How Reservations In Delhi University Discourage Prospective Students

Posted on June 30, 2012 in Learning+, Society

By Ritika Pal:

According to the dictionary the definition of Reservation is “an arrangement whereby something, esp. a seat or room, is booked or reserved for a particular person”.

I completely agree with the above definition, but not with the manner in which “reservation” is carried out in our country. In the constitutional rules framed by the government of India, in government institutions 37% seats are reserved for the Schedule Castes and Schedule Tribes; figures which have been recently been raised to about 63% to including the Other Backward Class category.

My question is; In the entire country do we have only 37% general category people who want admission in the best government institutes? No! There are more than 37% who are vying for the same seats in the institutions, and many among them are student’s who have scored very well in their 10+2 examination and are yet unable to secure a good college for themselves. They are left with no option and go in for a college or course which they might not like to study in the future and are unable to fulfill there eventual dreams and goals.

The reservations for the people of the SC, ST and OBC category have made it so difficult for students to secure admissions that even after the fifth cut off in Delhi University, many students are doing courses that they don’t enjoy, while on the other hand, there is a 7th cut off for the socially backward candidates. What I am trying to say is that students should be given admission based on their merit. Many a times it so happens that a student who scores a 90% does not get a seat in a reputed college because his seat is not reserved and instead of this student, another student who has scored an 80% and has the benefit of reservation gets the seat. This makes me wonder what the need is of putting in so much effort if even after working hard one does not get into a college of ones choice.

The recent cases of fake certificates in Delhi University demonstrates the desperation of people trying to get admission into a reputed college. The case of a student scoring 94% and getting a fake certificate is definitely an eye opener .

What I am trying to say is that reservation should be done but in a fair and just manner and certain other minimum criteria should exist for the selection process. If one is unable to fulfill such criteria then the seat should go to a more deserving candidate. The recent ruling by the high court as to not convert the OBC seat for the general category is unjustified since even by the end of the 7th cut off more than 1000 seats are lying vacant in Delhi University. If these people are unable to get these seats even after such low cut offs, it speaks of their incapability of getting marks and securing legitimate seats. Instead of reserving seats for them in such high institutions the government should work at the grass root level to provide them with proper basic education so that they are able to outshine other candidates and prove their merit even if seat are reserved for them and cut offs are lowered. One must remember that to deserve these seats one has to work hard and if this still is not possible, then the government must think about reserving seats for students from the general category as well.

Pallavi Bajpai

I totally agree with you Ritika! This article expresses the tribulations that we ‘general’ ones face in the run. I myself is an admission seeker at the Delhi University this year and just because of this unjust system of reservation,i failed to secure a seat at the Hindu College,as the cut offs there had been exceptionally high for the General Category.
Your article is an eye-opener for the system makers & needs nationwide highlight.