A Shady Start For The Uttar Pradesh Government: Too Early To Judge Or An Echo For The Coming Years?

Posted on April 9, 2012 in Politics at Play

By Twesh Mishra:

Barely month into governing unarguably the most politically sensitive state in the country, Akhilesh Yadav is having a hard time as the youngest Chief Minister of the state. The suddenly media shy CM’s government has been marred with a string of accusations regarding the deteriorating law and order situation of the state. A ground level survey of the capital Lucknow would reveal that nothing much except the striking degradation of the security precautions around Former Chief Minister Mayawati’s dream projects has occurred. Cases of crimes have steeped up and lawlessness seems to be dominating the streets of the city.

The hullabaloo when Independent MLA, Raghuraj Pratap Singh was appointed as Minister of Jails for the state as well as the orchestrated ruckus that ensued post the swearing in ceremony was a shameful state of affairs. Though Akhilesh seemed keen to purge the image of belonging to a party which promoted anarchy and proposed several reforms, the government has been till now busy in managing the bureaucracy to tune into their needs. Interestingly, Akhilesh’s ‘clean’ cabinet 11 men with criminal antecedents as ministers who had sworn to guide the state to the fullest of their capabilities.

The transfer of 17 IAS and 5 IPS officers on March 15, 2012 or rather the instant replacement of Dalit officers from high posts has been an expected yet notable transition coordinated by the party in command. If considering the magnitude in numbers, 109 provincial civil service (PCS) officials were transferred from major departments on April 7, 2012. The sheer number of officials being reassigned is enough to convey the message that the Samajwadi government is adamant to dismantle any remains of the previous BSP regime.

Anarchy prevailed even before Akhilesh was crowned the Chief Minister and on March 10, 2012, a BSP supporter, Pappu lost his life in a clash between SP and BSP workers in Shandila Tehsil. On March 18, 2012 Sericulture Minister Mehboob Ali’s maiden visit to his constituency as a Minister was marred by excited supporters shooting in the air and holding up traffic for several hours on the busy Delhi-Moradabad national highway. Subsequently, in Samajwadi heartland Auraiya, the bridegroom’s brother was killed by an SP worker, Suleiman, when he fired at a wedding party. The shooting of a Block Development Officer (BDO) in Uttar Pradesh’s Jhansi district, S.K. Shrivastava, by a local Samajwadi Party worker on the night of Sunday March 25, 2012 was the first of the violent incidents involving a government official.

Violent attacks, kidnappings, murders and enraged party workers on rampage were characteristic features of the erstwhile Samajwadi government. Those optimistic assert that it is too early to judge the ensuing 5 years, but a government which has initiated of such a negative note is finding it hard to be in the soothsayer’s good books.

Twesh Mishra is a Political Correspondent of Youth Ki Awaaz.

YouthKiAwaaz.com is an award winning, India's largest online and mobile platform for young people to express themselves on issues of critical importance. This article has been written by a Youth Ki Awaaz Journalist/Contributor. You can submit a contribution too. Click here to write for Youth Ki Awaaz, or submit a photo or video.

Shreya

what i dont get is why are people transferred?just recently a high ranking IPS officer was removed from his posting at gaziabad to azamgarh ,the media reported it was because he was unable to control the law and order situation in the city,so the point is that he is not good enough for gaziabad so somehow azamgarh deserves him?