From Love Birds To Angry Birds: The Curse Of Short-lived Celebrity Marriages

Posted on October 24, 2012 in Media and Culture

By Shweta Lohia:

“A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person” – Mignon McLaughlin

Perhaps, celebrities do not seem to comprehend the aforementioned lines as their love seems to vanish very quickly. Why is that, celebrities, despite having all the fame and the fortune in the world, swiftly transforms from being ‘lovebirds’ to ‘angry birds’?

Celebrity weddings are all about glamour and glitz. They look dazzling and are extravagant and eye-catching with exotic dresses designed by the best fashion designers in the market, the best locations and the most delicious food. All the famous personalities in the industry always happen to be a part of these wedding ceremonies. These weddings give us that feeling of fairy tales, they are like the weddings of princes and princesses, but do celebrities, like in fairy tales, live happily ever after?

Let us now take a look at another fairy-tale like wedding: The whole nation was waiting for the most powerful couple in Bollywood, ‘saifeena’, to tie the knot. Now that it happened on the 19th of October, Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor are everywhere: right from newspapers to magazines and news-channels. Twitter and Facebook are flooded with their pictures. Their marriage has become an obsession of the nation. But the question that arises is, after so much hype, will they meet the expectations? Will their marriage last long enough? Owing to the fact that in B-town, such cases are seldom.

What affects the marriages of these stars? There are many causes but a major one is their career as it steals a lot of time, that they could have otherwise spent with each other, which is necessary to sustain a happy and successful marriage. Their work deprives them of the focus needed to maintain a marriage. I believe that Madhur Bhandarkar, after Fashion and Heroine, (the former about the life behind the glamorous world of fashion and the latter about the life behind the make-believe world of Bollywood) should come up with a film about the life behind the glamour of celebrity weddings.

Let us take a look at the life behind the glamour of Bollywood weddings: Kareena Kapoor Khan’s father, Randhir Kapoor’s marriage to actor Babita turned out to be a love-affair turned sour. Rajesh Khanna’s marriage to Dimple Kapadia also ended with the latter moving out of the house. Hema Malini’s marriage to Dharmendra also marks a place in this list. The young actors seem to follow in the footsteps of their seniors; Saif Ali Khan’s marriage to Amrita Singh ended after he met an Italian girl named Rosa. Amir Khan, also known as a perfectionist, could not rescue his first marriage. Kareena’s elder sister Karishma Kapoor also divorced her businessman-husband Sanjay Kapoor. This trend however is not only limited to Bollywood, in Hollywood, Kim Kardashian’s seventy-two day marriage to Kris Humphries is one that holds a record of being one of the shortest weddings. Katy Perry and comedian Russel Brand came to India for their wedding ceremony but ended their relationship soon after.

After witnessing so many unhappy relationships we can only wish the newly-weds live happily ever after. Will Saif- Kareena, Abhishek and Ashwairya Rai Bachhan, Geneila and Ritesh Deshmukh sustain a happy marriage? Will they draw inspiration from the likes of Amitabh-Jaya, Shah Rukh – Gauri, Kajol and Ajay? We can only wait and watch!

YouthKiAwaaz.com is an award winning, India's largest online and mobile platform for young people to express themselves on issues of critical importance. This article has been written by a Youth Ki Awaaz Journalist/Contributor. You can submit a contribution too. Click here to write for Youth Ki Awaaz, or submit a photo or video.

Amarpreet Kaur

A successful marriage requires a lot of understanding and patience and above all love, to sustain itself. With the career a that demands a major chunk of their time, these celebrities have a tough going keeping their relationships alive.

shweta

also the hot co-stars that plays a part in depriving them of the focus needed to maintain a healthy marriage!!