DEBATE: Should Women Retain Their Maiden Names Even After Marriage?

Tweet
Add an opinion

A recent Facebook study shows  that there is a recent trend of retaining the maiden name by women after marriage. This becomes very relevant in Indian context given the socio-economic condition of women. However, there is still a social pressure on many women to change their maiden name to that of their husband’s – without having a choice. Do you think that women should retain their maiden name after their marriage?

Tweet
Add an opinion
Like us on FB?  

Disclaimer: Youth Ki Awaaz is an independent, non-partisan media platform. The views of our writers don't necessarily represent the views of the platform. If you disagree with anything we publish, please send us an alternative view, or comment and register your disagreement. Know more about how Youth Ki Awaaz works.

Join the conversation

2 comments

1. stephen dsilva

ya i blv it should be the woman’s choice. n something to be made socially acceptable

2. Retaining the maiden name is a very personal choice.My mother had decided not to change her name after marriage.
    Nowadays, new age bollywood heroins have started the trend of keeping their identity unchanged like Vidya Balan,Kareena Kapoor Khan,Malaika Arora Khan. There should be no pressure from the husband’s family regarding this. The girl getting married already gets to face so many changes in her life, the tradition of changing ones identity should be let go off.

Type to Search

See all results