Jute Industry In India: Slowly Gaining Momentum

Posted on June 14, 2012 in Biz and Eco

By Pallavi Dani:

India has a rich culture of arts and crafts that has evolved through the centuries into a flourishing trade. One of the oldest industries that has gained a lot of attention and popularity in recent years marked by rising awareness on global warming is the jute industry. The advent of jute production and export on a large scale started during the British rule with the setting up of the first jute mill in West Bengal. From then on, the industry has grown to a commendable size comprising of 76 jute mills mostly concentrated in West Bengal with a few in Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Odisha, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Tripura and Chhattisgarh.

The Indian Jute Industry today, accounts for a turnover of Rs. 6500 crore annually, contributing to exports to the tune of nearly Rs. 1000 crore and alone provides direct employment to approximately 0.26 million people, while about 4 million people are associated indirectly to the industry.

The excessive use of plastics in the Indian market stalled the demand for jute for some time but it is back on track with the growing consciousness towards the environment in recent years. Jute has been reinvented from its traditional avatar of being used in making sacks for storing grains in the agriculture sector to making stylish accessories for home décor and personal use. Jute is no more just the rough golden fabric we are so familiar with. With the utilisation of advanced technology, very fine quality and soft jute is being produced, which is being used in t-shirts and hand bags. Other jute products that are finding market in the domestic as well as global landscapes are wall hangings, baskets, upholsteries, bags, rags, carpets, hangings, footwear, coasters, jewellery, show pieces, etc.

Though there is a rising demand for jute products globally, its supply management is still in the nascent stage in India with the producers following the traditional methods of manufacturing and distribution despite a highly competitive global market. Jute industry in India has emerged as a huge, decentralised and unorganised industry which is one of the major challenges in the path of its growth.

Costly products and high export prices poses a threat to the Indian jute industry from the neighbouring jute producing countries. The government of India has recognised the huge potential and contribution of jute industry to the overall economic development of the country and has introduced many policies and schemes to promote and help its advancement. Workshops and fairs are organised across the country to showcase the ingenuity and skills of jute artisans and develop a market for their products. The evolution of jute industry in the current scenario is only possible with the introduction of proper management and marketing strategies to support the rich and diverse craft. This eco-friendly and highly sustainable fibre will not only help the economy but also give us an alternative to environmentally harmful materials such as plastics.

YouthKiAwaaz.com is an award winning, India's largest online and mobile platform for young people to express themselves on issues of critical importance. This article has been written by a Youth Ki Awaaz Journalist/Contributor. You can submit a contribution too. Click here to write for Youth Ki Awaaz, or submit a photo or video.

sonakshi madan

Despite its fortune on decline, jute is an emerging niche market with plenty of opportunities for growth.
Twenty-first century witnessed a new resurgent and resolute Indian industry in terms of volume as well as in quality.
For the successful revamp of Indian Jute Industry, a turnaround strategy is the need of the hour.

sonakshi madan

Reasons why jute industry should be given more preference in India?
(i) Jute is a labour intensive industry, which engages 4.35 million people.(ii) Jute industry has lot of potential of providing employment especially in East Indian region. (iii) Jute is an eco-friendly and biodegradable product. With the pressure from green movement, it is going to sustain through consumer’s preference.

sonakshi madan

Reasons why jute industry should be given more preference?
(i) Jute is a labour intensive industry, which engages 4.35 million people.
(ii) Jute industry has lot of potential of providing employment especially in East Indian region.
(iii) Jute is an eco-friendly and biodegradable product. With the pressure from green movement, it is going to sustain through consumer’s preference.

pallavi

Thank you for sharing your views with us sonakshi..