Baba Ramdev And Politics: Has Baba Swayed Away From The Yog Path

Posted on July 25, 2012 in Politics at Play, Society

By Ashna Mishra:

Baba Ramdev — a man who grasped the nation’s attention as the one possessing miraculous yoga powers , as the one who came to be known as Aastha channel’s wake-up call – has gradually transformed into an anti-corruption activist. Not only has the low-income man risen economically and popularity-wise but has also shifted his core activity from yog to social activism. This shift in the core activity raises questions in the inquisitive part of my brains.

Coming straight to the point, I, like many others, am strongly against Baba’s involvement in the Indian politics. India Today’s headlines on 17 July 2012 read — “Baba Ramdev might enter active politics” — further announcing that the final decision would be based upon the success of the agitation scheduled in August. On the contrary, four days later, the news flashes that the saffron-clad warrior would never contest elections. However, this is not the first time that questions have risen on his future involvement in active politics. Rather, this is actually a question on various minds for more than a year now.

Moreover, where on one hand we cannot tend to be oblivious to Ramdev’s Hindutva culturalism, on the other hand his support for the “reservation for the Christian and Muslim Dalits” shows the communal angle attached to his policy. He just seems to win the favour of the weaker sections of the society so as to broaden his area of popularity. The sudden rise of Swami Ramdev on the contemporary public life and the subsequent rise in popularity coupled with the involvement in political issues (yes, you have read it right! The problem of corruption and the crusade against black money is not just a social issue but a deep-rooted political issue) have raised even more questions.

There is never an answer to ‘whom does Baba Ramdev represent?’ and thus the problem of representation continues further making it appear more like an on-stage political drama. Apart from this, I feel he is taking an unfair advantage of the sentiments of the people (basically his followers) attached to him. For instance, take Amitabh Bachchan or Shahrukh Khan contesting and winning election. It would be more due to the people’s interest in them as against their actual credibility on the political scene.

In the end, all I would say is, ‘when you’re not sincere to the cause, stick to what you’re actually meant to do’.

YouthKiAwaaz.com is an award winning, India's largest online and mobile platform for young people to express themselves on issues of critical importance. This article has been written by a Youth Ki Awaaz Journalist/Contributor. You can submit a contribution too. Click here to write for Youth Ki Awaaz, or submit a photo or video.

Anuj Kumar

I strongly agree with this Ashna, i don’t know what this man really what if you really need to do something big then do in your area of expertise i.e, Yoga and Ayurveda & these things doesn’t makes any sense with Politics or fighting against Laws of India. If Kiran Bedi doing her fight against the corruption that matters as she got relevant skills but Mr.Ramdev please………..get back to work you even can’t able to face the Indian Congress earlier when u did Anshan, u don’t have sufficient guts to face Mr. Kapil Sibbal, P.Chidambaram n others….

Sameer Panje

I totally disagree with the basic premise of the piece. Had that been the case, we should also have questioned why Steve Jobs didn’t stick to being a wandering hippie or why Rajnikant didn’t stick to being a bus conductor.

A democracy allows all citizens the freedom to participate in the democracy by contesting elections. Why should Ramdev be denied that freedom? If you don’t agree with what he stands for (for the record, neither do I), don’t vote for him. As simple as that.