The Reality of Reality Television

Posted on June 5, 2012 in Media and Culture

By Arshiya Mediratta:

“According to Medical Procedure News, reality television is attributing to cosmetic surgery procedures with more than 9.2 million procedures performed as a result of people watching these shows.”

That is how strongly this form of television is impacting its audience. Be it Bigg Boss, Roadies, Splitsvilla, Super Stud, or Rakhi Ka Swayamvar- reality television has made comeback. After decades and decades of saas-bahu soaps, reality television has taken over audiences of all ages alike and it seems it is here to stay.

Most of these shows are survival-based. Their competitive spirit in comparison to the complacent approach of other sitcoms is what makes them distinctive and more relatable. There is a passive adrenaline rush that keeps the interest in the show alive. Social media has given an opportunity to “real” people to speak their mind. Whether it is watching a popular film actress living in ordinary household conditions without makeup, or a bunch of real life boys trying to woo an unyielding lass, it is all carefully amalgamated to keep the appetite of the viewers whetted steadily.

Indian Reality TV knows exactly what it’s doing. The makers know what tickles the mind of us viewers. A little family cry, added with mild swearing and a dash of performing tasks in order to prove one’s self is what makes a good reality show. Even though different concepts are presented in various shows, inherently all of them are working in the same direction as they place celebrities and ordinary people in real-life situations and allow others to take pleasure in the excitement of watching them. The participatory factor is a massive reason for the success of reality television- talent hunt shows and quiz competitions are a thriving example of that.

Apart from the golden limelight, it is clearly visible that reality television offers equal opportunities to all kinds of talents and passions- however obscure.  In spite of all the speculation behind the genuine nature of reality television, the convenient editing of footage and the impact of these shows on Indian culture in general- one cannot deny the positive impact it has grown to have for the millions around the country with the big Bollywood dream for money and recognition.

Image

sonakshi madan

In the current scenario where TRP counts the most, production houses adopt certain marketing weapons to attract wider audience.

Anila Kurian

It’s true that the platform reality television gives to someone who wants to aspire something a place to stand on, but honestly, at the end of the day, it’s just business. How much ever drama they can cause, they will cause viewers like the drama better than the actual show.