Apple, Nokia, Samsung and Many More! What To Choose?

Posted on March 14, 2012 in Sci- Tech

By Udit Garg:

Which mobile manufacturer is the best? Which mobile is cheapest? Which mobile to buy? Any mobile buyer has millions of questions like these, but does every mobile seller have the same answer to each question? No, impossible to do that!

I am not a tech-savvy person, but I have quite an interest in the subject because I realised that I actually have a lot of experience in the “field” — I’ve used various mobile devices in my short life, ranging from various different manufacturers. I had an old Black-and-White Nokia phone, then I got myself a Nokia 5800, then got bored and bought myself the Samsung Guru, then the Samsung Wave, then an HTC Touch, then a Nokia X1, then Nokia E6, and then finally an Apple iPhone 4; quite a list isn’t it?

But even today, after the experience I seem to have when it comes to these matters, if I go to the electronics market to buy a mobile, I will yet again be confused as ever! So, in order to simplify matters for myself and all readers of Youth Ki Awaaz, let’s talk about each mobile manufacturer one by one:

Nokia: Great phones at cheap cost, good touch screen, loads of 3rd party applications, Symbian in most cases, slow processors, camera isn’t great in most models, huge scope for development.

Samsung: Cheapest and reasonably-good quality phones, cheap material used, cost-cutting features incorporated, good touch screen, Android and Bada in most popular models, millions of applications on the Android Store, great camera quality, easy-to-use interface.

Apple: iOS, easiest-to-use interface, practically no Bluetooth, not much good free applications, great camera quality, highly-priced, best and most responsive (not to mention sturdy) touch screen.

HTC: On an overall basis – great phones, Android, low battery life, HTC Sense, intermediately-priced, solid quality, good camera, 2nd best touch screen after apple.

Micromax: Targeted for poor, cheap build and quality, reduced life cycle, fine touch screen, cloned OS.

Apart from the above mentioned manufacturers, I am of the opinion that other manufacturers are even not worth being part of the list. So my verdict is that if one has money and doesn’t bother about the Bluetooth-sharing feature then Apple iPhone is best option to go for — else go for HTC, and the next option following that would undoubtedly be Nokia. Samsung, as a brand, may sound embarrassingly low-standard, but its higher-range phones are in competition with HTC which, though, is way better than Samsung in each and every aspect.

Though the above analysis seems to be exhaustive, it has been a long time that I’ve been searching for a good replacement for my Nokia E6, and I find myself, yet again, in an electronics store, looking for a new phone! I was talking to my father, who uses the Apple iPhone 4S, who said, “This is the best phone I’ve ever used, everything I want in flicks of fingers, no need to have a booklet to learn its features and all! I just love it!”, while I was talking to one of my cousins, who uses HTC Sensation, and he said, “I love it — its Interface, OS, Touch Screen, its Social Networking features — I just love it!

I rest my case with the statement, “Don’t look for a mobile device that has features, just seek a device that is best for one’s use!”

Shibesh Mehrotra

Hi Udit,

I have some issues with this article. First off, as you pointed out, you’re not a technophile, so you have limited knowledge of the capabilities of each of the brands that you have reviewed and of the phones that you have used. IMO research is the most crucial step in an article about technology because while you were glazing over your iPhone, you missed some of the best devices that these brands released in the *past 2 years*.

Nokia: ” Great phones at cheap cost, good touch screen, loads of 3rd party applications, Symbian in most cases, slow processors, camera isn’t great in most models, huge scope for development.” This for a company that had released two of the best Windows Phone 5 months prior to the publishing of this article? For the company that houses the N8, the leader in cameraphones, from 2010 to date? For the company that released a total of 5 phones with processing powers greater or equal to 1Ghz, in the past 5 months?

Samsung: “Samsung, as a brand, may sound embarrassingly low-standard, but its higher-range phones are in competition with HTC which, though, is way better than Samsung in each and every aspect.” Really? So, can we ask for the aspects in which HTC beats Samsung? Camera – HTC have by far the worst cameras ever seen on mobile devices, while Samsung’s cameras are on par with the iPhone 4S’s. Samsung’s touch response is way better than HTC. If you look at the higher generation phones, pitting the S II and Note vs the HTC Sensation, and do a bit of research, you would realise how far behind HTC really is. UX is a big factor in the success of a device.

Micromax: “cloned OS”? Android is open source. Definition of Open Source – Any software whose source code is distributed among the general public for them to edit/modify. Like Google Chrome, like Linux. So, no “open source” software can ever be called cloned. I’m not nitpicking here, as a tech beat writer, you should know the impact of each word you use to describe something.

And no mention whatsoever of brands like LG or Motorola? So the Optimus 3D or the Atrix aren’t good enough for you?

I’m sorry if my comment sounded harsh overall, but these things need to be said, if not by your editor, then by a reader who disagrees with almost every word in the article.

Shibesh

P.s. You can choose to moderate/delete this comment. I have no problems against it as long as you understand the importance of research in an article. I read another of yours, “Laptops, Netbooks, something something” I feel your genuine contribution to it was writing the introductory paragraph and the ending paragraph. The rest was like a Class 10th Computer textbook. If you wish to pursue a career in Journalism, you had better start working for your by-lines.