See How “Damsel in Distress” Became The Basis Of Most Video Games. “Why Isn’t A Girl The Hero Of Her Own Game?” #CloseTheGap

Damsel in Distress is a plot device in which a female character is placed in a perilous situation from which she cannot escape on her own and must then be rescued by a male character, usually providing a core incentive or motivation for the protagonist’s quest.” Videos that objectify women for pleasure widen the gap between the two genders. Commodification is not fun, neither is it child’s play. Wake up before reality hits hard in ways that you’d be sorry about later.

This clearly shows something that was always in front of us, but we never saw it from a different angle. Why do most video games have a damsel in distress? Why is it necessary for the game to end with her being saved by a Shiny-Teeth-Wide-Smile “HERO”? Why is a girl never the protagonist of her own game? See it all at one place.

Receive the week's top youth opinions right in your mailbox

We hate spam as much as you do!

About The Author

YouthKiAwaaz.com is an award winning, India's largest online and mobile platform for young people to express themselves on issues of critical importance. This article has been written by a Youth Ki Awaaz Journalist/Contributor. You can submit an article too. Click here to write for Youth Ki Awaaz, or to submit a photo or a video.