Right To Equality: Does It Really Exist In India?

Posted on August 1, 2012 in Education and Careers, Politics at Play

By Ashootosh:

Today, I was going through my Facebook page and there was one link showing new job opportunities in Intelligence Bureau or IB, a very crucial organization of India and trying to protect its citizens from various threats. I did not pay much attention to it in the beginning, not being eligible for this exam, as I was a month older than the required criteria. But then I saw something which really shook me. Out of 750 total seats there were just 80 seats for the general category. Is it really fair to give almost 90% of seats to people who deserve it less than others?

Is it really fair to give a position to a 32-year-old man who scored 50% marks in the exam rather than someone who is 27-years-old and with 80% marks? “Right to Equality“? Does this really exist? The only thing which is dividing people or discriminating them on the basis of caste system is actually the constitution of India and the politicians.

I passed class 10th with 79% marks and went to take admission in a reputed government college along with my father. In the queue there was a guy in front of me who had 47% marks. The cut-off for that particular college was declared to be 83%. I was disappointed not because I could not get the admission but because the student who scored 32% less than me got admission in the very same college. That was the day I got to know what his caste was. Otherwise he was just a smiling stranger to me. It is this caste based reservation system which is dividing this nation. Jai Hind.

YouthKiAwaaz.com is an award winning, India's largest online and mobile platform for young people to express themselves on issues of critical importance. This article has been written by a Youth Ki Awaaz Journalist/Contributor. You can submit a contribution too. Click here to write for Youth Ki Awaaz, or submit a photo or video.

Tanay Sukumar

Yes, reservation can be a menace in urban areas where cosmopolitan attitudes are flourishing. But, talking on a national level, first end caste based discrimination in every part of the country. I think we should not criticise the medicine and ignore the disease. Reservations are needed (1) in education to bring lower caste students at par with the main stream, and (2) in government services to ensure equality by protecting the lower castes from discrimination.
Here’s why:
In education, you need everyone to participate for a good country. The children who belong to the backward castes need to be made a part of that process, even if they are not the best at merit. Yes, it does end up as a disadvantage to meritorious students of the general category. But it gives a chance to bring people to a common educational platform where they can be equal.
In government services, there exists a huge chance of discrimination against individuals due to their caste, which can hamper their growth at workplace. Having reservations for them can give them a chance to avoid becoming a victim of this. When they reach a good position, they also inspire their other community members.

Meanwhile, well-to-do lower caste families in urban areas where discrimination has reduced to a low, should shun using reservation to their benefits. This can be a phased escape from the discrimination + reservation phenomenon. We have to solve discrimination as a society, and if some meritorious students have to suffer despite deserving success, then let it be. We have not been clean in history, and we have taken so much time to obliterate caste. If our ancestors were foolish, let us also be foolish for some more time, and move only when we are equal in true respect. So, we as the general category youth should not protest against reservation blindly; let’s first look into what goes on against the lower castes in totality, before forming an opinion against reservations. Let’s look at the society and the whole of India, not our own individual merit.
For all I say, I belong to the General category.

Shubham

My friend,this is extremely unfair.I too have experienced it.The interesting thing is…… ancestors of some reserved categories have actually ruled india in the past.

Anyways in democratic india, reservation will never end even if the reserved category become prosporous than gen. category……….Its denial to expect that reservation will end once the reserved category become prosporous.