The “C” Word That Can Land You In Jail- Be Careful When You Say It

Posted on June 8, 2012 in Society

By Anila Kurian:

With the disturbing discrimination that the North-Easterners face in India, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) finally decides to send a letter across the country asking them to arrest the guilty from the region under the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes Act. As far as the law goes, anyone who calls a North-Easterner ‘chinki’ can be arrested and put into jail for five years without bail. If the officer in charge does not act on this, he could also be imprisoned for six months to one year.

Even though Dr. Manmohan Singh and P. Chidambaram have tried their best to set aside the racial discrimination, the issue has been brought up again due to the crucial situation that the North-Easterners face. Just because their facial features aren’t similar to the rest of the Indians, does not mean that they are not part of our country. They are as Indian as we all are.

Majority of the population in our country is below the age of 35 and out of that majority, many of the North-Easterners come down to the urban parts of the country to build up their careers. It’s sad to know that they are put down just because of their features. They are often known as the people who eat dogs and just let down by trademarking them ‘chinkis’. Doesn’t it kill you for hurting one’s confidence just because they don’t look like you?

The big ‘C’ word to be banned is a great movement because they don’t like to called so. It’s just as same when a South Indian is called ‘Madrasi’ or when thought of Gujurati, he or she’s a laughing stalk or even a guy wearing the turban gives him the chance to be mocked at with Sardar jokes. Everyone has their weak spots and it’s time that the North-Easterners stood up to stop the discrimination against them. They have as much as equal rights as the rest of us do.

So next time you think of calling a North-Easterner ‘Chinki’, think thrice.

YouthKiAwaaz.com is an award winning, India's largest online and mobile platform for young people to express themselves on issues of critical importance. This article has been written by a Youth Ki Awaaz Journalist/Contributor. You can submit a contribution too. Click here to write for Youth Ki Awaaz, or submit a photo or video.