The Dilemma With Indian Universities: Higher Cut Off Sending Students Abroad

Posted on July 2, 2012 in Learning+

By Smriti Rana:

With the dawn of a new university session, many feelings are prevalent amongst prospective students. There is excitement of course, but fear and anxiety by far overshadow it. The admission criteria even for perfectly mediocre colleges in DU, especially, are quite absurd. So getting into Hans Raj or St. Stephens, is more or less something that a student only with a cent percent can even begin to consider. With the cut offs rising outrageously every year, more and more people are pursuing post-secondary education abroad.

Even before completing high school, most students accept the fact that there is a fifty percent chance of not getting into DU even with a 90% in the Boards and if education is to be sought from a prestigious place, it is only possible outside India. An increasing number of Indian students, after being denied admission here, end up with scholarships in universities like Yale, Cambridge or Harvard. There are at least 40% students whose first preference has changed to getting admission in foreign universities; many don’t even applying closer home.

This is something to consider. How are students, deemed inadequate to attend good colleges here, accepted in Ivy Leagues? Their alumni do not seem to be underachieving when compared to ours. So what is it then? Why is it so hard to secure a place in a prestigious university in Delhi? By being so harsh to students seeking admission, the country loses many brilliant people and future assets. It needs to be remembered that the first year of independence of students, while being a euphoric feeling in itself, can be very daunting also and so the need to be considerate is particularly important. In the current educational scenario, not getting admission into any university is a very real concern.

But that’s really not how it should be. The cut offs should be more practical, the pressure on students reduced. This new chapter in their lives should be more about happiness and excitement than terror. With rising rates of suicide in the country, more than 20% because of pressure related to education, new questions arise. Students visit new colleges daily with hopes of making the cut and check every day for the new cut off lists. The whole process of applying for colleges in India has become more troublesome than it’s worth. With foreign admissions being much more organized and easier to undertake, there is a massive shift taking place with a drastic rise in the number of international students in foreign universities. The time has come to get rid of these problems that are fast becoming too hard to control. HRD needs to take responsibility to salvage the situation. All there’s left as of now is just to wish luck to the students starting a new year.