Review: Making Breakthrough Innovation Happen

Posted on July 21, 2012

By Babita Balan:

Apple, Google, Microsoft what is common between them? They are world’s breakthrough innovative companies. But can you think of an Indian company?

Making Breakthrough Innovation Happen written by Porus Munshi is a book that unravels the mystery of some of the known and unknown Indian companies that have carved a niche for themselves not just in their respective domain but in the world through their path breaking innovations.

This book is a culmination of a six-year joint discovery effort of Erehwon Innovation Consulting and the Marico Innovation Foundation.

Porus Munshi is a partner consultant at Erehwon Innovation Consulting a company dedicated to fuelling innovation in India. He was earlier a columnist for the Hindu Business line.

This book is not academic in style or content. The book gives inside story of eleven Indian companies across industries and domains. Comments from the individuals and organizations that have made orbit-shifting innovation happen are quoted in this book.

The thinking minds behind these innovations speak about their journey to success. These companies not only belong from private sectors but also public and social sectors. From the corporate sector there are Dainik Bhaskar, ITC-IBD, Shantha Biotech, Titan, Bosch, Chola Vehicle Finance, Su-Kam and CavinKare. From the public service sector there is the makeover of Surat City and the transformation of the police force at Trichy. From the social sector there is Aravind Eye Hospital.

The book gives an inside perspective. It is a book that talks of success and ensures readers learn from exceptions. It emphasis the fact that success is not a destination but a journey. It is all about the challenges faced by real people and how they triumphed over them.

There are blurbs in the books that reflect on what these organizations did differently and how you can replicate in your organizations. A must read for students, young entrepreneurs and many start-up companies as well as existing companies who want to reach new heights.