An Interview With Shiv Khera

Posted on November 15, 2012 in Interviews

By Shivangi Singh:

I feel privileged to be amongst the first Indian author of an international bestseller in self help/motivational segment.” Shiv Khera on being a bestseller author, a politician and a motivational speaker.

So, your earliest inspiration was Norman Vincent Peale. What about Mr. Peale got you motivated to?

Dr. Norman Vincent Peale probably was a mentor and role model to many people all over the world. The reason he motivated so many people was that he would “walk his talk.” There was congruence between his words and actions, and authenticity in his words, which is what was motivating.

Being the first Indian author to be a bestseller in the self-help/motivational Segment, you are truly in a league of your own. How was the journey?

I feel privileged to be amongst the first Indian author of an international bestseller in self help/motivational segment. The journey to be bestseller was not easy for an unknown author. The biggest challenge was nobody wanted to publish my book. Finding a publisher for an unknown author was tough, but after much struggle and many rejections, eventually I signed up with one of the largest publisher of the world, M/s. Prentice Hall. What really helped were our international workshops that we did on attitude, leadership and motivational values called “Blue Print for Success.”

How was your first book conceived? What inspires you to write?

My first book, ‘You can Win’ was brewing somewhere at the back of my mind may be 35-40 years ago. I actually started penning down the book somewhere around 1993 and completed around 1996.

You are one of the most successful motivational speakers in India. What, according to you can young people drive motivation from? And what do you think should be amongst their biggest learning and values, today?

We must distinguish between inspiration and motivation. Motivation is action, inspiration is thinking. When thinking changes it starts reflecting in behaviour. Hence, we cannot motivate anyone. What we can do is, inspire people to motivate themselves. It raises two major questions, one why do people get it demotivated and two, who or what motivates the motivator?

Till we understand the answers to these two questions, we can never get on auto pilot and unless we get on auto pilot, how long can we expect others to push us from outside. It does not work. Our youth are very concerned about the competition everywhere. The biggest learning that they can get is from those who have succeeded, sustained success and maintained goodwill, they all have lived by one principal, – I will always give more than what I give to my family, my organization, my customers and my society. If we live by this principle, we have no competition. We become the competition.

You also launched a movement against caste-based reservations in India. What motivated you to work on this issue, and what message, with regards of this issue, would you have for young people who would form the future of this nation?

The caste system has been one of the major reasons for the downfall of Indians, which has led to our slavery for the last 1000 years. Caste based reservation today has become the tool in the hands of unscrupulous politicians to divide and rule our society. Caste and communal divide, the kind of hatred reservation is creating, will lead to another divided India during our life time. In my opinion reservation that is based on cast and religion is nothing short of treachery with the nation. The criteria for reservation ought to be economic and not caste and religion.

Which is your favourite book written by you and why?

Besides 12 books on character building for schools, I have written 4 books:

1. You can Win
2. Living with Honour
3. Freedom is not Free
4. You can Sell

They all are my favourite because each one carries the same spirit, but addresses different issues that lead to sustained success, which is integrity.

Who are your role models?

My role models have been Guru Gobind Singh Ji, Swami Vivekanand Ji, Netaji Subhash Chander Bose, Shaheed Bhagat Singh and Sardar Patel. They all had character and courage.

When can we expect a new book from you?

My new book will be coming out in Feb. 2013.

What motivated you to join Politics? Any message you would have for the youth today

What motivated me to join politics was that I could not remain a spectator and see our country being destroyed by corrupt and dishonest politicians. Message to our youth is, if you don’t want to get involved then you have no right to criticize and if we are not part of the solution, we are the problem.

YouthKiAwaaz.com is an award winning, India's largest online and mobile platform for young people to express themselves on issues of critical importance. This article has been written by a Youth Ki Awaaz Journalist/Contributor. You can submit a contribution too. Click here to write for Youth Ki Awaaz, or submit a photo or video.

Anuva Kulkarni

You can Win is a nice inspiration, a reminder that everyone has it in them!