BloodConnect: Donate. Not Out Of Pockets, But Out Of Veins.

Posted on March 31, 2012 in Specials

By Nitum Jain:

Undoubtedly, blood is the most precious liquid to any human, especially since it is yet to find a substitute. Taking the case of just the capital of the country of over 1.2 billion, Delhi’s annual estimated requirement for blood is around Four Lakh units, of which, only about 50 per cent is met through Voluntary Blood Donation. The shortage of blood is so acute that it leads to illegal activities like sale of blood, trade and the like. Despite a huge number of blood banks and a sizable number of donations in Blood Donation Camps, there are still many people who die due to the unavailability of blood. One organisation is enthusiastically working to change this.

BloodConnect is a student’s initiative aimed to ensure that no person suffers due to shortage of blood. Started in IIT Delhi (by NSS IIT Delhi) on 1st April 2010, it has now expanded to become an initiative run by students from the University of Delhi and Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.

They organize regular Blood Donation Camps with Government Blood Banks in colleges, corporates as well as residential areas and handle Blood Requests through our Blood Helpline Team with an aim to ensure that every patient in and around Delhi who needs blood, gets SAFE blood. Patients can place requests for blood on the helpline. As soon as someone raises a request with them, a member of the helpline team contacts the relative of the patient and if the request is deemed an emergency, they help them to fulfil the request through a private database of Voluntary Student blood donors. Till now they have organized over 26 blood donation camps leading to over 2500 donations and saving more than 5000 lives.

BloodConnect is organizing a Cultural Program on their second anniversary, 1st April 2012, at Amphitheatre, India Habitat Centre. The program will involve awarding regular donors and camp organizers, band performance, street play on blood donation and a panel discussion with blood banks.

For further details, visit their www.bloodconnect.org or www.facebook.com/bloodconnect

YouthKiAwaaz.com is an award winning, India's largest online and mobile platform for young people to express themselves on issues of critical importance. This article has been written by a Youth Ki Awaaz Journalist/Contributor. You can submit a contribution too. Click here to write for Youth Ki Awaaz, or submit a photo or video.

Pooja Negi

I really think that it’s an amazing initiative by those IIT students because being a medical student I can really appreciate this as daily I came across students who die only bcz they didn’t get donors to donate blood for them & most of the time they are from the poorest section of society. So, well done guyzz