting card companies are always encouraging writers and illustrators to submit their ideas for new cards on a regular basis and if you are good enough, these companies will be willing to pay you handsomely to keep you writing for them. It is a job that can easily be done from home and doesn’t require complex contracts. As an employee you just need to know how to express an appropriate message in a few succinct words or drawings/photographs.

Though the employment opportunities in this industry are a little scarce, but companies are always ready to welcome freelancers who get paid on the number of cards they are able to write/design. In foreign countries though, this is a huge and lucrative market. It is reported that in U.S.A. and U.K., one idea can get you $150 (Rs. 7500), so 2 cracking ideas each day of the week will see you welcoming the New Year with a $100,000 (Rs. 50,00,000) pay cheque!

So, if you want to have a CV which describes you as something other than a Doctor or Engineer and if you can write and draw well, this might just be the perfect profession for you!

Image courtesy: http://garciamedialife.com/tag/hallmark-cards/

YouthKiAwaaz.com is an award winning, India's largest online and mobile platform for young people to express themselves on issues of critical importance. This article has been written by a Youth Ki Awaaz Journalist/Contributor. You can submit a contribution too. Click here to write for Youth Ki Awaaz, or submit a photo or video.

Leena

Great article!
Any ideas on the companies that invites msgs form freelance writers in India?

Vani Pradeep

Thanks for this useful information. Can I know how to find out opportunities for freelance writers in Greeting Card Companies?

Rosalyn

What are the educational qualification to become a greeting card illustrator? And where do I submit my ideas?

Nidhi Sharma

I’m a writer n have composed a couple of poems n verses. .I want to get paid for them n if succeed, would love to continue writing.

Sakil Ahmad