Doesn’t The ‘Educated’ Youth Discriminate On The Basis Of Caste?

By Nicky Collins:

When I started writing on this topic, I couldn’t help thinking about how oxymoron-ic it sounded. The youth of ‘today’ signify modernity while caste prejudices are supposed to be invariably archaic in both origin and existence, isn’t it? I was convinced that caste prejudices are a thing of the past. I believe that caste discrimination simply cannot infect my generation. Or can it?

-untouchable-lynched-in-n-india-1339014668-3230

While we have really made excellent progress towards establishing an unbiased society, it is regretful that caste is still used to judge a person. Anybody who disagrees with me needs to only turn to the matrimonial column of any daily to understand what I am talking about. Almost every column starts with a classification based on caste. In fact, caste based preference is even more popular than that based on professions. And these are not the stereotypical lathi wielding, conservative old guys depicted in Bollywood movies. We are talking about young people with LLMs and MBAs who still believe that a spouse from the same caste would be better for them! And of course, if family pressure is the grand excuse, there is nothing very ‘educated’ about letting your parents and grandparents decide who you spend the rest of your life with.

With the admission season going on, many students seeking private accommodations frequently come across landlords who ask for their caste first before declaring their rates. Now, it could be argued that since the landlords are not exactly young people, this does not exemplify caste prejudices in the educated youth. However, I assert that turning a blind eye to an evil is possibly worse than committing that evil itself. There is no point in carrying the ‘educated youth’ tag if we do not have the guts to stand up against something that is so inherently wrong — even if it is doing something as ordinary as refusing to state your caste to a biased landlord.

Receive the week's top youth opinions right in your mailbox

We hate spam as much as you do!

About The Author

I am a very regular person in some ways and quite eccentric in many ways (almost bordering on psychotic or at least that is what my friends say). I have a lot of weaknesses but also a few strengths. People around me say I am a good debater ( and many judges in the competitions I have taken part in agree). But my English teacher says that my greatest strong point is my ability to laugh at myself. I have never doubted the veracity of the saying 'The pen is mightier than the sword'. But writing for me is not just a platform to make my views heard. It is also a source of pure joy. Moreover, writing is an unbiased platform - your reader judges you not on the basis of your color, looks or accent but only on the basis of your thoughts. I am presently interning with YKA because I like to make myself heard. And so far, I have had a great time.