“The 5th Space”: How Many Times Have You Thought Of ‘Self Transformation’

Youth Ki Awaaz is proud to partner with Commutiny Youth Collective to launch a brand new section on YKA – The 5th Space.

How do young people spend their time? At home with family, hanging out with friends, in leisure or at college/workplace. Traditionally these four spaces make up their universe. In all these spaces, their worldview is derived from an already given legacy, through a lens which the society has donned for millennia. Beyond this received wisdom, don’t they need another space which allows them to create their own understanding of the world?

To understand themselves, develop, and grow?
To look at social issues from a systemic lens, and see how they are connected to them?
To deal with conflicts within and around them in society?
To take action that benefits them and the surroundings?

the 5th space

We call this the 5th space.
It is a space where young people develop a psycho-social worldview, which answers the question “Who are we?” (we as in humans – a social species) as opposed to “Who am I?”. This view allows young people to understand and define their connection to the world as it is. The 5th space makes the relationships in the other four spaces count by nourishing and enriching the capacities of young people to take effective and responsible action. The 5th space believes that self transformation is the first step towards creating change in our relationships and in society.

In the coming weeks, you will find special features, interviews and stories on how young people can be a part of this self transformation. Stay tuned!

CYC, in collaboration with Pravah, co-creates 5th Spaces and offers mentoring to youth engaging organizations across different sectors.

About The Author

YouthKiAwaaz.com is an award winning, India's largest online and mobile platform for young people to express themselves on issues of critical importance. This article has been written by a Youth Ki Awaaz Journalist/Contributor. You can submit a contribution too. Click here to write for Youth Ki Awaaz, or submit a photo or video.