Google’s Reformed Policy: A Step towards ‘Googlisation’?

Posted on March 2, 2012 in Sci- Tech

By Sapan Parekh:

In the recent times, web giant Google has increasingly become useful to the point of being indispensable. Google has a “toehold”, if not foothold in almost all spheres of the Internet. Each day millions of users share with Google a part of their private life in the form of their user data and search queries. Such information, if misused, can cause immense repercussions in the web-world, where privacy and anonymity have suddenly become the buzzword.

In this scenario, the privacy policy of Google has come under heavy criticism for being extremely complicated. Google has a general policy, followed by specific policies and terms of use for each of its many products. Here is a list of some products that have their own policy: +1 Button, Advisor, Apps, Blogger, Books, Chrome,  Google+, Google Music, Google Notebook, Google TV, Google Web Toolkit, Groups, Orkut, Picasa, Sites, Store, Toolbar, Voice, Web History, YouTube etc. Does reading the privacy policies of all the products seem arduous to you? It does to me.

Enter March 1st: We now see a seminal change in the way we (technically Google) search the web. Google has now gotten rid of over 60 different product-specific privacy policies, replacing them with one that’s a lot shorter and easier to read. The new policy would cover multiple products and features creating a simple and intuitive experience across Google. The new privacy policy and terms of service can be read www.google.co.in/intl/en/policies/privacy/review and www.google.co.in/intl/en/policies/terms/regional.html respectively.
Thus, if you have a Google account and are signed in, Google will combine information that you have provided from one service with information from other services, treating you as a single user across all its products. Over time this would mean that you will have more relevant search results, ads and other content when you are using Google services.

So if you just searched for a second hand car on Google search engine, Google will ensure that the ads on your Gmail are related to second hand cars. Similarly a more consistent user experience across Google might mean that the users may get more accurate spelling suggestions because they have typed them before.

So this new policy allows Google to expand and integrate their products. Thus we all stand to benefit from tighter integration in the near future between many of the products that Google offers. Also, for the purpose of allaying fears of privacy violation; a simple yet very informative video (available at www.google.co.in/intl/en/policies/principles/) has been created by Google to educate the users about the new policy.

With this new policy spewing increasingly relevant search results for the users, it seems to me that Google is all set to consolidate its position as the most-used search engine in the world.

Happy Googling!

Aswani

Thanks for the info. I think it is welcome change if we look at it from google point of view. But not the same for we users. Probably too much this time. Anyways, there’s no way out. Have to obey uncle G anyways :(