Caste System Playing It’s “Role” Of A Discriminator In Yet Another Village

Posted on June 14, 2012 in Specials

By Ankit Varma:

India is a land of diversities, a nuclear power which worships snakes, the largest English speaking nation with a disappointingly low literacy rate of 74%. We claim to be the world’s largest democracy while our society continues to remain divided along religion and caste.

Caste system in its earliest form was nothing but a stratified socio-economic organization of the society devoid of any grading and equal opportunity for all. Over the years caste system like many other ancient systems went under changes largely due to the absence of a central authority which made room for the caste system to be easily manipulated and exploited by those in position of authority and power.

The caste system in its current form undermines the unity of the society and results in alienation of certain portions of our society. Humiliation and discrimination are not just long words; it’s a way of life for millions across the country. Discriminatory and degrading treatment justified on the basis of caste is not a rare sight in the country.

The nondescript village of Bhagna, half-an-hour away from the district headquarters at Hisar in Haryana tells another story of caste divide. On 20th May, 70 Dalit families decided to sit on an indefinite dharna demanding prosecution of members of upper caste under the schedule caste/schedule tribe act. The reason, extension of house on portion of community land by a family of chamar community was termed as encroachment and issue was taken up by the village panchayat. The root cause of the friction between the communities is the order given by the village panchayat and subsequently the court passed against the construction activity undertaken by the Dalit family. The village panchayat ordered construction of a wall around the disputed piece of land blocking access to the house of the Dalit family. These orders were upheld by the court and the village community was swift to act on the orders and the wall was constructed a day after the orders were passed by the court. This was followed by orders of social boycott of the Dalit community. The Dalit community has accused the village panchayat of foul play and claim that both the judgments have a very strong casteist under-tones. Bowing down to the agitation the panchayat demolished a portion of the wall but the wall was reconstructed the same night by those in position of power. This has only reinforced the divide among the communities.

Members of the Dalit community allege that this was not the first incident of caste based discrimination in recent years. Last year around 220 acres of panchayat land was distributed illegally to the villagers. Although promised 100 square yards under the Mahatma Gandhi Gramin Basti Yojana of the Haryana government, they were given away smaller plots. Jats, on the other hand, were allotted land in proportion to their existing holdings. Dalit families were also charged Rs.1000 for registration while it was done free of cost for the Jats. The deputy commissioner has declared the whole process illegal. Although a complicit in the illegal land distribution, Dalits launched a complaint only in December when they realized that they were being duped and will loose the portion of panchayat land being used by dalit kids. However the sarpanch and village elders are in no mood to back track on their decision. Their argument remains that upcoming six acre stadium will cater to needs of all communities. On May 28th the khap panchayat met to resolve the issues. This meeting was also attended by members of the Dalit community. However Dalit representatives refused to negotiate and hence truce could not be reached.

Questions have also been raised on the leadership heading the Dalit protest. Three men Balraj Saatrodiya, Virendra Bhagoria and Vedpal Tanwar have been accused of acting on political stimulus to score brownie points with the Dalits of the region. Responding to the allegations they have put the blame on the government for dragging its feet on the matter. Deputy Commissioner Agrawal has expressed his concern on the matter and has appealed to both the communities to come up with a solution acceptable to all the stake holders. But this won’t be easy because of the levels of distrust have reached a new low. Many Jat families are of the opinion that had the police not been stationed there to maintain the law and order situation, Dalits would have enacted a Mirchpur-like incident by burning their own house.

YouthKiAwaaz.com is an award winning, India's largest online and mobile platform for young people to express themselves on issues of critical importance. This article has been written by a Youth Ki Awaaz Journalist/Contributor. You can submit a contribution too. Click here to write for Youth Ki Awaaz, or submit a photo or video.

cutie

My this comment to katar hindu and coward brahmin who haven’t gut to fight for their own love but strange thing is they easily fell in love with other caste girls but dont have got for fight back..

What you are doing now is not fair.You are not giving any importance to your gal’s feelings.How can you avoid a gal whom you loved for past 4 years at this stage of your life where you need to take serious decisions?If you lack the courage to introduce the matter before your parents,then i can say you are a coward.If you are that much concerned about your parents,you could have think it earlier before you started your love.At least that gal is saved from you.But you gave her all hope,she loved you sincerly as her man and now you want your parents only.

I am not making you sad.I know that parents are important and they are like God.But this is not at a good solution.You are keeping things hidden from everyone.You are the only son of your parents – that means their only asset for future.So cant they understand your feelings towards that gal?Initially they may be against.But you can convince them slowly.How can you close your true affair even without a single try?Go man,get ready to take some risk for your loved one.Pls dont ignore her.Its like killing her.She made her family ready for you,its your turn now.I hope things will be fine at last.

cutie

Inter caste marriage should be encourage..bcoz if people take this step then castesim and religion based discrimination should be stop itself..we all are human being..God never created any caste and religion..even God dnt has any caste and religion…did you know that God belong to which caste and religion..then keep shut your mouth about this stupid varan system and caste system okh.. In ancient times, caste system had the seeds of liberalism. It provided the right and opportunity to get to the top from the humblest origin and earn the respect of the whole society. For example, Vashishtha, the principal of the conservative school of Brahmanism, was the son of Uravshi, a prostitute. Vishwamitra, the maker of the very Gayatri Mantra, the quintessence of the Vedic Brahmanism, was a Kshatriya. Aitreya, after whom the sacramental part of Rig-Veda is named as Aitreya Brahamana, was the son from a non-Aryan wife of a Brahman sage. Vyasa of Mahabharata fame was the son of a fish-woman and he was not ashamed of his origin. Balmiki, an untouchable according to present standards, the original author of Ramayana, is highly respected all over India..And only you can make it good or bad this inter caste marriage. Depends upon how much importance u give to these meaningless and stupid values. And how much importance u give to other people who value these meaningless things. U have to see how much u urself r attached to other people opinions. And since u r asking for opinion, it means u r attached to these meaningless things.

cutie

Whenever someone’s ask you about your caste then your answer should be to them is:I am a Brahmin in knowledge,I am kshatriya in valor,I am vaishya in business,I m shudra in service.

In the end I am just sanatam dharmi hindu and nothing else..Then say you proud to be a hindu..can u tell me onething kya knowledge sirf brahmino ke paas hi hoti hai kshritya,vaishya,shudra or other religion duffer hote hai..or valor kya kshtriya hi hote hai jb log danger mein hote hai toh kya brahmin vaishya,shudra or other religion apni raksha nhi kr skta..or business sirf vaishya hi kr sakte hai kya brahmin kshtriya shudra business nhi kr skte..or shurda hi ko servant or labour kyun kre jb work ki zarurat hoti hai toh kya brahmin kshtriya vaishya servant ban jayenge toh unko muath aa jayegyi or other religion ko kaam ki zarurat hoti hai toh har chota bada kaam kr lete hai family ko palne ke liye…or who the hell we r yeh category banane wale…kisi ko uske religion caste se judge krne wale…or forcibly kisi ko work thopne wale…insaan wohi kaam krega jis mein uska interest ho or jo kaam krne ki capabilty uss mein ho….we r the one idiot katar hindu…killed the castesim before it killed u all..

1 2 3