Hijab-ily Ever After: Liberated, Strong, Empowered And NOT Oppressed

Posted on May 31, 2012 in Society

By Ayesha Nusrat:

It’s been over a month since I decided to become a Hijabi (one who wears a headscarf and adheres to modest clothing), and before your minds race to label me as the poster girl for oppressed womanhood everywhere; let me tell you as a woman (holding a Masters degree in human rights, and a graduate degree in psychology) why I see this as the most liberating experience ever.

I must state that my experiences haven’t been a walk on the red carpet either. Yes, I do get the expected whole range of strange looks, stares, and glances wherever I go. The most prized of the lot are the ones greatly accentuated with raised eyebrows which I gain when I am on the metro with the headscarf on, reading one of my favourite books, “Female Chauvinistic Pig — Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture”. (It is by Ariel Levy and it is a fascinating read, if anyone is interested). People always seem intrigued to know how I speak the local language fluently as I must have surely come from some Muslim country (2 out of 3 times, it has to be Afghanistan) to wear such a thing. So, I decided that the next time I am asked such amusing questions; I am going to show them my finger — the one with the indelible voting-ink which marks my identity as a patriotic Indian.

Apart from patriarchy, I assure you, Delhi summer will top the list of any hijabi’s archrivals. So at 45 degrees when everything around is sweating, smouldering and burning; I am bound to be asked, “Don’t you feel hot in that thing?” Even if it is the girl at the super market whom I’ll never see again, I almost feel like I am representing Islam and the perceived state of oppression my hijabi sisters are in with the answer I give her. I am pretty sure that no matter what I say, she will hear “My male overlords force me to wear this sweltering chauvinistic, suppressive piece of clothing against my will for I am my husband’s / father’s property much like a cow.

Hot or not (referring both to the weather and the fashion quotient), I believe my hijab liberates me. I know the media and the western world portray hijab as the placard for either forced silence or fundamentalist regimes; but personally, I found it to be neither. I should add here that my parents were pleasantly surprised when I announced on my birthday this year that I am a hijabi henceforth – meaning that I wasn’t coerced into taking it up.

In a society which embraces, if not enthusiastically persuades, uncovering – how can it be oppressive if I decided to cover up, independently? I see hijab as the freedom to regard my body as my own concern and as a way to secure personal liberty in a world that objectifies women. I refuse to see how a woman’s significance is rated according to their looks and the clothes they wear. I am also absolutely certain that the skewed perception of women’s equality as the right to bear our breasts in public would only contribute to our own objectification. I look forward to a whole new day when true equality will be had with women not needing to display themselves to get attention and won’t need to defend their decision to keep their bodies to themselves.

It’s no news that many modern, educated women are opting to wear the headscarf and that it is seen as one strong symbol of feminism, asserting an alternate mode of female empowerment – political and empowering in its own right. I see it as a way to affirm that my personal spirituality, feminism and personal space is not for public consumption. The bottom-line is, I cover my head, not my brain.

I know the voting ink will fade away in the next couple of months and so, the next time when my fellow customer at the chemists’ comments “Your country, Indonesia is a very beautiful country”, I will sing the Indian national anthem loud and clear.

Muneer

Like the article .., and appreciate very much .Wearing hijab inspired by words of god, to show to god that i want to be humble believer, will make much more difference than liberation and empowerment because these are feelings to wards other humans…but the actual feeling is to the god.

Saloni

Hey.
Your choice is your choice & I don’t have any right to judge you.
But why I’m vehemently against the hijab is because not all women are as fortunate as you are. Not all Muslim women have a choice, like you did, to choose to wear the hijab or the burqa. It was their parents, or their husbands, which forced them to take it up. Or, more commonly, it was the culture & religion they had to follow because they were God fearing. So the question of freedom of choice did not turn up for the MAJORITY of women.
Also, I believe the points you expressed in a paragraph here go against feminism. To quote you :

I am also absolutely certain that the skewed perception of women’s equality as the right to bear our breasts in public would only contribute to our own objectification. I look forward to a whole new day when true equality will be had with women not needing to display themselves to get attention and won’t need to defend their decision to keep their bodies to themselves.What do you think?

You think that breast displaying would most certainly lead to objectification of women, which is true, and so they should dress modestly. But don’t you think that rather than accepting it resignedly as you have-we need to change the mindset of the men rather than take precautions ourselves. Also, you said women display themselves to get attention.
Have you ever thought that women who wear skimpy clothes may actually like wearing them just as you like wearing the hijab & it may not be grabbing attention for them? You wear what you like and don’t want to be judged. But at the same time you judge women who wear clothing opposite to yours. That’s irrational.

Also, if women wear hijabs to protect themselves against assualt, it only indicates that our society has been a total failure in controlling criminals of assaults to such an extent that women couldn’t even walk out in the open with uncovered faces.

Shilpi

‘CHOICE” is an illusion here dear Ayesha…U are not more than a victim of social conditioning…..Hijab symbolises the control of society over the freedom of women that has taken deep roots in their psyche, which has altered their perception to accept it as their identity. By calling hijab their identity, women reduce their worth to a piece of cloth, bringing entire focus on their bodies. This is no different from using a woman’s naked body to sell products. The blatant sexualisation of body in both cases perceives women nothing more than source of temptation, pleasure and sin. However, the projection of such views is different in conservative and free societies – where one is exposed unnecessarily, the other is hid behind layers of unnecessary clothes. In both the societies, the choice is not the woman’s.
Slaves ask to better their ” slavement “situation.
YOU is wearing something that is used to oppress women, that many women are forced to wear (yOU may not be one of them). But wearing that very attire,you state that you don’t want to be oppressed for wearing something which is actually used to oppress a lot of women!!!!!!!!!
To me it just basically says: “I am already oppressed, don’t oppress me any further. Don’t oppress me for being oppressed.”
I need emancipation so that I can wear chains and serve my master without being called a slave!!!!!
Equlity is Anti structuralist. It’s egalitarian= what applies to one applies to all. Hijab does NOT apply to men. It’s is only for women to be seen as woman Freedom is freedom from social conventions or traditional ideas. Hijab is a social tradition. You can’t argue a women is liberated from traditional ideas, BY a traditional idea
I m free to think its ridiculous, and you can be free to wear it or not, its up to you.!!!!!

1 2