India After Gandhi: How the Country Sustains

Posted on May 8, 2012 in Politics at Play

By Pinak Pani Datta:

A few days back I read a book called India After Gandhi: The History of the Largest Democracy by Ramchandra Guha. The book pointed out something which I could not overlook. In Indian education system, the sub-continental history ends with the British Empire, or for some Gandhian biographers, till Mahatma Gandhi’s death in January 1948. The rest is documented either in the political science books or in popular culture viz. films, novels, etc.

This led me to think how such a huge country sustains and what India’s present position in the world scene is. India being a unique subcontinent in the whole world, its geographical location is also unique. Positioned just above the Indian Ocean, it is being surrounded by China, Pakistan, Russia, and the South Eastern countries.

India being so diverse in culture, language, food habits, is very much vulnerable to disintegration. A huge population of more than a billion people in a developing country makes it even more vulnerable. But still it sustains, and is making itself competent enough to answer back the world powers.

This is because India is a huge producer of talented human resource at cheap rates. This makes its economic position a dynamic one. If your economy depends on your population, then it’s strength rather than having an export like gold or oil. Their demand doesn’t vary on the quality, but well-trained human resource can’t be judged on quality. Indian economy sustains because of its population only.

The country is compiled with more than 21 major language groups; culturally the north India is totally different from the south, the east is totally different from the west. Often incidents like the Richard Loitam death and Gujarat riots makes the country bleed, but still the whole nation again cheers for the Indian cricket team.

Actually, India is such a country where a person has multiple identities. A person living in Delhi can be a Hindu, Bengali, Scheduled Caste, Graduate, Middle class, a Delhiite, and above all, an Indian. While a person living in, say, New York is an American. He speaks English, follows Christianity, and all eat similar dishes. This thing is common for all developed nations. India being so diverse also has maintained her dignity and is developing itself from nuclear sector to sports sector.

The country’s backbone is the nationalistic feeling induced by the British during their rule. The Indians, however many conflicts they had internally, fought for freedom as one unit under the Mahatma. And, even today if the Hindus and Muslims are fighting over the Ajodhya issue, they stand like brothers in an international forum. The day this brotherhood dies, will be the last day for a united India.

cv

I live in New York, I’m a vegan and not a christian. India is diverse but please consider that you know nothing about New York, especially considering the major diverse city that lies within the state.