What was Manu Joseph”s article all about? – An Analysis [Part 2 of A Fresh Wave of Thinking in The Kashmir Valley]

Posted on June 3, 2012 in Exclusive, Specials

By Karmanye Thadani:

Manu Joseph started his article by throwing light on the attack on Prashant Bhushan and how the people of the valley were awaiting Anna Hazare’s response, since Anna had suggested a referendum across India on the question of a Lokpal Bill and so, he may perhaps back the idea of fulfilling Jawaharlal Nehru’s promise backed by UN resolutions (though Anna Hazare, like any other regular former truck driver of the Indian Army, went on to assert that Kashmir is an integral part of India). This clearly means that Manu Joseph’s writing has not been motivated by any devious agenda that would distort the picture of the prevailing basic anti-India and pro-freedom sentiment in the valley (as has unfortunately been the case with several other Indian writers exhibiting jingoistic nationalism). Having made this clear, he further goes on to elaborate that Kashmiris are happy with the calm prevailing in the valley, with people going to work and earning a livelihood. He points to the following incident —

“About sixty kilometres from Srinagar, in a crowded village hall on the slope of a hill, a meeting is underway. The district magistrate, who had arrived in a car that was followed by a battered ambulance and will leave the same way, is addressing a gathering of newly elected village leaders (there was a voter turnout of nearly 90 per cent in local elections held last year). The gathering is mostly male but there are about ten women in the back rows. The women are among the elected leaders, all of them for the first time, and they listen carefully as the district magistrate tells them how governance works. There are questions and complaints and occasional laughter.

When I arrived, the district magistrate, for my benefit, started talking in English and Hindi. He even started using words like ‘chauvinistic’ to describe the men who had made the women take the back rows. His audience quickly instructed him to speak in Kashmiri. They were not here to be part of a farce; they were here to know the way forward. They want to know, very simply, the economic consequences of peace. They wanted roads and electricity and schools and hospitals.

At the end of the meeting, which lasted over two hours, the district magistrate told me, ‘There was not a word about politics. Not a word about the Indian Army or Pakistan or anything. They want to talk about things that matter to them and their families’.”

Manu further talks of that the District Magistrate’s deputy being Shah Faesal, a Kashmiri Muslim doctor who had secured the first rank in the UPSC exam in 2010, and how Shah Faesal asserts, like some others, that moving on with life is the best way forward, rather than carrying the baggage of history and crying over spilt milk. Manu also recounts another incident about a young Kashmiri Muslim boy-

“He and his close friend take me to Café Coffee Day, which is filled with young people. Both the men work for Aircel. They say what many educated young people in Kashmir say– Can we move on? Can we have development first instead of waiting forever for the Kashmir issue to be solved? We want industries to come here, we want MNCs and malls. We want to watch a cricket match in Srinagar. ‘We want KFC,’ one of them says, and they burst out laughing.”

It is this that Manu Joseph highlights in his article, that political aspirations for self-determination have long taken a toll on the Kashmiri populace. It’s not like the average Kashmiri Muslim has turned into an Indophile, but that he prefers a life of peace and normalcy over that of turmoil and conflict. This isn’t something hard to believe. But then, why so much of an uproar over this piece? Who are those elements that are strongly averse to any talk of peace prevailing in the valley or Kashmiri Muslims not wanting to recall the days of the militancy of the late 1980s and early 1990s, trying to seek vengeance by shouting slogans of azadi even in a calm atmosphere, rather than doing their work and fetching a good income for their families? It is this question that needs to be answered. Manu Joseph, I am sure, would have pre-empted an outcry over his article from certain quarters, for in this very article, he has written about the Kashmiri Muslim elite, who seldom has to bear the brunt of resistance and who very often has a second home elsewhere in India or even overseas, say in New York, London or Dubai.

Now, as compared to the period of unrest in 2008 or more importantly, 2010, stone-pelting has become a rare occurrence and we see the resistance to ‘Indian occupation’ in very different forms, such as of a Kashmiri Muslim rapper sporting a hood, ‘MC Kash’, singing songs telling us, Indians (mind you, not the Indian ruling class or the Indian jawans in particular, but Indians in general, except perhaps those who express solidarity with the Kashmiri separatist cause, and the lyrics of the song make that very clear), that he doesn’t care if we live or die (as if we really depended on his blessings for our survival!) and in these songs, he uses swear-words and also respectfully invokes the names of the prophets of his faith, though a true Muslim would always suffix the name of a prophet with ‘peace be upon him’ and never dream of taking the name of any of Allah’s messengers in a composition full of swear words! Kash also refers to human rights violations in Palestine in his songs, and of course, the misery of the Tibetans, Balochs in Pakistan (so what if the Balochs are mostly Muslims, even their oppressors are, and so, this isn’t an example worth quoting!), Sri Lankan Tamils (except in the context of the Indian military intervention in Sri Lanka) and Catholics of Northern Ireland would never find a mention in this newly developed supposedly progressive and secular discourse on Kashmir (there’s more to come on this later in this piece), and Palestine, the place from where terrorism under the banner of Islam but actually antithetical to the letter and spirit of this great and noble religion, underwent a resurgence in the modern era after being long buried in the depths of history with the Hashishi movement of the Ismaili sect of Shi’ite Islam at the time of the Crusades (of course, the present-day adherents of the sect must not be judged by what some of  their forefathers in one part of the world did centuries ago, and today, most Islamist terrorists come from the Wahabi and Deobandi sects of Sunni Islam, though of course, even the adherents of these sects shouldn’t all be painted with the same brush) coming to an end, must find a mention for an analogy, though having said that,  I must point out that I do condemn the creation of Israel (though this does not, in any way, translate into any sense of hatred for the Israeli populace, just like my opposition to the creation of Pakistan doesn’t make me hate the Pakistani populace) and of course, acts of terrorism carried out by some Zionist groups. Manu Joseph writes about such people-

“Kashmir’s intellectual elite, which includes writers, melancholy poets, artists, Facebook revolutionaries, filmmakers and at least one rapper who owns a hood, have since resumed what Kashmir’s elite has always done.

Trauma in Kashmir is like a heritage building–the elite fight to preserve it. ‘Don’t forget,’ is their predominant message, ‘Don’t forget to be traumatised.’ They want the wound of Kashmir to endure because the wound is what indicts India for the many atrocities of its military. This might be a long period of calm, but if the wound vanishes, where is the justice? India simply gets away with all those rapes, murders and disappearances? So nothing disgusts them more than these words: ‘Normalcy returns to Kashmir’; ‘Peace returns to the Valley’; ‘Kashmiris want to move on’.

Yet, all this is true. And for the regular people of Kashmir, who do not have second homes in North America, Europe, Dubai or Delhi, who have no choice but to continue living in Kashmir, this reality is not so disgusting.”

Manu Joseph has remarkably articulated in this very piece-

The non-resident patriotic Indian, who adores Narendra Modi, and the non-resident patriotic Kashmiri are adversaries in the vacuous space of social media. But they have much in common. From the comfort of distance, they financially and emotionally support ideologies whose consequence they don’t have to face. They are not just a nuisance. As a collective they are dangerous.”

He substantiates with the following example-

“That is why, in the genocide of impoverished Tamil civilians in Sri Lanka by that country’s army, the affluent non-resident Tamils living in Europe, who supported the LTTE through money and love, are very much complicit.”

I won’t assertively comment on Mr. Modi’s alleged complicity in the 2002 Gujarat riots, which were indeed a matter of shame for India on this public forum so long as the matter is sub judice, being a lawyer by qualification, but yes, I would assert that Hindus living overseas pooling in funds for fascist organizations like the VHP, sections of which went about slaughtering innocent fellow citizens in Gujarat in 2002, didn’t have to face the consequences in the form of the attack on the Akshardham temple in Gandhinagar in 2002 itself or the emergence of a well-organized home-grown Islamist terror factory out to avenge the Gujarat carnage, that showed its colours in the serial blasts across different Indian cities in 2008, Ahmedabad being among the worst hit. Likewise, the Tamils in India and Europe funding the LTTE didn’t have to face the brutality of the Sri Lankan Army, over which the UNHRC has passed a resolution condemning the same. And, these non-resident Kashmiris leading comfortable lives writing online articles provoking their compatriots to take on the Indian ‘military occupation’ by pelting stones at Indian soldiers don’t have to bear bullets.

best blogging site

Creating interesting, readable posts will
help drivfe more traffic to your blog. Update Consistently Estalish
a realistic schedule for updating your site and try to maintain it
so that readers know what to expect. You will ind a gold mine of info in the more than 100 videos,
documents annd information in the member area.
Like I said they are very strict and I do not recommend them at all.
Some great promotion is by getting yourself interviewed or profiledd on other webssites or even newspapers or magazines.
Find Your Speciakty To earn the interest of repeat readers, make your blog
vital by filling a niche that nobody else has filled.
Increasing your page rank goes right along witfh this.

Fred continued, and I agree with him.

The one I recommend the most is WordPress due to its limitless customizatin options and the fact that itt is also very user friendly.
Others use blogs to convey information, or delineate a personal or
political agenda. Running a blog, is one of the easiest websites to run for any individual.
Thus, blogs are rostrums that allow people to write, publish and distribute their
opinions, thoughts and feelings on various subjects, via the Internet.

Many people who make posts to a blog on a regular basis are referred to as bloggers.

In the end, blog popularity is mucch like high school popularity.
Which means youu have to also budget inn time to read, read,
read and read some more.

Though originally the word was coined to implly ‘Web Log’, over the years there are many more acronyms
that the term has been associated with.
Thhis is also a big part of networking. Alsoconsider the depth oof your blogging and hoow
much you might ant tocustomize on your blog.
This kind of networking will do wonders for your traffic.
But, good blog designing is also a major importance to the success of your blog.

Forr instance, if certain posts need tto bbe of a length that is
slightly on the longer side, employ techniques like inserting colorful images between paragraphs in order to break the visual
moknotony off words. Currently, Jack Humphrey is offering a 60-day trial
period.

Consistent updatrs are a gdeat way to climb ssearch engine rankings, but they’re an evsn better way
to encourage repeat readers. So my goal is ttoo keeep doing what I’m being led to do and
skyrocket that number byy following the edict to…
Thatfs how you get website traffic. And it’s a free way
too get your blog noticed by people interested in your topic.
One of those criteria iis that your Blog must be a minimum of at least 3 month old and have a steady and plentiful Readership.
Simultaneously, check out other travel blogs.

Onne off the most important aspects of marketing your blog
is making sure yoou take as many steps as yyou can to become perceived as ann expert.
I might ddo that in the future ffor a specific purpose I’m thinking of.

By sally : A how to tutlrial about blkog optimization, keywords research, blog promotion, Blogging with
step by step guide from sally. They may then become a loyal reader of
yours orr at least monitor you andd if you are lucky some time down the rosd they may do a
post linking to your blog bringing in more new
readers. I have spent a lot of money and had very little income from these systems these
years. I get most of my traffic from being on 3 pages of Google.
There aree definitely other advantages of a blog, but these
are the main ones I came upp with. Before you submjit to
a carnival, make sure your post figs with tthe theme.
Many news outlets alkso consult with or hire
bloggers to provide moment-to-moment commentary and news in the areas that they cover.
You can also offer affiliste products or sell ebooks or other information.

If you are going to be blogging for money hhow do you
intend to moneize your site or even generate
traffic since you will need a steady flow of visiitors to your site.

Thiss not only leads to two-way interaction between you and the reader, but also makes them realize that you really appreciate their participation. It is meant for one-time
deal. I also think part of his appeal is the admiration people have for his confidence and tenacity.
Choosing to start a blog and make money will
only lead you to start your blog in such a way that you will only write because you want to maske money, so
when you don’t make money, chances are yyou will quit blogging vdry soon. It may bee impossible to answer every question personally, so wwhy not look aat qusstions that are really good or have een asked frequently
and make those questions thhe topic of your next bloog
post? To blog now came to mean to create oor edit your web
log. The look of your blog will bbe remembered more than your wtiting more
often than not.

I really like the community that bblogging brings. Content is still
the most important, the King With my lack of
any coding knowledge at that time, my only
way of being unique among other bloggwrs in my niche
was through my content. No one wants the information that would be easily available onn other accounts as well.
Another tip you want to consider – links.
Correction, onee you know a lot about. Butt when yoou are asked how
do you blog you may have to fumble to find the answer. These are minor things if you look aat them casually.

Dana: You can fill a private journal with whatever you want and don’t have to worry about
how it lookss when it comes back to you via
feedback. In order to choose appropriate keywords for your blog,
you should do some keywordd research. Keep in miknd that
once you have spend eough time, mney and effort andd it has turned
into an actuawl Business, then the answwer would slightly change,
or would it? It’s just another way to gett more exposure
on tthe sitefor who yoou are and what you do. For the relatively new companies,
business blogs can play a tremendous role in reasching out to the potential clients.
Obviously the mohey is nice. A few examples of artistys I have covered: Son House, Thelonious Monk, Them, Anthony Hamilton, Charlie Musselwhite, Matisyahu.
But was their input really helpful to her?

In my own opinion, blogging is great to do if you are
blogging about something fun, something entertaining. Plus, there are some popular boogs that are currently worth hundreds of thousands
of dollars! You see, two posts, both containing the same
information, but clearly geared toward my target
audience without thuem having to read things that may not be oof interest.

To Persuade This would typically be a business blog where the motive is to eazrn an income, which
is a very strong motive indeed! Audiobblog or podcast readings and interviews.
This is the key to your success if you realky want to attraqct customers.

Here is my page … best blogging site