Because It”s All About Our Mind

Posted on May 16, 2012 in Health & Life

By Awanish Shahi:

First time ever in 2011 Indian Census enumerated the mentally ill persons. I didn’t see the statistics but tried calculation to get a probable figure. For calculation I zeroed in on one estimate which said that every two out of five Indians suffer from depression and anxiety. Longing for fast and furious progress, we Indians unknowingly invited a decomposer which is decaying our composure. So in backdrop of this superficial growth we are losing our minds. According to World Health Organization, depression will be the second largest illness in terms of morbidity in another decade.

If we see the awarenessof this problem, it has started but still slow. Urban society seems to be updating itself on the mental cure agenda but our countryside still remains untouched. We pay endlessly to our fitness trainer to get our body toned but when it comes to therapy, counseling and cure for our mental well being,we balk. We have immense stress and get hypochondriac very often;do we need counseling or therapy session? We blare; get reluctant and some times get evasive. This ‘therapy’ and ‘counseling’ like words have very dismal significance in our perception.

The social stigma which accompanies mental health problem is completely inhuman. A so-called ‘mentally ill ‘person is shunned from the society;he can’t work and can never live in mainstream normal society,and is a quintessential dweller of asylums and rehabilitation centers. Apparently a mental ill woman suffers a lot than a man and being a woman adds to her plight in society.

We have to see how this notion resided in our mind through years and how we can trespass any bad or detrimental phase of our life. In ancient Indian society mentally ill was considered as evil or witch-haunted, and with passage of time this saw a change in terminology as abnormal behavior, socially unacceptable, mad, insane and special residents (of asylums, jails etc).

Few years ago I saw the movie Tare Zameen Par and also saw how a kid suffering from dyslexia was counseled and transcended to a new kid with high aplomb and high energy. Why can’t we seek help in terms of counseling and therapy?Nowadays the psychological well-being of a human today is more of a socio-economic and social relationship. Today we have many systems of psychological medicines in India as Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha, and revolutionized modern psychiatry which integrates mental health care in community.

It’s not very hard to change the deep rooted problem related to mental illness .The change will come from ourselves .We are the sole conservers of the our greatest asset i.e. mind. It’s the situations and milieu around us which control and shape our emotions, mental composure and feelings. We don’t know how we will respond in an emotional catastrophe, anxiety, over stress and someone who can share and assist in fighting these problems is unavoidable. We, in spite of keeping our problems in disguise, sulking and thinking what people around us, will think can dig ourselves to see what is topping us and get healed by seeking mental health assistance.

Tarun Cherukuri

I agree with you Awanish. The first stage of ignorance is recognition of the situation. I’m glad we have progressed  to acknowledge the problem. The responses could be western medicine driven like therapy and psychiatry. But you have rightly identified the existing negative connotations of such medical practices. Maybe, it is time we really practiced the good practices all religions advocate like meditation, breathing techniques and prayer to alleviate stress and anxiety.

Awanish Shahi

Thanx Tarun for reading my write up and airing your genuine concern on this issue. Any social stigma remains deep rooted until we stand and roll up our sleeves.Look at our generation,the life style we have,the stress we take in work or relationship,the career crisis we encounter and many such unprecedented thrust life impels on us, these all situations put us in dilemma leading to anxiety,stress and psychological disorder. So in spite of shackled in old notion of ‘”mad” person needs treatment or counselling , we need to understand that anyone who is psychological facing any problem or crisis needs therapy or counselling by taking aid from counselor ,therapist or experts.In case we hide our problems in shame or ignorance,we will face tough situations and detrimental health condition which will curb our productive life. And we have numerous such cases taking place these days specially in our age group ( 20-30 yrs).So all we need to be open minded and pick up any suitable medication to heal our mind which is our greatest asset.

Mmrityunjay nanda

The orthodox & fundamentalism mentality should be melted in order to implement the change . By the way, Good one Awanish. :)

Kundan Pandey

Awanish, you have really raised a very crucial issue that needs quite significant attention in our country, especially at times, when we are at a cusp of great social and financial changes. I have experienced that all around me people are increasingly plagued by issues like anxiety, mood disorders and addiction. To some extent, all of us experience sudden outbursts of anger and exasperation from the daily affairs of this hectic life. I think mass mobilization regarding mental health is the need of the hour. As you have highlighted, we must increase emphasis on mind training and as Tarun also puts it, yoga and age-old meditation techniques can be really helpful. Your point regarding destroying the negative stigma associated to mental illnesses is indeed a very cogent argument. I think you can come up with another article on it, as we really need to spread scientific temper in the society, esp, on issues like ‘madness’, schizophrenia and dyslexia. I think when all guns are blazing in every country to be ahead of the other, virtues of mind-training can lead to the growth of societies that are not blindly chasing aspirations and getting insane. A beautiful mind has the potential to create a beautiful world and our spiritual traditions and medical advancements can help us to really treat mental illnesses.