Classic ’90s Cartoons Replaced By Violent Kids Running Around: The Change In Mentality

Posted on September 12, 2012 in Specials

By Anila Kurian:

It’s 2012. Looking back, it makes me feel very old. Well, compared to the young generation, I am old. But, what do these new generation people have to look back and go ‘Ah, this is just the best times ever!’? True that everything around us has developed and things are much, much easier now; but are all these developments keeping us truly happy? Is this really life? Everyone’s just busy with their own work and no one really has time to just sit back and relax. The world is running at a very fast pace and there’s no turning back. It might seem fun at THAT moment, but let’s admit it, it’s hectic.

I was looking through some YouTube videos and realized that the cartoons back in the ‘90s were the best! There were so many good ones that the present generation doesn’t get to see it at all-except Tom and Jerry but that kind of sucks too now! I remember growing up watching the classic Tom and Jerry, The Flinstones, Jetsons, Captain Planet, Heidi, Scooby Doo, He-Man, Spongebob, Speed Racer and the list goes on. They were literally the best cartoons ever made! The cartoons that air on TV now have a hell lot of violence and senseless stuff, and then you expect your child not beat up another kid at school or want a gun. I blame the parents for letting the kids watch these kinds of cartoons. They should have enough sense to make the kids watch the classics, like the ones we used to watch. Honestly, what are torrents for!

It’s not even the world of cartoons anymore. People are extremely busy with something or the other. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, but when do you get a break out of all this?? The kids are pressurized to be successful the day they’re born. He’s expected to get straight A’s throughout his life. Come on dude, there are other letters of the alphabets too! There’s no harm in getting a D or an F once in a while. In fact, I believe that it’s healthy to face a few failures in life. By the time he passes out of 7th grade, he has to start deciding a strategy to pass his 10th, and then his 12th. Meanwhile, he’s doing a part time job so that he can have some extra cash. Then college, which is pretty hectic if you ask me! It starts with college work, extracurricular activities, going out with friends, being broke all the time, killing yourselves for good internships, and then finally a job. And it just gets worse…

Where are we running to? Being successful in life shouldn’t be our only aim. Not saying it’s bad, but I say you should just have fun while you’re at it. We survived through the ‘90s not having all the facilities of 2012; I say we can still do it. It doesn’t matter if you’re broke, just go out and don’t spend money. It doesn’t matter if you don’t get straight A’s all your life, don’t make the other alphabets feel useless. It doesn’t matter if you don’t have the coolest gadgets like your friends, I’m sure the stuff you have can do awesome things as well. Long story short, the ‘90s were the good old times, but if we could survive all of that poor technology/facility, 2012 should be a piece of cake!

P.S. One advice to the parents or elderly, make your kids watch the classic cartoons. Trust me; they will be happy and so will you!

YouthKiAwaaz.com is an award winning, India's largest online and mobile platform for young people to express themselves on issues of critical importance. This article has been written by a Youth Ki Awaaz Journalist/Contributor. You can submit a contribution too. Click here to write for Youth Ki Awaaz, or submit a photo or video.

Anurag Kumar

i completely agree with you. I used to enjoy them a lot. especially scooby-doo.

AjayzzAttitude

Your article is a little confusing to me….. Can you give any example which shows or which incidence in the program, did you see such that it inspires a child for violence…..?

Anila Kurian

I don’t know anything specific to point out and say ‘this is it’, but if you go through the cartoons that are being viewed today, you’d see that they all involve guns and other heavy armed equipments. And in today’s day and age, since the child is being brought up with such a mentality, he wants to own a gun and destroy his ‘enemies’. Back in the day, it was definitely different because if we ask for a gun, parents make one with a stick and tell us to play with it. Even though we weren’t fully satisfied with it, we used to be okay. This generation is definitely a lot more demanding and they know that even if you get a toy one, they will still want a real one.