Wake Up Call: After Lives Lost At The Manesar Plant

Posted on July 27, 2012 in Society

By Shruti Sonal:

The events that have occured over the past few days have shaken me, stirred me and crushed my belief in the phrase that “Everything happens for a reason.” For, there can be no reason for mercilessly torturing and killing a man. I’d compare the killer to brutal animals, but I’m sure even if they have a bigger heart.

Most of you must have read the newspapers and must have come across articles about the Maruti GM(HR) being killed and several other executives being injured by ruthless union workers at the Manesar plant. Yet, a very few of you might remember the name of the HR who died. Afterall, you have bigger things to worry about.

But I, I remember it all too well. I will remember it for a very long time to come. In the “unfortunate and tragic accident” as the Industry and Commerce Minister, Mr. Anand Sharma put it, my friend lost his father. This well-planned “accident” uprooted a family that I know. This accident has traumatized us all and yet, unfortunately I know it will be forgotten. The rare TV footage and newspaper clippings will be replaced by comedy shows and movie reviews. Tweets will be posted, Facebook statuses will be updated and forgotten. The youth will curse themselves for being born in India, where a crowd of on-lookers watch as 12 men molest a girl; where the profits of a company matter more than a person’s life; where ministers like Narendra Modi use sensitive issues like this to jump in and suggest the opening of a plant in his very own Gujarat.

The youth will curse, crib and then join the crowd of the very same on-lookers. It’s funny how we’re almost too easily getting used to repeated terrorist attacks, corruption in every area of life and all the other problems. No, we cannot blame it on being born in India where “things will never change” anymore. This is not what India has made of us, this is what we have made of India. Everyone can see the dirt, it’s time to get up and clean it.

Who knows, next time it might be your friend’s life being turned upside down or your very own.

YouthKiAwaaz.com is an award winning, India's largest online and mobile platform for young people to express themselves on issues of critical importance. This article has been written by a Youth Ki Awaaz Journalist/Contributor. You can submit a contribution too. Click here to write for Youth Ki Awaaz, or submit a photo or video.

Sruthi Jayakumar Supriya

If this is the youth ki real awaaz, we are doomed. Makes me sooo irritated that I amnot even going to comment about it. Except that the writer should probably read a bit more than the page 3 of TOI.

Amreeta

Yes u r definitely right…..mayb too much negativity nd pre conceived notions about da final death of change in india accelerates the process degradation…bt can u suggest me 1 constructive way…practical nd logical…by which u can stop more twelve men from molesting a girl………bcoz when i’m out on the road wid a skirt on……i realy cnt ignore the nasty ogling which goes on….hw cn i change those looks….

Reema

Thanks Shruti, 100% agree with you.