The Immortality Potion: Do We Need It?

Posted on August 10, 2012 in Sci- Tech, Society

By S.Nivedya:

Jackie Chan gets a head start but the villains are in hot pursuit because he always has something they really need. Right now he has with him the goblet of eternal life. Whoever drinks from it stays young forever. Obviously the good triumphs over evil and so Jackie Chan saves the day and restores the goblet to its rightful place. In similar fiction tales we see the source of immortality being destroyed or returned to a place unreachable by human hands.

Man is a confused creature. His rights and wrongs are judged relatively. So giving a confused being the power of immortality is like playing a game of Russian roulette. Stories of immortality date back to Hindu Mythology. The devas, the clear-headed powerful gods consume ‘Amruth‘ or potion of immortality and live for eternity, destroying evil and spreading goodwill among the people of earth.

Since all is taken care of by them, why should man meddle with the laws of nature? There are enough bio-technologists in this world already. The last thing we need going around is immortality and if it gets into the hands of the Government, we’re done for life!

But then again, there are some of us who just can’t take the fact that we are growing older day by day, that sense of dissatisfaction; so many unfinished businesses, unlived dreams, unwritten stories left pending and we see the seconds tick past us, the tide moving away and before you know it, the greying hair, the aging skin, the adding fat, the falling teeth… while you are caught between the things you have to do and the things you always wanted to do thinking to yourself-“if only I could turn back time“.

The sad thing is, we can’t, but the truth of the matter is, the passage of time is beautiful. The secret to immortality is being young in spirit. Don’t we all know that? Laugh a lot, share, make mistakes, blog about it and whatever you do, never let go of the dreams you had as a child!

YouthKiAwaaz.com is an award winning, India's largest online and mobile platform for young people to express themselves on issues of critical importance. This article has been written by a Youth Ki Awaaz Journalist/Contributor. You can submit a contribution too. Click here to write for Youth Ki Awaaz, or submit a photo or video.